5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of educational fun!
Published on 16 Feb 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars kids interest lasted a few days, then...
given as an xmas present to an 8 year old, he played for hours making various things, without too much help, and despite other items such as wii games, etc, being available. But a few days later the novelty wore off and its now been on the shelf for a month

the fuses have a tendancy to blow easily, a few spares are given but they'll not last long...
Published on 9 Feb 2009 by J. Hutton

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of educational fun!, 16 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
I bought this electronics set for my 8 year old daughter 3 months ago and she is still playing with it all the time, the instructions are very easy to follow, the pieces are numbered and click together easily. There are so many things to make with this set, one of the favourites being the disc that flys into the air, and the radio. This set never gets boring once you have finished making all of the items in the booklet you can always start making up your own. Definately a very good buy and very educational

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Wires, 13 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
I have two boys, aged 4 and 7 and they love this toy. Between them they have built basic circuits that light bulbs and switch noises on and off; a flying disc (which snapped early on when it all got too exciting, and so now glued spins like a fan but won't fly) and then to their delight an fm radio (that you can tune in to different stations) and a burglar alarm. And there are still over 100 experiments to do! The components snap together really easily and there are clear instructions on how to build the different circuits which they can follow without my help. This has been a complete success!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 12 Mar 2007
Dr. I. M. Brown "Rachel Brown" (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
My 9 year old son just opened this for his birthday. What a wonderful toy. He was able to make a flying saucer, lie detector and traffic lights straight away. He says it is wicked!!! I would recommend this to any other budding electrician.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb set, 6 Oct 2005
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
This is an excellent kit and to categorise it as a 'toy' is wrong in all senses of the word. My 8 year old loves it and his friends are amazed. It has just had one component fail (because he was messing about and managed to overload the circuit), I emailed the company and they have sent me a replacement part FoC! There are endless circuits to make which means that there is no need to experiment until you know what you are doing and it is also great fun to do - especially the flying disc, the radios, bedroom intruder detection alarm and the morse code machine to name but a few. It is not cheap, but for value for money I would give it 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 29 Jan 2009
H. C. Upton "Harvu" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
I bought this for my grandson after reading the good Amazon reviews. I played with valves, discreet transistors and soldering irons like lots of kids in the sixties. Burnt fingers and a bit of lead poisoning aside, we learnt a lot about how things work. This kit to a degree sanitises and compartmentalises electronics but so what - it is highly educational, lots of fun and you get quick results that generate lots of questions. Just buy it - if only to play with it yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars They can't put it down!, 28 Dec 2006
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
I bought this for my 9 year old son for Christmas and both he and his 12 year old sister have already had hours of fun with it. Not only do they replicate the experiments in the very excellent instruction manual but they have moved on to inventing their own electrical experiments with some pretty impressive results. It is well packaged with a place for everything and so simple to use. I think that is the beauty of the thing - instant gratification with excellent results. Don't tell the children but I've had a go myself - it really is fascinating. If the manufacturers produce an up-graded model, I might just get one for myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A BRILLIANT TOY - AND GREAT VALUE, 5 Jan 2006
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
Bought for my 8 year old son for Christmas, this toy is providing endless hours of educational fun and he's still got loads of things to make with it. It's been the most successful toy we've ever bought (preferred even to last year's Gameboy and Robosapien!)- and the most gratifying because he's learning so much while he's playing. Totally brilliant design - should win awards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and interesting, 5 Feb 2008
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
I have started to use this with my 10 year old grandson. It is well made, has clear instructions and a large number of components. The fan- or flying disc if the polarity is reversed- produced much amusement. We also managed to blow 2 fuses- but that's how you learn. I rang John Adams who have promptly sent 17 yes 17 spare fuses for free!
A good kit and top class service. Nice to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant toy, 4 Aug 2006
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
My eight year old has a real butterfly attention span, but this engrossed her from the first experiment onwards. Her friends - of 11 and over are totally engrossed by this. Absolutely brilliant toy - the only thing I'd recommend is that the components had their names printed on them somewhere so kids get used to calling them by their names. Fantastic value too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electrickery!, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit (Toy)
You know when you see a toy that you really wish you'd had yourself as a child, only to reluctantly have to then come to terms with the fact that the only way you can legitimately get your grubby little mitts on it as a grown-up is to buy it for someone else (otherwise you just look a bit, well, weird really)...? This is just such an item.

My two little home-educated relatives (aged 8 and 5) were the ones with a far more perspicacious benefactor than I ever had. Although I can't remember anything even remotely as well-thought out as this ever being available when I was a kid anyway. Facts like those do nothing to help to ease that profound sense of envy I feel as I watch them both playing with this, mind you. No - not playing with this - learning with it. And having fun with it too, to the point where I really don't feel like I can simply shove the pair of them out of the way and have a go with it myself. I always like to reserve the right to go and sulk in the corner though, if they don't at least let me be the supervising adult in their experiments. Fortunately, you don't need any scientific knowledge whatsoever to tackle anything in the glossy instruction booklet - which makes it totally and utterly up my street, never mind theirs.

Everything about this kit is impressive. 112 experiments, ranging from 'Making a Simple Circuit' to making an 'FM Radio with Automatic Station Selection', and all you have to do to bring them to life is to follow the instructions in the accompanying diagrams (that just means recognising which colour / letter coded pieces you need, which is an absolute doddle). The various components all clip together very nicely on the base board and the result is an immense amount of self-satisfaction as a bulb lights up or a speaker starts wailing like a fire engine. And I know the kids get rather a lot out of it too.

That minimum age of 8 is fine in terms of actually getting involved with the building of the experiments, but 5 years olds can contribute a good deal as well, under the appropriate supervision. Mind you, if it was down to her we would never get beyond the third experiment; it involves sending a little plastic yellow 'spinner' whizzing into the air and, I have to say, it is good fun.

Oh, you will need to arm yourself with 4 AA batteries before surrendering this item to its lucky recipients. That's quite important because, being an electronics set, it does need to have batteries. Otherwise nothing happens. Something that didn't occur to me until the box had been opened and I was trying to drum up four half-used AA batteries, very much under pressure, from any old suitable gadget I could find.

For those of a scientific mind who want to know more about how the experiments work, there are a few words about each one on each relevant page. The language is kept pretty user-friendly (even for me, and that's saying something) although, inevitably, there is electronic jargon along the journey. Each brightly coloured component is afforded the respect of being associated with its proper (if possibly highly intimidating) name at the beginning of booklet, whereupon they all seem happy to be referred to in the pages that follow by harmless-sounding aliases.

This is a fantastically engaging product, which is practical and offers much in educational terms; but the science does not intrude upon the simple enjoyment of 'making things work'. Anyone can enthusiastically master the experiments, with the option to learn the whys and wherefores afterwards if they want to.

Which makes me wish even more that I had been lucky enough to have one of these as a kid!

John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit