4.0 out of 5 stars North Sea Memories
Published on 18 Dec 2005 by Mr D J HAMPSON

3.0 out of 5 stars A cut version of the film.
I enjoy westerns, especially from my youth. Some were quite violent but that was part of the appeal. I noted while watching the film that it jumped about a bit and the action seemed tame. Having watched the whole film I realisde that unfortunately this film appears to have been reduced from its original 90 minutes to 87.

Not much you would think but it does...
Published on 24 Feb 2010 by One of the Slavs

3.0 out of 5 stars A cut version of the film., 24 Feb 2010
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)

Not much you would think but it does affect the film. I presume that in order to get a 15 certificate the film violence has been removed. Most notible for me was one section where Burt was riding Indian style between two horses, galloping for cover, we cut to a baddy with his rifle, and then we cut to Burt getting up off the ground. To me the suspence of the film is removed when it is sanitised by the removal of the violence of its era.

I suggest therefore that as a general rule, before you buy the UK DVD of past films you check the running time and see if it has been cut and also note the rating. I see that the US version is the full 90 minutes so I intend to get the US version and will report again.

On gereral matters of quality it is a film of the period and some times the sound is poor. The story and acting are slightly wooden but it is a star vehicle. But if like me you want the film as you watched it in the past get the full length version. There are several violent westerns of the 60s and 70s and I know I will be looking in my Haliwell before buying the UK dvd of say Chatos Land, Ulzanas Raid or the Professionals.

I can now add that I have seen the US version which is full length and the various scenes cut from the UK release are in place. You can make your own choice as to which you want to see.

I have also now seen the well informed comments from "Broken Eyes" and "PRockall" and they both make sense to me. A combination of loss in transfer as well as cuts.

4.0 out of 5 stars North Sea Memories, 18 Dec 2005
Mr D J HAMPSON (Barry, Vale of Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
I first watched this film on a Norwegian drillship in 1973, before satellite TV or videos were available. We had 3 movies, a comedy with Dick Emery (passable), a biopic of Richard Strauss (unbearable!), and Valdez is Coming which is a sort of superior spaghetti western. We watched it most nights for 3 weeks and I have now bought the DVD to see if it is as good as my memories of it.
I remember the excellent photography and the evocation of hot arid landscapes, supported by excellent performances by Burt Lancaster and the Buffalo Rifle. Well worth watching for sentimental reaasons alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Valdez is Coming, 18 Dec 2011
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
Burt Lancaster was getting on a bit when he made this one (he was 57) and so was a good choice to play Valdez, a cavalry veteran of the Apache wars who is now working as a Sheriff in what he believes is a quiet little town. Unfortunately, local rich man Tanner forces him to shoot a suspect dead, who turns out to be innocent, so he decides he must get money for the deceased man's wife. Tanner is less than forgiving so Valdez decides he must exact revenge in order for justice. Lancaster shines and the supporting cast are all quite good in a formulaic, yet entertaining story. This is a solid 70s Western, that whilst not as good as some, is still above average, and should have a worthy place in the collection of any Westerns fan. 3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
Westerns are like hurling matches. There is no such thing a bad hurling match. A film that showed what the wild west was like.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad editing ruins what couldve been a really great movie!darn it!!, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
Burt Lancaster is brilliant in the part of Valdez,but the editing is so bad,it really ruins the movie.You can see it would've been a crackin film but just amerteurish awful editing ruined it.The character he pertrays is so good.A mild and meek sheriff who is set upon after trying to stand up for what he think is right.He goes back to basics and goes all out to get retribution for an Indian Woman,but as said the truly awful Editing ruins what could've been a classic.I loved what I could make of it,but,its pants,otherwise!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lancaster at his best a good western of the time and well worth ..., 6 July 2014
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
Just how I had remembered it when it first came out, Lancaster at his best a good western of the time and well worth the money, it also arrived very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
This is a film I have seen few years ago, which I recently found on amazon, this is tribute to Burt Lancaster acting, brilliant story well portrade , if you like westerns then you will enjoy this film, I received this dvd well within delivery times and would consider this seller again. So if you want a good night in with good film go get it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 5 July 2013
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
Burt Lancaster at his very best ... Sunday afternoon ... pouring with rain ... pop it in the DVD player and enjoy one of the best westerns ever made ... and some of the grandest moustaches you'll ever see !

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
If you like old fashioned westerns a must for your collection. On e man sticking to his guns against many.

4.0 out of 5 stars Valdez is coming., 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) (DVD)
Burt Lancaster is a great actor & in this film he played a quiet spoken sherriff who gets his revenge.

Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971)
Valdez Is Coming [DVD] (1971) by Edwin Sherin (DVD - 2005)
4.13