5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Lovely Film (Really)
Published on 8 July 2011 by T Marshall

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull
I watched this film for half an hour before finally turning it off. Very slow...didn't like the characters...just very dull. After reading some of the reviews I was really looking forward to it too but just wasn't for me :-(
Published 4 months ago by Nicola Fears

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Lovely Film (Really), 8 July 2011
T Marshall (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before Sunrise [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
"You have to be in the right mood for this film," are the dreaded words I find myself telling my wife as I stick the DVD in the machine. I myself was so obviously in the right mood for it when it came out that it made it into my top 10 movies of all time list (in my head), primarily because I wanted to be Ethan Hawke and fancied Julie Delpy (this fancy has now passed though thanks to her 2 Days in Paris movie). Unfortunately my wife was not as enthralled by it as I was, leaving me to deduce that this is ultimately a 'marmite' film; you either love it or hate it.

The plot is simple; boy meets girl on train, boy gets girls to leave train with him, boy and girl talk all night, boy and girl fall in love.

The wonderful part is the third character; Vienna. Linklater seduces it like Woody Allen does New York in Annie Hall. I like seeing a city being romanced and this is definitely the case here.

The second most wonderful part of this film is the language and the necessary steps of courtship the 2 of them go through in order to lower their respective guards enough to allow the other person to see the real them. Ethan starts off relatively pretentiously; a stereotypical cocky young American. Delphy is similarly aloof in a typical Gallic manner, but then they are a little spontaneous and take a small chance on each other and the film takes off on its lovely smooth ride.

I recommend this as a late-night movie when you are totally relaxed and are not expecting much from it beyond a couple verbally jousting, seducing then eventually loving each other. Even though one of them is a bit of a Rooster-Prick.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Travelogue with Dialogue - As good as movies get!!!, 20 Feb 2001
By A Customer
The first time I saw this was by accident. I stumbled across it and it held my glance-a good sign. In this film by Richard Linklater, an American played by Ethan Hawke and a Frenchwoman played by Julie Delpy meet on a train, thrown together by an arguing couple. Both are on different journeys but together they begin to discuss every topic under the sun and are faced with spending 24 hours in Vienna waiting for different connections. The two strangers walk around the city through the day and overnight visiting landmarks and bars and walking along the Danube. It plays as good as a tourist video as a movie. Slowly but quickly!- the pair fall in love and are then faced with the awful prospect of parting ways the next morning. The conversations are breathtaking, and the city looks enviable. This makes you want to visit Vienna like Breakfast at Tiffanys made you want to go to New York! Who can think of anything better than meeting a stranger, having a swift affair and falling in love in a beautiful city! The citys natural beauty is used superbly by the director and the leading stars have the chemistry required to pull off the romance and the intelligence to pull off the conversations. It fills you with joy, pulls at your heart, inspires you to travel and leaves you with a warmth that maybe at anytime, something great could happen to YOU! If you're a traveller, a romantic, a philosopher, a culture vulture or just somewhere in between, let this hold your glance and maybe it will change your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real modern classic, 16 April 2006
David Welsh (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before Sunrise [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
Two young people, American Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and French Céline (Julie Delpy) meet on the Budapest - Paris train. They start talking and quickly develop a connection. As they approach Vienna, where Jesse is flying out from the next day, he persuades Céline to spend a day with him in the city, and catch the train to Paris the next day. She agrees, and the two of them spend a magical 24 hours walking around the beautiful city of Vienna, talking about their lives, gradually revealing more of themselves, and falling in love. But as the hours before sunrise slip away, the moment when they will have to say goodbye edges inexorably closer... This is one of my absolute favourite films, it's beautiful, romantic, realistic and humorous all at the same time. The direction and the central performances are outstanding, the story perfectly constructed and the dialogue is both engaging and has a beautiful natural flow. This film is a rare gem to be cherished and watched again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite films, 21 Jan 2005
Nicola Hughes "Nicola" (UK.) - See all my reviews
The first time I watched this film was a few years back when it first came out on video. I then watched it again immediately afterwards and can't recall ever doing this before. I was incredibly moved by the simplicity but intenseness of this film. Its one of those films that make you 'think.' The characters were great - and the contrast between the American and European came across really well.
I then watched the DVD recently after many years and loved it even more (perhaps this is because it means more to me now as I have experienced a little more of life?) Anyway, if you haven't watched it then please do.

5.0 out of 5 stars No action, no humor, no sex and absolutely fantastic!, 18 April 2001
By A Customer
If you have never been to Vienna, this will be a movie worth it's cost even if you are only interested in the backdrop. Don't bother if what you are after is the conventional "romantic comedy". Richard Linklater masterfully captured the essence of carpe diem when two travelers decided to go for a whirlwind romance lasting an entire day in beautiful Vienna. After chatting up each other in a train, the entire movie is held together by the two leading characters who effortlesly manages to capitivate the viewer. This is highly recommended for the romantics who love dialogue driven movies. Also for the cynics who do not believe that a good movie doesn't have the usual Hollywood kitsch-y techniques. Maybe this will renew some faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic, 20 Sep 2005
P. Whitehead (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before Sunrise [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
Before Sunrise is a hugely romantic film, twinning the romance of travelling to an unknown but beautiful destination with the romance of two people getting to know each other.
The film involves only two real characters - Ethan Hawke (Jesse) and Julie Delpy (Celine), who meet by chance on a train and decide to spend an evening together in Prague, from where Jesse is due to get a plane home to the States.
Lovers of thrill-a-minute blockbusters beware - there is no real story here as such, the film simply follows our characters round the city as they gradually get to know one another. That, for me, was sufficient as I felt I really got to know the characters as real 3D people, which I find quite unusual in modern films. It is difficult to believe that the film is scripted as the acting is so natural and the chance encounters with other people so eccentric that you can only believe they happened - they certainly reminded me of the people I've met in foreign cities. Much also relies upon the silences between the characters and subtle facial expressions, as well as the clever use of locations. All this creates a very strong atmosphere.
If you love travel and deep romantic films that seep into your pores, you may well love this. Before Sunrise is certainly a film I can watch again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!, 19 May 2005
Timothy Price "ratsnatch" (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before Sunrise [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
I should probably warn you that however I describe this film, I will not do it justice. I should also point out that this film is very much a matter of taste, and whether you like it or not will probably depend on whether you can relate to the two central characters on some level. Jesse and Celine meet on a train, get off in Vienna, and embark on a one-day and one-night relationship before they both head their separate ways the next morning. The film is dialogue driven, and we are led through a version of all those late-night conversations we've all had at one time or another, some with a different slant, some less so. The result is that the film feels like a fly on the wall experience, where we witness the entire relationship between Jesse and Celine, their quirks, faults, their hopes and fears, as they travel the streets of Vienna, and facing the relentless passing of time before they must part. This theme is constant throughout on various levels.
In that time, both characters attempt to find some profound answer to their lives, and try their hand at some 'deep', although in my opinion reasonably unpretentious, ideas about relationships, women, time, etc. The feeling is of two real people, living real lives, trying to discover each other in a race against time, and in this their exchanges do not seem in any way contrived (the listening booth scene is masterful). Jesse has his faults, as does Celine, they are not supposed to be perfect - but I find that I care for them both, perhaps more so than I have with any other film.
The beautiful backdrop of Vienna and the extremely endearing interplay between Jesse and Celine as they try to find common ground and mull over their thoughts on the world, makes for a beautiful experience. It's not gushy, it's not over the top, doesn't have any 'I-will-love-you-for-evermore' candyrock soundtrack, and it lacks the compulsory declarations of undying slush that normally have me reaching for the closest bucket..... but it is nevertheless a very tender and subtly romantic film, and I felt a tremendous sense of loss when the end credits started to roll (always a good sign). I can't recommend it highly enough (and in response to another reviewer, just to make this absolutely clear, I'm far from being a teenager.... but I love this film now as much as when it first came out).
.....told you I wouldn't do it justice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethan & Julie go walking, 2 Jan 2010
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before Sunrise [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
This is probably my favourite contemporary film - not counting those by Eric Rohmer, which it superficially resembles.
I can`t be objective about Before Sunrise (or its surprisingly superb follow-up, Before Sunset) as it is one of those films I love so much that the mere thought of it brings a warmth to the heart. I ration the number of times I watch it - once a year or so - as I should hate to spoil its freshness and wonder. Yes, it`s talky. And yes, it`s not for everybody. But I think it`s impossible to merely like it; it will either leave you cold or you`ll fall hopelessly in love with it, along with the two central characters and their nighttime wanderings through Vienna.
It`s an Amazon cliche, but if I could give this ten stars, I would. There again, some films are beyond rating - in the way that some films/actors seem too good for gongs.
Julie Delpy (who`s wonderful) and Ethan Hawke give of themselves - they improvised much of their dialogue - in a way rarely seen in film. I envy anyone seeing this gem for the first time, but having seen it one can relax into further viewings knowing that each moment of this flawless movie will entrance afresh & bring that warm glow once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, hopeful and poignant, 28 Jun 2014
S. Maidstone (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a really beautiful film, one of my favourites of the romance genre, interesting not cheesy, hopeful and poignant, it could apply to anyone of any age meeting for the first time

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful piece of work, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Before Sunrise (DVD)
An enjoyable film to relax to and enjoy the acting, Vienna and most of all the wonderful dialogue.
There appear t be several dimensions to this film, the boy meets girl plot which develops and doe snot have a silly ending. The female vs male sparing across a range of subjects is enjoyable and reminded me of those first conversations when one goes to Uni, adventurous and carefree. The idea of the french and US cultures meeting or at least being discussed in a down to earth manner is fascinating.
All in all very worth watching, especially if you enjoy films about people and society.
The sequel is also enjoyable, though I found the conversation subjects a little more staid and slightly over-done in the second.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Before Sunrise [DVD] [1995]
Before Sunrise [DVD] [1995] by Bilge Jeschim (DVD - 2005)
3.65