on 23 January 2015
It might have been from a dud batch (that's me being kind) but the tines on this fork snapped on the application of the first pressure I applied - lifting a dead shrub from a bed. I have used a lot of forks over the years on a lot bigger jobs than this and have not experienced such brittle steel before. This happened after 30 days had elapsed so Amazon does not want to know about it (!). The manufacturer agreed to replace it immediately after seeing the photos, but I'm not convinced the replacement will be any different.
on 16 September 2015
I have used this item precisely three times. The metal at the join of the handle and fork end has snapped and the fork is now completely useless.
Apparently enough time has passed that I may not return this item, but, it is absolutely not fit for purpose if a small amount of digging in a domestic garden is enough to render it useless. Really annoyed that I can't use it, but have to suffer having paid for it. Totally useless. I include a photo, of shiny, new fork, snapped!
review image
on 28 April 2013
I am so far very impressed with this fork, having managed to snap the last brand new fork (different brand) in half with relatively light digging, i dug up two 6 foot conifers with this at the weekend and it came out in perfect condition.
on 14 October 2014
Shortly after I bought the S & J Select stainless border spade with which I was so delighted, what went and happened but that the wooden handle of our ancient fork broke. My husband said we could get another handle (which brought us into the Ronnie Barker sketch territory!) but at this price I was soon able to persuade him to send for this one instead. Like my spade, it is really ergonomically designed and the stainless steel tines don't get so clogged up with the heavy clay on which we garden. My only grouse is that I would myself have preferred a border fork for more precision weeding between existing plants, and for lighter(!!) work for a woman, and we do have another full-sized fork; but this full-sized fork was actually cheaper than the border version.
on 18 February 2014
I like it becouse my father bought one on 1964 and still using it today the prongs are a good bit shorter that's the only reason I bought a new one
on 2 February 2010
Looks great and appears to be nicely made.
Unfortunately, proved fragile in use, prongs break very easily and without warning. I'm only an average 50-something, I don't work out, its only used in a domestic garden but I'm on my third - fortunately I kept my receipt after the first snapped so was able to get a replacement.
Its predecessor was rusty with a wooden handle, was of no particular pedigree, and probably pre-dated Noah - if only this S & J would last even 12 months I'd be happy.
on 2 September 2013
this fork really is the best its strong,well designed, handle comfortable to hold and really does the job would recommend to any gardener
on 8 May 2015
Bought this fork last September (2014), I am not a gardener and it has been used two or three times to merely scratch the surface of flower beds to 'freshen' their appearance. Until today. Today I tried to dig up a clump of grass and two -yes two-fingers of the fork snapped. As someone once said 'I cannot believe it'! As soon as you want it to do a little work it breaks. It's called a 'digging fork'. It looks the part, just as long as you don't expect it to do what you bought it to do.
review image
on 7 July 2013
Well happy! Does exactly as expected. A great quality product and a name you can trust. 5 stars from me.
on 30 May 2015
It's first job was digging over some fairly challenging ground (roots, rocks etc...) ready for turf. Bearing in mind all forks have limitations when it comes to the amount of leverage you can reasonably apply before the tines fail, this one has performed very well. I've leant on it fairly hard and not felt as though it's at the limit. I use strong spade for digging over the really tricky ground. The handle is also very comfortable. Overall, I'm very pleased with it and expect to get several years service from it.

See one answered question