4.0 out of 5 stars Amos' overflowing garden - a sensual, soft-focus epic
Tori Amos was one of the most successful and significant singer-songwriters of the 1990s, and perhaps the finest female singer-songwriter since Joni Mitchell. However, her early albums, which were semi-confessional, bloodletting, emotional epics of intense drama have tended to cast her eternally as angst-ridden or fiery. Which makes subtle works like 2002's Scarlet's Walk...
Published on 11 April 2007 by M.B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Tori...
With every will in the world I wanted to love this album, I really needed this album; I've tried, and tried again, but, as with Scarlet's Walk and Strange Little Girls, I hate to say it, but I'm bored. Tori Amos does emotion like no other - she took off Kate Bush's mantle and shook it to a new level, innovative, exciting, demanding. I worry for anyone who is introduced to...
Published on 3 Mar 2005 by DBT

4.0 out of 5 stars Tori back on track, 27 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
After seeing Tori Amos's recent performance at London's Carling Apollo and listening to The Beekeeper.I realised that Tori's back to the high standard of her earlier recordings which I treasured . Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, and Boys for Pele.After Boys for Pele I have found it hard to digest any of Tori's albums, however after constantly playing the Beekeeper it has eventually bowled me over . Tori's vocals are somewhat darker in tracks such as Parasol ,General Joy, Original Sinsuality. On tracks such as Jamaica Inn, Barons of suburbia and Mary of the seas. the vividness and chracter of her creative lyrics come to life.The Beekeeper offers Tori's versatile keyboards from frilly piano chords to lacey electro grooves. Tori takes you on a trip through fairy tale lands.My favourite tracks are Martha's Foolish Ginger, Ireland and Barons of Subarbia. I'd be lying to say that I enjoyed all 19 tracks , but have found this a mature collection from one of pop musics' most underated artists and find it hard to believe that, Damien Rice who guests on track Orange knickers can have an album of superior sales to this vaste talent. Or that Kylie and Sugarbabes could outsell the excellence of Tori Amos. The Beekeeper is worth a listen , however if you want an introduction to Tori Amos albums start with Under the Pink and Little Earthquakes as The Beekeeper is more of an advanced collection which I assume will appeal to Tories fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen of the Concept album, 21 Feb 2005
Tori's last album (scarlets walk) was an exciting,often harrowing travelogue inspired by America and the atrocities of the Twin Towers disasters. Hailed by many critics as Tori's best album she chose to follow up Scarlets walk with two albums in quick succession (Tales of a Librarian - a best of),(Welcome to Sunny Florida - Live album). Now comes Tori's new album, and guess what? Its another concept album! This time its about "The coming storm" and im not really sure what that means but Tori has delivered an album of equal standard to Scarlets Walk.
This time around Tori broadens the musical palette she creates with, using her beloved Bosendorfer, a vintage organ, gospel choirs, and a backing band, along with guest vocalist Damien Rice (on the sublime "Power of Orange Knickers").
The album starts off in familiar territory with "Parasol", inspired by the painting "seated woman with a parasol", before sliding into the very radio friendly,almost R'n'B "Sweet the Sting". The previously mentioned "Power of Orange Knickers" is next,seemingly about domestic violence with its line "can someone tell me who is this terrorist, can someone tell me a way out of this". This is one of the albums highlights and deserves a single release although i doubt that will happen. Jamaica Inn is next and is very pleasant, perhaps inspired by Tori's surroundings in Cornwall! The next highlight of the album is "Barons of Suburbia", with its liquid melodies and absolutely gorgeous organ playing. This song will stand the test of time and probably end up becoming a live favourite. The single "Sleeps with Butterflies" is up next, a slightly bland offering, although its a pretty little song it doesnt go anywhere and meanders lazily through four or so minutes before things liven up again with "General Joy". "Mother Revolution" i can live without, one of Tori's faults when releasing albums is sometimes she can get quality/quantity confused. This album probably would be an instant classic if it was trimmed ever so slighty!!!From here on Tori doesnt put a foot wrong with the next 3 or 4 tracks, special mention goes to "Ribbons Undone", a very gentle song with beautiful lyrics,seemingly inspired by Tori's daughter.
Id skip the next two tracks, "Original Sinsuality" and "Ireland", both could've been left off the album and wouldnt have been missed. Again down to Quality control! The album picks up again with the title track "the Beekeeper" which sounds very similar to the electronically inspired album "To Venus and Back", the last few tracks slide by in a pleasant haze, partcular mention going to "Goodbye Pisces" with its gorgeous piano melodies. The album ends on a quiet note with "Toast".
So all in all a very well rounded album if you ignore the misfires!! Take off a couple of the weaker tracks and youd have an instant classic, but as it stands this is still up there with Tori's best work. Definately worth investigating and definately worth buying!!

2.0 out of 5 stars a disappointment - where have you gone tori?, 24 Feb 2005
i have loved tori amos since the first single release from little earthquakes and listening to this album brings tears to my eyes for all the wrong reasons. where has the tori we all know and love gone? in her place is a bland, cloying, middle of the road shadow - not someone i would recognise from listening to her earlier albums. in fact, after listening to this first time i had to play 'under the pink' to remind me what she is really capable of.
her voice is there, but with non of the intensity of previous works. the piano is buried under some of the most twee production to be found this side of a dido album. the tunes somehow fail to distinguish themselves from each other even after several listenings. you know it's a tori album but somehow you can't bring yourself to believe it.
i bought this album because i believe that tori is one of the greatest musicians of recent times, and even this effort (or lack of it) won't change that, but i was saddened that i can't bring myself to enthuse about even a single track. listening to tori's recent live work shows that she is still one of the most exciting live performers around but somehow she decides not to transfer this into her studio work.
i would still advise all tori fans to have a listen to this. i was surprised that everyone else seems to like it and i'm glad to hear that they didn't feel the same sense of disappointment as me. i just feel that the edge has come off of a lady who once took us all to somewhere we had never been before and dropped us back exhausted but exhilirated. let's hope that her next album is something to get excited about...

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
Many people has written not so good, about this album, and that made me very happy, when i bought this album, and it was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars aww great album, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
quick delivery, My copy of this album had its day through over use and it's soo lovely to have it back again. I just adore this album as do many other sensitive souls

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet repeat, 14 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
I had really high expectations on this one, but Tori fails to impress me this time. Somehow she has always managed to reinvent herself on every album, but this feels like a quite lame repeat of the last album. I want to like The Beekeeper, but I can't help but miss the humour and charm from her previous albums.
The melodies, the lyrics, her voice... it's almost painfully cute (sugar overdose, full of butterflies, my little ponies, ribbons and honey), but says nothing to me. The only really charming track is probably "Hoochie Woman", which has a little bit of spirit and not just plain sweetness.
It's not a bad album. It's really sweet. But nothing more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power Of Tori, 3 Mar 2005
I was disappointed with Scarlet's Walk. It was too flowery and whimsical compared to the Tori I love (and a bit long...) When I heard the Beekeeper was 19 tracks long, my heart sank. I thought it was going to be another Scarlet. But I was wrong. From the first listen I loved this album. Yes, it is long, but in my opinion, every single song(or girl)deserves to be on this album. Every song stands out in it's own right. The songs are funny, beautiful, strong, sexy, powerful...I could go on
Here are some of the standout tracks, (really is ALL of them, I just don't want to bore people)
Ribbons Undone - Beautiful
Toast - Possibly even more beautiful
Sweet The Sting - Shake shake shake me sane
Barons of Suburbia - Beautiful and scary - She has risen
The Beekeeper - Fantastically experimental
The Power of Orange Knickers - Silly name? Great song
Goodbye Pisces - Tori's gone all Chinese
Hoochie Woman - Funny, woo hoo hoo
Witness - Just listen....
General Joy - Great Piano and vocals - Tori sounds great
Marys of the Sea - Hey, I am not in your way
Original Sinsuality - Short and sweet
Just buy the album, the best since Choirgirl. Trust me, I'm a Tori fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Tori never fails, 7 April 2005
Maryam Hosseini "crescent" (atlanta, ga) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
The thing that I have loved about every Tori Amos album is that hte more I listen, the more I love...and it's the same for The Beekeeper. Like a lot of other Toriphiles, I didn't quite get the cd the first time I heard it, but the second time and onwards, I was hooked. I love that each tori amos CD is different and this one is, I feel, completely unique (even though there are a couple of momments reminiscent of Scarlet's Walk). Every song has a different style and there are soooo many layers that, like Boys For Pele, I could listen to it for years and still find something new everytime.
Thanks Tori for everything

3.0 out of 5 stars Weeellll..., 5 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
All fans are having mixed feelings about this album... but I'm rather sorry to say that I have to agree with those who find it less than satisfactory... I love Tori to pieces but this work is so BORING! Well, the layout is nice, but the songs are so average and kinda dull. I think part of the mistake was having a long 19 track album when 12 or even 10 would have been sufficient... even better. Its just that most of these songs are the same monotonous drone - a sort of summery half-hearted jazz with a couple of lullaby drums in the back. The Beekeeper, though fairly pleasing to the ear possesses nothing mysterious or dark (save for maybe the Beekeeper and the latter part of Martha's Foolish Ginger). and though the lyrics are still clever - the songs dont make you want to persevere and listen to the whole thing.
I saw Tori at Hammersmith Apollo and she was incredible - putting on a really fantastic show, that I thoroughly enjoyed - and it was here that The Beekeeper became better for me - better because it was live I suppose, but even so, I would have preferred to here more songs from her early career. The best tracks have, at last sorted themselves and they are: Parasol, Cars & Guitars, Hoochie Woman and Martha's Foolish Ginger... otherwise, you might want to stick to Under The Pink, From The Choirgirl Hotel or Scarlet's Walk which possesses a harder, stronger and more autobiographical edge.
The Beekeeper? A worthy Amos album... well, yes and no. I think its best you decide...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not classic Tori, 26 April 2005
Ms. R. Brabazon "spark101" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
I have been one of Tori's biggest fans for years. I've been completely obsessed with her! But I have to agree with the other reviewers who are disappointed with The Beekeeper. I was extremely excited about this album's release, and have been listening to it a lot, to see if I can get into it more, as I wasn't into Scarlet's Walk at first but then it became a firm favourite. The words boring and bland have been used a lot regarding this album, and it's true that some of the songs are just that. There are some good songs:
Parasol: catchy and melodic
Mary of the Seas: shows Tori's passionate side and has a great
rousing chorus
Barons of Suburbia: becoming a favourite, has a really good melody, more like the old Tori
Sleeps with Butterflies: a beautiful love song
However, this album is nothing compared to Boys for Pele and Choirgirl Hotel, which are raw, unique, and Tori at her best. These two albums are not mainstream, but Tori at her best isn't mainstream. If you are a die hard Tori fan like me, then of course you have to get this as you have to get everything! But expect to be diappointed. You'll have to get out Tori's early albums, and B sides for the true amazing Tori experience.
I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that she is happily married with a child now? Some of her best work was created when she was raped (Little Earthquakes) split up from her long term boyfriend (Boys for Pele) and had a miscarriage (From the Choirgirl Hotel).
All in all, even with the good songs I have mentioned, The Beekeeper is too bland, and I really have a craving to listen to her old albums to remind myself how good she can be. Maybe her next offering will be better, but I think her classic days are over. Go out and buy her early albums for pure class and pure Tori!

The Beekeeper
The Beekeeper by Tori Amos (Audio CD - 2005)