4.0 out of 5 stars Rebirth - It's exactly what it says on the box
Definitely a change in style for J Lo and in my opinion the best album she has done to date. All of the tracks are strong (some more than others) and all are up-tempo. There are basically no slow ballads which is quite a refreshing change. I have summarised each track as follows-
Published on 25 Feb 2005 by Phill Jacob Rogers

3.0 out of 5 stars A Surprising Album
Published on 28 Feb 2005 by cccc73

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebirth - It's exactly what it says on the box, 25 Feb 2005
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
1. 9 out of 10. Currently number one in the UK. This is an excellent track and also a good indication of what to expect from the album.
2. 7 out of 10. A good song, not as strong as the previous and not too catchy. I was impressed by her voice and the style of her singing with this song.
3. 4 out of 10. Big disappointment. When I saw it was featuring Fat Joe I expected a track in the style of the "J to Tha Lo mixes".....this is strange. Quite why Fat Joe is present is a mystery. Why he sings is even more a mystery. This could have been a good song if it was not marred by the presence of Fat Joe.
4. 8 out of 10. At first this song sounds strange. It has a 70's vibe about it and you start to wonder if it's going to be a dreadful track. However, she pulls it off and it works. Quite a funky track.
5. 10 out of 10. Very different style. Very pop-rock. It's one of those catchy songs you can picture yourself listening to whilst driving the car in summer. Excellent.
6. 6 out of 10. This is a good song, very J-Lo. It's an up tempo love song but didn't quite do anything for me.
7. 7 out of 10. Another up tempo love song but is instantly likable from the start. Very good.
8. 9 out of 10. Excellent song, very funky and very likable.
9. 7 out of 10. Like track 6, this is another up-tempo love song that is good but nothing special. Not one I would skip to if I wanted to listen to one song of the album.
10. 8 out of 10. At first I was not impressed. However, as the 1st verse got underway I changed my mind. The hypnotic flute during the chorus and the vocals make for an intriguing song about the end of a relationship and your ex realising they can't do without you. Could this be about Ben??
11. 8 out of 10. Slowest song on the album. It is a good song and is a different style for her. The guitar's and violins are excellent as are the vocals....but not one of my favourites.
12. 5 out of 10. Why is this on the album? It is a repeat of the first track with Fabolous rapping when Jennifer is not singing (i.e before 1st verse and after bridge). Compared to the released version you can see why the other version was released. The overall effect of the rapping on top of the song sounds like it's being played in a club in Brixton with a bedroom MC rapping over it. The album would have closed better without this.
All in all an excellent album from Ms Lopez (or is that Mrs Anthony...) that shows a change of style. A must for her fans and also something for those who are not fans as there are some good songs here. I would advise listening to samples on Amazon or MTV.com the leak.

4.0 out of 5 stars JENNIFER LOPEZ 'Rebirth', 24 Sep 2009
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
A track by track appraisal of J.Lo's 4th studio album (both LP & CD reviewed). 'Get Right' starts the album strongly with a powerful sax riff & heavy rhythm intertwined with soft acoustic guitar & stacks of vocals. (9) 'Step Into My World' is certainly okay via a slow heavy laden rhythm with Jennifer in fine voice mixed in with plenty of vocals as she takes us panting into her dream world. (8) 'Hold You Down' featuring Fat Joe is a gentle but fairly non-descript ballad intertwined with some rap. Surprisingly the second single lifted but the worst track on the album. (6) 'Whatever You Wanna Do' as Jennifer funks it out with a heavy 70s sound but doesn't do again much for this listener. (6½) 'Cherry Pie' even if not particularly strong lifts things up a bit with an attractive disco beat & a catchy chorus. (8) 'I Got U' is a smooth pleasant number with Jennifer in an emotional & dramatic latino style setting as an acoustic guitar rattles away in the background. (8) 'Still Around' is a bit too lovey dovey & emotional (the opening track of side two on the LP). (6½) 'Ryde Or Die' is a more progressive fare as Jennifer wails over the steady vocal backdrop & a ricocheting beat as it snakes along - a fine affair & try and follow this "I ride for you 'cause you're the truth". (9) 'I, Love' is the track that impresses the most so far & a clever idea with the chorus "I" followed by "Love". Simple but effective (Rooney is one of the co-writers of this...others being T.Kelley & B. Robinson) "I love you more than you'll ever know". (9½) 'He'll Be Back' is another gem with that female chorus over a minimal shifting backing & an oriental slant. This one's written by a completely different crew in W.Millsap, C.Nelson, T.Mosley with Candice Nelson providing an additional background vocal "I know better than anybody how it feels to want somebody so bad after you break up". (9½) '(Can't Believe) This Is Me' written by Jennifer, hubbie M. Anthony & Cory & another superb piece. These last 3 tracks show a talented pop singer "I can't believe this is me". (9½) 'Get Right (Featuring Fabulous)' pretty well the same version as that which opens the LP. (9) J.Lo's produced another fine effort here, some great production touches, with a smooth melodic sound & as always helped out by Cory Rooney. Criticisms - well of the 12 tracks then there are two versions of 'Get Right' and so if you remove the 2nd 'Get Right' plus three others of marginal quality, then you are left with 8 excellent tracks. It was then J.Lo's poorest selling LP so far but really one of her best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly back to form, 5 Oct 2007
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
Well, Ms Lopez has almost made it to the top with 'Rebirth'. A little more attitude & a few less 'fillers' and it could have made it to the heights of 'J.lo' and 'J To Tha L-O'.
But as it stands now millions of fans will be heaving sighs of relief that Jennifer is starting to look back at what made her a success in the first place.

Get Right - #1 hit. The music is great, and the lyrics are catchy. But I must admit you can hear Jennifer struggle with her vocals, trying to stretch herself too far. 9/10

Step Into My World - This is the style that suits her best. I think this is a little boring but that's just me. A smooth little number. 8/10

Hold You Down - Again sticking with the chilled urban sound. She has good vocals when she stays with what suits her. Featuring Fat Joe. 10/10

Whatever You Wanna Do - A weaker version of 'Get Right'. Again Jennifer struggles with her vocals over the music. But the song itself is catchy and very danceable. 8/10

Cherry Pie - Another dance track in the vein of GR and WYWD. Childish effort was my first thought. The highlight is when she shouts "I can be your cherry pie, and you can be my cream on top" at the end. Tee-hee. Childish but fun. 8/10

I Got U - Average track. Average vocals and average music. I can't actually remember too much about it. Sounds like an escapee from 'This Is Me...Then'. 6/10

Still Around - Another average track. Another possible escapee from 'This Is Me...Then'. Total filler. 5/10

Ryde or Die - Please release this fantastic Brandy cast-off as a single. My favourite track. Jennifer - You know how good you make urban sound!!! 10/10

I, Love - My other choice for a single. A mellow RnB number. Gets stuck in your head "I love you more then I can love myself" she says - it must be serious!! 10/10

He'll Be Back - Another RnB track. Sounds slightly darker, compared with the rest of the album. Solid enough for a single, though I hope not. 9/10

(Can't Believe) This is Me - Nicely dramatic track describing a relationship breaking up. This track seems more 'done' then the rest of the album. Bound to be the last single from the album, especially seeing as Jennifer and Mr Lopez III (Marc Anthony) wrote it. 10/10

Get Right f/t Fabolous - Filler. The same, unmixed version of GR with some rent-a-rapper vocals thrown in. (The Hip Hop remix of this is better. See 'Hold You Down' single). 6/10

3.0 out of 5 stars A Surprising Album, 28 Feb 2005
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
I have just bought the album, and like many I expected it to be fairly similar to the last, This is me.. Then. Another attempt for JLo or Jennifer Lopez to reinvent herself. I think this is what she has tried to do again..lets face it, she's always going to be blinging, gorgeous, and possibly unlucky in love. But the music, I'm not too sure yet. From the 'Get Right' track it gives you half an idea of what this albums about. Trying to be cool/different/funky, but the other half is just mush. There are good tracks and they will probably grow on you but let me give you a brief track listing.
1)Get Right - good, funky, vocals not too hot. Made it to number 1 understandably.
2)Step into my world - A sexy, husky vocaled track, classier than Britney, and quite good. Sexy in one word.
3)Hold you down - With Fat Joe, expected a typical JLo hiphop attempt, got a smoochy slow one, with plinky plunky music in the background. Like the LLCool J one from the last album. Not hard core at all, quite sweet.
4)Whatever you wanna do - A funk style, chaotic track, I'm not sure, a lot worse than Get Right. You can't even tell shes singing. All bling crap again, imagine a Jenny from the block type video vibe. Bit different for her.
5)Cherry Pie - Again different, too noisy, horrible beat, vocals put to waste on this I think. Dont be fooled by the name of this track. Not JLo style. Maybe you'll like it. Not me though!
6)I got u - More RnB than the last 2. Darkchild in there somewhere, better vocals, bit guitarey, soppy vocals again. Alright song, one of the best.
7)Still Around - Sounds just like baby I love you from the last album, the way she sings. Not slow n soppy but not RnB. Maybe a poppish love song. Lotta love on this album. Okay, nothing too exciting.
8) Ryde or Die - Good beat, up the top of my list of favourites, not too slow or fake and pretentious. Good vocals, feminine sounding, gentle and one of her sides that I like. Very good.
9)I,love - Slow, again, good vocals, back musics bit loud. Problem is most of her slow stuff all sounds the same.
10)He'll be back - Nice! Funky middle eastern sounds, bet the video'll be great! A slow song with a good beat. My favourite on the whole album. Her voice demands a decent beat, something different, like this. Not the slush on 9 or the others!
11)This is me - How unlike Jennifer! At first a slow, slightly dramatic song, but turns into a rocky tough shouty orchestral number. Dramatic is the word. Very unlike Jlo, but nonetheless, very good. She's no Mariah or Celine but she can hold her own on the good tracks she picks - remaining sexy, femenine and strong.
12)Get Right feat Fabolous - Same as, just with the rap over it all. It's okay, 2 lots of voices to listen to as opposed to one. If you like rap, then its great.
All in all, not bad. The whole album has many different styles, can she pull them all off? To me, no. Not the odd funky jazzy numbers or really crap slow ballads, but the rest is quite good. You'll be singing along to your favourites in no time!
Whole album?................ 7 out of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess Who's Back?, 26 Feb 2005
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
"Rebirth" means that you are born again; gives a second chance to regain what previously thought to be lost. In this case, Jennifer is born again after the not so succesful "This Is Me...Then (2002)" which only sold 2.5 million. Rebirth definetly is her best album (as of now). "Get Right" her first single which debuted #1 in UK and only peaked #13 at the U.S Billboard Hot 100 definetly has heavy James Brown influence. Long time producer Cory Rooney, and Rodney Jerkins ("If You Had My Love"), Big Boi (From Outkast), Rich Harrison, Timbaland and her husband Marc Anthony are some producers of the album.
1. Get Right (8/10)- This song has been released 3 times; Original Version, With Rap Version and the Horns Down Remix (which unfortunately is not on the album). Produced by Rich Harrison, the beat of this track is originally for Usher's "Ride" but It didn't make the album. Jen loved it, Rich Harrison gave it to her. The song is basically a party/ club song and the horns are very repetive in this song which some people find annoying and some love it.
2. Step Into My World (10/10)- This is a very single material, she should release this as her 3rd single or so. Great production by Rodney Jerkins, this song has arabic beats to it, very seductive vocals. One of my favourites!
3. Hold You Down (9/10)- The first time I heard this, I didn't like it. It definetly grew on me. It basically talks about Jennifer and Fat Joe's friendship. It has the same feel to "All I Have".
4. Whatever You Wanna Do (7/10)- My least favourite song. Her vocals do not go well with the beats. The 2nd Rich Harrison production which dissapoints me a bit. The song has a very 50's-60's feel to it. Pretty up-beat.
5. Cherry Pie (9/10)- Cheesy title, but a great ROCK song. Jen definetly pulled it off with this one. Probaby one of my favourites!
6. I Got You (8/10)- A darkchild production classic! great feel-good beats. The song talks about you and that special someone is what it all matters, as long as you have each other.
7. Still Around (7.5/10)- In my opinion, this song belongs to "This Is Me...Then" because it has the same feel as to "This Is Me...Then". It's basically a song about love. Produced by Big Boi which was a shock because he went to a different direction with this one. A very feel-good love song.
8. Ryde Or Die (8.5/10)- Originally a Brandy's song "If I (I'll Do Anything For You)" which was suppose to appear on "Afrodisiac" but was scrapped out and handed to Jen. The song has same lyrics and beats to Brandy's version. You can actually hear a very similar Brandy vocals on the chorus. This song is also a favourite of mines.
9. I, Love (10/10)- My favourite song! it is a mid-tempo song, but the chorus is really cute and catchy. It somewhat has a tropical beat to it. It basically talks about LOVE (as usual) I, LOVE this song so much. She definetly needs to release this.
10. He'll Be Back (7.5/10)- Rumored to be the 3rd single (I hope its not true) the song talks about how someone leaves you, but you know that the person will come back to you, after he realizes what he's missing. Produced by Timbaland.
11. (Can't Believe) This Is Me (9.5/10)- This song is very personal to Jen. Produced by her husband Marc Anothony, not really a single material, but I was amazed on Jen's performance in this song.
12. Get Right (Feat. Fabolous)- I was expecting the Horns Down Remix a.k.a Hip Hop Remix but, it was basically the original one with rap. Which sucks. An ok remix but I liked the original version.
Overall, this is probably the best Jennifer Lopez album. She has definetly imporved vocally. There is a song for you in this album. It is worth buying. Let's all hope she hits #1 on the album charts because "Rebirth" deserves it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't get right, 24 July 2005
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
Jennifer Lopez's last album was a disastrous valentine to her ex-boyfriend Ben Affleck -- goopy, watered-down and thoroughly dull, with a hint of voyeurism. So maybe she was trying to tell us something when she named the first single from "Rebirth," her new pop album, "Get Right." Sadly, this doesn't get right. It doesn't even get okay.

The idea of "Rebirth" seems to be to make hip-pop with a more acoustic sound -- hence things like the horn solo in "Get Right," which is the only memorable part of the entire song. What remains are bubbly little pop tunes and the odd mournful ballad, usually about How Much I Love Whatsisname And Will Love Him Forever, Or Next Week, Whichever Comes First.

After a bunch of club tracks, "Rebirth" gets sidetracked with bubblegum pop, and weepy, adoring ballads. One is (bad omen here!) a duet with her husband, Marc Anthony, who proves himself the superior singer as he soars above Lopez's childlike voice.

But at heart, this is no rebirth. Rather it's the same ol' same ol' from Lopez -- generic ballads and unexceptional club tunes, which are catchy but essentially forgettable. Only the odd song has a moment that is memorable, such as the aforementioned horn solo, which will set your teeth on edge after awhile. The rest of the time, it's just highly repetitive beats and swoony bubblegum.

Lopez can certainly be counted as a singer, because she does sing. But as a recent MTV performance proves, she isn't a good one. Admittedly club tunes don't require the voice of an angel, but Lopez's are flat; they also have the over-polished quality of vocals smoothed over too much. Though she tries to convey deep passion in songs like "I, Love," she sounds like a teenager French-kissing her pillow.

Not that the songwriting on Lopez's album can possibly make up for her lack of vocal ability. For example, one song rhymes "the strange way you turn me on" with "as if you really didn't give a--unh!" Not impressive, rhyming a word with an inarticulate grunt. Sadly, no other songs manage writing more intelligent than comparing love to cherry pie. (Let's all say it in unison: Huh?)

A real "Rebirth" would be good writing, more imaginative music and more than one beat. But Jennifer Lopez strikes out yet again in her latest "rebirth," leaving only a handful of bland hip-pop tracks in her wake.

4.0 out of 5 stars a mixture of disco, hip-hop and broadway musicals, 20 Mar 2007
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
This cd is a clever fusing of styles and of the old and the new.

There are a couple of songs I didn't like but that's to be expected on a

recording as original and experimental as this.My favourite song is "can't believe this is me " which is the kind of mainstream song that most people who have never listened to Jennifer Lopez wouldn't expect her to sing.I would recommend this album to anyone who likes a variety of musical styles but I suspect that most people won't give it a chance because Lopez has been too successful in creating her "Jenny from the block - girl-from-the-street" image.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a rebirth but a great album, 19 Jun 2005
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
I am a Jennnifer Lopez fan but I have also seen many faults in her music over the years and I don't think Rebirth is one of them. It is a shame this album hasn't done that well but I think that is mainly down to the poor second single. Anyway for those of you who haven't heard it here is my track by track review:
1: Get Right - the first single with the catchy hook. My first impression was that it was good but as a first single she could have done better but then I saw the video (which is on the dual disc) and my love for the song grew. The horn is slightly annoying if you focus on it and not the words, the hip hop mix is a much better version of the song and that can be found on the Hold You Down single in the UK. 7/10
2: Step Into My World - great song, one of my favourites. Her voice sounds soft and sophisticated and is perfect for the song. It has quite a hypnotic sound and I think it would have been perfect for a single. 8/10
3: Hold You Down - such a disapointment for me, I really think it sounds like a bad version of All I Have. The remix of this song by Corey Rooney which is also on the UK single of Hold You Down is much better than this. This is actually the only J.Lo single which I haven't really liked but it still isn't that bad a song. 3/10
4: Whatever You Wanna Do - when I first heard the album this song stood out. It sounds a lot like Ameries "1 thing" no wonder really as Rich Harrison produced both. It is very funky and makes you wanna dance. It is rumoured to be the 3rd and final single, typical J.Lo. 8/10
5: Cherry Pie - Jennifer's personal favourite and one of only two songs that she wrote for the album. Probably the only pop song on the album, with a slight hint of a rocky beat. She sounds great and once again this would have been a great single. It is my 2nd favourite on the album. 9/10
6: I Got U - Nice enough, darkchild song. Very much an album track, nothing really that special but a nice upbeat song, she seems to be trying a lot more on this song with her voice. 5/10
7: Still Around - although it won't win any awards I do like this song a lot, the only part which annoys me is the man in the middle talking to her. A summery sort of song which really suits her voice. 7/10
8: Ryde or Die - the Brandy cast off, you can still hear her voice on the song. This is the sort of album song which isn't really worth commenting on, it's not good it's not bad it's just nothing really. 4/10
9: I, Love - I like this song because although the beat is very typical it still works. The lyrics are very sweet. One thing Jennifer seems to be able to do with this album is pick songs which she knows will suit her voice and this one deffinitly does. 7/10
10: He'll Be Back - One of the songs I will skip to straight away, the sort of song that seems so personal and that you could imagine would have been about Ben Affleck yet she never wrote it. The lyrics are actually the best part of this song, and i'm sure a lot of people would be able to relate to them in some way. 8/10
11: Can't Believe This Is Me - Here we go my favourite song. I love this song for a few reasons, one is that it is so different to anything that she has ever done before. Her voice sounds better than it ever has and she sings with real passion - maybe as this is one of the other songs that she wrote. The lyrics are once again brilliant. I think even if the rest of the album was awful (which it isn't) that she could make up for it with this one song. Brilliant, in my eyes it is a perfect song. 10/10
It is a bit annoying that she wrote so much on This Is Me...Then to so little on this, but at the end of the day a good album is a good album and this is. It has lots of different styles and isn't the sort of album you get bored listening to half way through (This Is Me...Then).

2.0 out of 5 stars a typical j-lo album, 26 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
This album is a typical Jennifer Lopez album. In summary the tracks have strong production but weak lyrics and vocals. Jennifer is no Mariah Carey, she doesn't really write her own songs, she doesn't produce them, and she is technically not a good singer. This album is like drugs - a thrill, but not natural and not on a deep level

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe It Will Grow On Me???, 2 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
I picked up the new J LO CD on the basis that her reviews were generally pretty good. I also love the current single! Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed.
This is an album which I'm sure will grow on you, but the majority of the tracks are instantly forgetable. It's a mixed bunch and most of the songs didn't really grab me. "This is Me" was probably the only song on the CD that I fully listened to without skipping forward on first listen.
I'll give it a chance as it's in my collection now, but it's certainly not an album I'd say "rush out and buy now".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rebirth
Rebirth by Jennifer Lopez (Audio CD - 2005)