5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Rock and Roll
I'll be honest, I didnt like the Stereophonics before. There is odd good song like "Have a nice day", but they always seemed boring. So imagine my suprise when I hear "Dakota" on the radio. On the strength of that song I bought this album and I was not disapointed.
Published on 10 Mar 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars Bottom of the pile
I absolutely love the Phonics, but not this album. Described by many critics as a return to form after the turgid effort You Gotta Go There To Come Back. Far from it! All albums before Language. Sex. Violence. Other? are solid classics, never far from my stereo. This album though i find virtually unlistenable. Its just a lazy mechanical chugg along. Dakota being the one...
Published on 13 Oct 2007 by Mr. S. A. Perrin

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Rock and Roll, 10 Mar 2006
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
"Superman" is a laid back, swaggering song, full of confidence. Kelly Jones sings falsetto excellently. "Doorman" instantly explodes into life, probably the heaviest, most rocking track on the album. Guitarists (like me) will love the scorching solo at the end. "Brother" and "Devil" are both straight up rock songs, catchy and full of assurance.
"Dakota", the first single, is a fantastic song, with hooking melodies and strong lyrics. "Rewind" is a slower paced song that still fits on the album and is more listenable than anything (except Madame Helga) off the last album.
"Girl" is a short, explosive song, full of thrashy guitars and agression.
Now for a suprise. Dakota is not the best song on the album. The best is lurking at track 10 and is called "Deadhead" Man, this song is awesome! The intro, carried by this bass, is full of menace, hinting at whats to come. There are wailing distorted lead guitar moments everywhere. The verses are sharp and melodic and the chorus is superb, very catchy. It ends with a cool guitar solo and an extended chorus. This is definatly the best song the 'phonics have ever written.
So there are the highlights, but all the songs are good. Buy this album, it rocks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but isn't that a good thing?, 18 April 2005
This album is great.
I've read previous reviews and I agree, P&C and WGA were awesome albums with excellent lyrics and catchy tunes. But I enjoyed JEEP and YGGTTCB as well. They weren't the same style and Language... is different again. But One thing that nobody can disagree with is that the 'Phonics have given their fans 5 good quality albums which cater for any mood you can be in.
Highlights on this album for me were Devil, Superman and obviously Dakota. I think this album should please current fans as it shows that Kelly etc are not getting stuck in a rut music wise, they are trying different styles and personally I think this one quite suits them. One thing's for certain, it shows up the manufactured pop that dominates today's chart for the rubbish it really is. This is music.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am new to the phonics but......., 18 July 2005
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
I lived in Wales for many years and I never really "got" the phonics! BUT this is a superb album and I will be looking back over their catalogue to see what I missed in my lesser informed days.
The reviews on here tend to be long time phonics fans saying this album rocks or "it sucks and they were far better back in the day when tv was black and white yadda yadda"
If you have no prior exposure to the band and want to know if this is any good if you aint a preformed fan then .... IT IS!
This album rocks, pure and simple. They may have made better albums and I will certainly be checking out their back catalogue but this album still rocks. Dakota is getting airtime now and I 1st heard it on tv, having got hold of the album there are a number of classic tracks - Rewind, Lolita, Feel and the winner Dakota. A thoroughly enjoyable ablum, has been playing non stop on my ipod for a week now, the sort of album that you can kill an hour with and not notice it pass.
For the people who claim to have hit the "next" button 11 times after 10 seconds of each track ..... well ok but thats hardly giving it a chance, the best albums I have ever heard have bitten me second or third play. if it hits you 1st time its usually disposable pop you will be sick of after half a dozen plays. This album has me hooked.
And if you happen to really hate it theres always ebay.
Highly recommended, by the way "deadhead" is superb also - playing now!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars only Stereophonics album Ive ever truly liked......., 19 July 2006
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
Although I've never thought of the welsh radio-friendly nice guys the Stereophonics as truly that dull (US 'rock' bands such as Creed *shudder* take up that special spot), previous Kelly Jones albums for me have never truly inspired, bar the odd track or two (ie some of their more interesting singles, Mr Writer). This album is different to before, but its definately one that's going to split the hardcore fans down the middle because of it, as the material is alot harder and more downbeat than ever - yes, read: more passionate. Tracks such as Superman and Deadhead (one of the best on the album) even lend towards a U2 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me' era, or even Marilyn Manson-esque mood, with all distorted guitars and modified vocals. Thats not to say that all there is here is just pure attitude - songs such as the retro '80s electro rock sounding Dakota and Rewind give a nice reflective balance to this, making up a very solid and worthwhile album.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Stereophonics albums ever!, 8 Jun 2006
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
Language Sex Violence Other is one of the Stereophonics greatest albums and possibly the best album released in 2005.

Fans of the Stereophonics earlier works like Word Gets Around and Performance and Cocktails were disappointed with albums like Just Enough Education to perform where the Stereophonics stopped being a "rock band" for a while.

However this album proves once again that the Stereophonics are the greatest UK rock band so far in the 21st century.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great news, 18 Mar 2005
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
Ok, cards on the table, the first album was awe inspiring the second, was good, but the last two have been tired (save for a couple of exceptions), and lacking in ideas and songs. This new album however, is a different proposition...its really good. I would say nearly on a level with "Word...", and easily as good as "Performance.." . Gone are the Black Crowes-esque blues pub rockers and soul backing vocals and in come new ideas and good solid rock songs. Standout tracks for me are Superman (fast becoming a favourite - slightly behind Local Boy in Photograph), Pedalpusher and Dakota, plus special mention for the lovely guitar line in the chorus of Lolita.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stereophonics Strikes Back, 10 July 2005
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
Apart from the uninspiring title, the album seem to re-launch the phonics into a harder and fresher approach to their music, perhaps aided by the intorduction of Javier, the new and more energetic drummer.
Among the popular melodies of Dakota and Superman are the hidden gems such as Doorman, Devil and Pedalpusher. Although the complexities of Superman suit some, I find the repetitive tune of Pedalpusher very pleasing. Fans will be pleased to find hints of the more melodic music from previous albums revisited in the forms of Dakota and Rewind. Rockers will be pleased to discover the new image of Superman, Doorman and Deadhead will suit the phonics well.
I struggle to find any faults with the newest album from the phopnics. The start of the album launches listeners into a frenzy of rock whilst giving a pleasant break from the rough and tough stuff in the middle in the forms of Dakota and Rewind. The album ends with a soothing, but somewhat drony and emotionless track of Feel.
All in all, an album well worth buying to suit all audiences from rockers to popular music listeners. The new album of the phonics suggests that they are moving with the times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Jan 2006
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
I think this has to be one of my favourite albums. I can't see why you wouldn't like this, it has "rocking" melodies and great lyrics and is perfect to listen to anytime. Particular favourites have to be Devil, Superman, Dakota, Lolita and Deadhead with Devil and Dakota being the stand-out tracks. I think this will please Stereophonics fans and bring in new fans (such as myself). So my advice would be to purchase this stunning album!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It takes some getting used to, 2 April 2005
J. Rhodes "roadie_13" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
The first two albums from the Stereophonics were fantastic, whereas albums 3 and 4 were ok, but not up to the bands standard. As a massive Streophonics fan, I was hoping that this album would be a vast improvement.
Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (named after the themes listed on the back of DVDS), is so much better than JEETP and YGGTTCB: lots of rock songs with good guitar riffs and clever (if sometimes weird) lyrics. Dakota is by far the best song on this album, and was a good choice for the first release. But that doesn't mean the other songs aren't good: Lolita is quite summery in the harmonies, and Push The Pedal is cool.
This album has required a few listens: I'm still trying to get into that 'I love that record!' phase, but I'm sure that its only another listen away.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Return To Form, 7 Feb 2005
This review is from: Language. Sex. Violence. Other? (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of The Stereophonics since their fantastic debut album 'Word Gets Around', yet I thought that their last two offerings lacked some of their previous energy and they were in danger of becoming jaded. I thought the same of fellow Welsh rockers The Manics too, but like The Manic's latest offering, this too sees The 'Phonics return to top form.
Gone are the slower, melancholy tracks that, while good, have lowered the tone of previous albums, and back are loads of pumping, heavier tracks. The whole thing chuggs along at a great pace and I found myself tapping my foot to pretty much every track on the first listen. It all ended too soon at only 11 tracks, but better to leave you wanting more than padding it out with filler and then never really getting to track 15....
Maybe their new drummer injected some new venom, but whatever the reason it's good to see them back to their best. Shame about the title, though.

Language. Sex. Violence. Other?
Language. Sex. Violence. Other? by Stereophonics (Audio CD - 2005)