5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute must for the shed!
A great tool that is easy to use and cut through the work I needed it to do in record time. When you get it home make sure you tighten all it's nuts and bolts. You should also avoid feeding the cord through the tempting looking bracket where the two telescopic halves join.
Published on 28 Jun. 2011 by JTN

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not flawless either
I bought the Spear & Jackson telescopic tree pruner to bring an overgrown conifer into line. Firstly, I had an issue with the loper saw attachment, in that one of the holes on the saw which fit on to the pruner, had not been drilled though properly by the maker. Not a big issue, in that I can finish off drilling the hole myself, but not a good start, so I didn't bother...
Published on 13 Feb. 2011 by J47JAG

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute must for the shed!, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Spear & Jackson - Razorsharp Telescopic Tree Pruner (Garden & Outdoors)
I failed to tighten the nuts and lost the cutting head into a neighbour's garden in the first 5 minutes - no problem it was attached to the cord so I pulled it back and refixed it after replacing the bolt I had lost.
Then I had the bright idea of threading the cord through the bracket - Whoops; totally shredded the outer cover, but I took the cord out of the metal hoop and was able to carry on.
10 minutes later I had not only cut enough overgrown laurel to fill 3 large wheelie bins but on the last bendy branch I managed to launch the top half of the telescopic tool into the primary school playground at the back of our garden. This time the cord had gone over the wall as well and the pruner ended up a good 10 feet below me and 15 feet away.
I thought about it and then realising how light it was I used some oversized magnets on a piece of string to fish for it and pull it up and over the school wall. I had been inspired to urgently resolve the problem when my wife painted a picture of what the grand children would do if they found all this cutting power and the saw I had attached to the head!
Once back in our garden I removed the tool head and the end cap at the base of the main telescopic handle and pushed the top half back through the bottom half and reassembled the pruner.
The tool is great fun, it works brilliantly and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Ok my pruner is looking a little sorry for itself after 30 minutes use but having replaced the cord I know that the next time I go into action, whatever happens, I can rebuild it.......as long as I get the important bits back!
If you tighten it up before using you will probably find you miss all the fun I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spear and Jackson Tree Pruner, 8 Aug. 2010
Excellent value for money ([...]).
Cutting blade works well, I have used it to cut branches an inch in diameter quite easily.
For larger branches the saw is excellent.
Can be used as a hook to retrieve those cut branches that become lodged in the tree.
Cons
A little on the heavy side, especially when extended. However, I have used it quite easily from ladders, though I am male and 6ft plus in height.
Actuating rope can become tangled in branches. There are pruners on the market which have the rope inside the pole, but these are much more expensive than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Telescopic Tree Pruner, 28 July 2011
Ruth Hopkins-Green (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is the bee's knees !

After years of risking my own limbs teetering on a ladder trying to prune an especially annoying massive chestnut tree, I finally saw the light and decided to buy a telescopic tree pruner. As usual, before deciding on a particular model I read reviews of many of them before plumping for this one from Spear & Jackson, which had far and away better reviews, and am so glad I did. The pruning action is very smooth ... simply hang the top edge of the pruner on a limb and pull the cord to bring up the slicing blade (with not much effort) and whoosh, the limb is sliced through and down it comes! When the pole is fully extended there's a very slight and understandable wobble due to the weight of the pruner above, but that's only when the pole is held at an angle rather than perfectly vertical; it just takes a bit of getting used to and doesn't detract from the efficiency of the pruner one bit.

I haven't tried using the saw attachment yet, which will be needed for limbs more than 1" in diameter, but am hugely impressed with the pruner element. The tool is simple to use, the blade is very sharp, and I would recommend this pruner to anyone. AND it comes with a 10 year warranty. My only regret is that I didn't buy this years ago.

By the way, I'm a woman and well past the first flush of youth.

4.0 out of 5 stars DOES THE JOB, 28 July 2010
I found the pruner sharp, and reasonably easy to manage although my husband found it easier. Only problem was when the saw became detached and fell to the ground. This, we discovered was because after using the pruner for some time the wing nut and washer worked loose. Would advise users not to attach the saw, unless intending to use it. Could have caused a serious accident if the saw had hit my husband beneath it. Blades very sharp. Otherwise, a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance-check screws, 14 Jun. 2010
Gizmophobic - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a useful tool for anyone who has any high pruning to do. Also for those not too keen on ladders you can greatly extend what you can reach on the ground. Its easy to adjust but quite hard work on its full extension-(I wouldn't fancy going on a ladder with this)-I haven't tried the saw yet but seems simply to fit although I expect even harder work.
Just one tip-the wing nuts and bolts should be checked before and after use as they can work loose, especially when trying to pull through thick growth-and while they seem easily replacable -you don't want to be trying to find them in the undergrowth.
Overall -well constructed and designed-good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spear & Jackson tele pruner, 22 July 2010
Mr. D. Walker "Dennis" (Wirral) - See all my reviews
A bit top-heavy, to be expexted with all the cutting gear at the top of the pole.
I like the ajustable cord-grip handle, blade still very sharp after using for many hours. Once you are hooked onto the branch you need to cut you can relax a bit while you adjust the cord handle. Well Built.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the job, 23 Oct. 2010
Found this on Amazon at the same price as Argos, who didn't have any! V popular.
Have only used the pruner so far. hence "only" 4*, but it works brilliantly. Pole extends up to about 11 feet and the pruner fixed jaw just hooks over the branch, so removing the need to support it once in position. Pull the string & branch pruned, easy.
The saw blade is VERY sharp so beware the possibility of injury.
Have read about bolts coming loose but so far not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 10 Jan. 2011
Mark A. Botham "markabotham" (Notts, England) - See all my reviews
After getting a quote of £120 to trim my tree and the top of my hedges I decided to give this a look.
The previous reviews are spot-on. It can be quite heavy when at full length but you soon figure how to position it for ease of use. I still think you're better being on ladders then not having it at full extension.
I tried to snip the top of my hedge away that was a bit time consuming doing individual stalks.
I therefore decided to have a go on my tree. Their own review says it is good for small branches, but I manages to lop off 2 to 3 inch branches easily. The saw attachment was also very sharp. The butterfly nuts work themselves free easily; I lost 1 within an hour.
Overall though, for the money I am thoroughly impressed & glad I did not buy anything that needed petrol & this was more than adequate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Item, 21 Jun. 2012
Needed to prune back some higher branches and balancing on a ladder with some hand-loppers wasn't working so for the price and seeing the reviews thought I'd try this.
Very pleased I did, much less hassle and effort and removed some quite chunky branches with the cutter and a couple of larger ones with the saw.
Only negatives are the cord can get a bit tangled around other brancehs but that is a minor.
And as per many other reviews - the wing nuts come loose very quickly (I lost one getting it out of the packaging!).
In truth the only one you need to get on and off is the one that attaches the saw so...
Replace the 3 holding the head on with M6 nyloc nuts (99p for 10 off eBay) - these are anti-vibration so won't come off - in fact put 2 on each bolt and they'll never come off.
The other one don't leave on the lopper - take it off and keep it with the saw blade. Job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 July 2011
Purchased this to cut down a 20ft conifer,fair enough I had to use a ladder to reach higher branches but it was so easy,my wife watched in amazement as branch after branch came down with no effort,the blade is razor sharp needs no pressure at all,I read other reviews before I purchased this and took advise to tighten all the wing nuts & keep checking them for coming loose but I had no problems, all in all it did its job downed a 20ft conifer in less than an hour,highly reccomend this product worth every penny.

Spear & Jackson - Razorsharp Telescopic Tree Pruner