4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good
The Chemicals' moment has past, according to a large chunk of the music press, but they still know how to make rocking tunes. This album is a significant return to form, with very little on it that's below par. Some of the tracks are really hard and exciting - "Believe", which features Kele Okereke from Bloc Party, stands out - and there are some long tracks which pass...
Published on 29 Jan 2005 by The Fisher Price King

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating...but still Good.
This album scores, or rather scrapes a 7/10, but could, and should, have been soooo much better.

The main reason is the length of the album, and in particular, certain tracks that went on too long without any new ideas being brought in. I suspect a lot people will be annoyed how it appears to gain mommentum then lets it go for no good reason. 'Believe' is the...
Published on 3 Nov 2009 by Mr. S. Bennett

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, Yet Good, 25 Jan 2005
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
Tom and Ed are no strangers to reinavating, and when they set out in 1993, they made us realise they were not going to follow the trends, but set them. This is a prime example, Push The Button is fresh, yet has some things I have heard on other albums recently.
The album starts nicely with guest Q-Tip (frontman for ATCQ) - the Indian flavored track kicks in, and the usual Chemical Brothers sound kicks in, reminds me a bit of Hey Boy, Hey Girl, with a touch of Music: Response, which I both love.
Other greats on this is the colaboration with Tim Burgess, an alt rock artist from the states. The track is very playful, with it's old skool piano stabs and Noel Galagher-esque vocals. As another reviewer said, it does feel like it would be fine on a Fatboy Slim LP, which is cool in my opinion.
Other fine moments come in the form of Hold Tight London, with it's ATB-esque sound, but hints of "Come With Us"; Believe with it's 80s beats and funky bassline; The Big Jump with it's heavy bassline and Felix Tha Housecat-esque playfullness. As you can see the brothers have been influenced by other big players in the field.
Some tracks did let this album down, like Left, Right, which has a Dynamite MC feel to it, not really my bag, but if you like this sort of music, you're going to love this track.
Some elements in this album scream The Chemical Brothers, so they've not really changed much since Come With Us. I think this album is good, it has different styles, it has character and it doesn't sound all the same. I think Tom and Ed did a great job on this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very laid back!, 7 Feb 2005
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
Hmm, ok, I've only listened to the album twice, so maybe I should be waiting a little longer before writing this review, but chances are I wont listen to this much more!
Whereas past albums have had some big tunes, this album has just Galvanize. This is more of a Sunday afternoon album than thaeir past ones which are more of a Saturday night album. Make of that what you will! Certainly doesnt pack the punch of previous albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word - Superb!, 22 Jan 2005
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
This is surely the best album the Chemical Brothers have done, in my opinion.
From the pulsing Galvanize to the magical Close you Eyes, with The Magic Numbers, this album is, dare I say, beautiful.
I had to keep checking that I was still listening to the Chemical Brothers, & somebody wasn't changing the CD after each track.
Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance, 11 Feb 2005
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
An exceptional album with fresh new sounds and great beats , track 8 being my favourite but track 3 is exceptional with the base line

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, 1 Feb 2005
D. MITCHELL (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
I'm not sure how fans of the Chemicals can get excited about any of the tracks on this album. Following the seminal Exit planet dust, Dig your own hole was a powerhouse of an album and Surrender contained an assortment of varied and excellent tunes. This on the other hand seems a bit weak, when the beats do eventually kick in they are often accompanied by bizarre vocals that don't fit and seem to have been quickly "chucked on top" usually ruining a fairly good musical intro.
Sorry guys but after Come with us this is one coffee table album for burnt out ex-ravers too many.
I shan't be buying another.

2.0 out of 5 stars Jumped the Shark?, 25 Jan 2005
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
I had eagerly awaited the new album, and I bought it the day it came out, only to find myself a little disappointed.
Push the Button is so unlike the Chemical Brother's previously amazing work as to be unrecognisable almost. It has none of the excitement and atmosphere of previous classics such as "Block Rockin' Beats", "Hey Boy Hey Girl" and "Come With Us". I spent the duration of the album waiting for gold, but none came.
I found Push the Button reminisent of Fatboy Slim's more recent work, with less of the emphasis on the beats and power than on the lyrical aspects. While Fatboy has found success through these ideas, The Chemical B's have lost their previous appeal.
But overall this is still an ok album, just not up to previously high standards. This CD just didn't match my personal musical tastes and their previous tracks did.

1.0 out of 5 stars All Filler, No Killer, 10 Feb 2005
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
As a fan of the boys and having in no small part contributed to thier bank balances over the last 10 years I find myself in the dubious position of never ever wanting to listen to this CD ever again.
This CD is Tripe.
I found listening to this "music" painfull, forcing myself to put up with 10 of the worst tracks I have ever heard, praying that it could only get better. At last, the only track worth merit, the last track on the cd.
Were they bieng ironic? If so i'm sorry but I don't get it.
I shall never listen to this again, I may even have to burn it in a ritualistic manner, hopefully cleansing of my soul, this is the level to which I feel aurally violated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sublime :), 23 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
I only have 2 Chemical Brothers albums - Exit planet Dust and Block rocking beats - and this one. These are the 3 you need to define these guys, everything in-between was dross.
Without a doubt, Galvanize is a weak track as compared to the others (although on hearing it first it sounded better than it does on repeat listenings). Marvo Ging and Surface to Air, are very left-field for the Bros, and sound fantastic - almost sounding like a mish mash of Funki Porcini (the beginning is very much like a track off their 'Fast Asleep' album ...the one with Tony Blair's voice vocoded and sample-stretched out), Oasis, The Egg, Future Sound of London (the Isness album), and shades of New Order in their prime. I think this is a breath of fresh air for the boys - though not groundbreaking in any sense, a good example of what the Chemicals are capable of: original, non-derivative music. Encore :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Push the button is ok but galvanize sucks., 7 April 2005
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
I would have had given 5 stars to this album if they did not include galvanize on it, I cant stand this song and amazingly this is the song that promotes the album in radio stations. Besides that it contains many other songs such as believe, left right, among others which are very good and make of push the button a good album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Ready To PUSH THE BUTTON!!, 27 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Push the Button (Audio CD)
After seeing them live for the first time in June, The chemical brothers are about to stamp there authority on once again.
Galvanize is a great opening far eastern sounding hip hop venture with the vocal tallents on former Tribe Called Quest band member Q-Tip.
Everybody...Get Chemical...Get Push THe Button!

Push the Button
Push the Button by The Chemical Brothers (Audio CD - 2005)