4.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker set
I've read most of the reviews so I'll clarify some bits:

1) YES you need 3 sockets from your sound card or source, this is NOT a super digital processor, you need to feed it the signals. Plugging in your iPod will not drive all the speakers.

Published on 15 April 2007 by Borb

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay...
Good points:

- Decent sound quality at medium to loud volume
- Pretty good bass

Bad points:

- With the volume turned fully down there are distortion noises, popping and fuzzy sounds, needs to be at a decent volume before they get drowned out

I am thinking of sending them back for a refund.
Published on 30 Jan 2012 by Josh

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker set, 15 April 2007
This review is from: Logitech X-530 PC Multimedia Home Theatre Speaker System - 70 Watt (Total) (5.1) (Accessory)
I've read most of the reviews so I'll clarify some bits:

2) The sub woofer isn't overpowering - back to how you drive it. When I plugged my MP3 player using only the main feed, yes it's overpowering - but that's not how you are supposed to use the speakers - so it's hardly a failing. Besides if it's too much for you adjust it using your PC's equaliser!

3) The adapter that's referred to in the description for Xbox's etc is actually in the box - a little plastic doofry that converts 2 into the 3 required. (2xRCA female to 3x6.5mm sockets)

4) Yes the rear speaker wires are a bit on the mean side - and extra couple of metres would have been nice. I'll have to get a couple of extension cables - RCA female to RCA male.

5) Foreign radio - nope, but I do seem to live in a lead lined flat so I may be protected.

6) Surge clicks - yep when my fridge kicks in there is a 'pop' or 'click', they are a bit sensitive to that sort of thing, so some sort of surge protection or a good clean mains is required.

I needed to replace my aging surround receiver but couldn't afford to upgrade. As I mainly view/listen on my pc connected to the TV (media pc) I decided to cut out the middle man and drive the speakers directly. With this speaker set I was sorted in a 40 quid single step.

I fired up Silent Hill and all the creepy banging, thumping and scraping certainly filled my room with delightful 5.1 sounds.

CD/MP3s were hit and miss sadly, but this isn't the fault of the speakers and more my software. WMP played the MP3s through all speakers but my HTPC software will only drive the left and right.

Well recommended, but remember cable length and mains click. (which is why they don't get 5 stars)

Inexpensive and sound great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but scary!, 26 Jan 2008
Mr. D. J. Hall (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
The first day i had these speakers i was very happy with the design and power, which compared to my previous 2.1 system was extremely impressive! I found the sound immersive, and with the bass up on its high setting i could see the items on my desk begin to party along with the music! Overall for the first few days i was extremely impressed but then strange things started to happen! :(

Laying in bed with the computer off and the speakers on standby i began to feel as if i was not alone, and indeed, i was not! After hearing some brief murmers in the corner of my room i went completely quite to try and identify this spooky occurance! After waiting for a little while i dismissed the noise as coming from a neighbour and settled back to sleep, but then as i finally felt myself falling asleep i heard a crackling then a short and fairly loud sentence resonate from the corner of my room! to the tone of a haggered hobo i heard the words 'Voulez vous coucher avec moi'! Now theres me terrified in bed thinking im being hauted by a sexually confused french can-can dancer and i hear a double click and some interference which alerts me to the scientific cause of the hanting...the x530 sattelite speakers pick up foreign radio channels in stand by! Obviously very problematic for someone of a nervous disposition, hence the 4 stars. I graudually got used to the foreign radio and if it got too much i simply turned them completely off, so no biggy :)

Overall highly recommended, but only if you can bear the foreign hauntings of the x530!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best low cost PC speakers around., 1 Sep 2005
Gareth Lloyd "basegenerator" (manchester) - See all my reviews
After the quick easy installation I find the speakers to be more than adequate, in fact I would put money on it that these are the one of the best low cost speakers around. The sound is clear and crisp even when I am streaming of an internet radio station at 96kbps (I tell a lie, there is a little fussiness but that's due to the bit rate of the stream, not the speakers).
I have replaced my standard Sony desktop speakers that came with my Vaio PC and have to say that the Logitech is a much better sound, especially at high volume. The sub-woofer is excellent too, great bass at both high and low volumes, I was very pleased with the bass from the sub-woofer.
I cannot comment on the surround itself because my card only supports 2.1 as to 5.1 which is needed to utilise all 5 speakers. I am looking to buy a new sound card very soon, so I can edit this review in the near future.
Other benefits from the Logitech speakers is that they are compatible with game consoles, which include Playstation 1 and 2, Xbox and Gamecube (Logitech video adapter is required for this to work; it costs no more than £4). I imagine it will be possible for the Logitech speakers to work with next-gen console too.
I have one dislike about these speakers. The headphones don't sound that great when plugging them into the headphone jack. I have very good Sony headphones and sounded great through my old Sony speakers, but through the Logitech speakers the sound is muffled and distorted through heavy bass. The volume control doesn't work for the headphones meaning your stuck with the mid range volume (not loud enough for me). It probably sound awful at a louder volume anyway.
Pros: crisp clear sound. Loud at 140 watts. Sub-woofer at 70 watts gives of very good bass at both high and low volumes. Good looking speakers. Speakers can stand or be fitted onto the walls. Compatible with consoles. quality build. Cheap for a good 5.1 system.
Cons: Headphones don't sound great through them. No volume control for headphones. Wires are too short for bigger rooms.
Despite the headphones sounding rubbish the system still deserves a 5 star rating. If you like your games, movies or music to sound great through 5.1 but don't want to spend the money that is over the £100 mark, then these are for you. They sound just as good as a £100+ system anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love The Sound, But...., 18 Nov 2006
I am a sound lover it has to be said, music is my love and my career. The sound from these speakers is beyond good value, it is perfection...not a hint of distortion even at almost inaudible levels (anybody with problems should check their mountings or computer volume levels). The bass is just right as ive seen a few reviews saying it is far too powerful, and provides warmth to even the most industrial of soundtracks. The ONLY criticism i have for this set-up is exactly how to wall mount them. The rotating stands dont provide much flexiblilty (your walls will need to be angled toward you if you want the sound directed at you) however if you have a flat surface to mount these on you wont have this problem. Also i have only a tiny box room and yet i needed to buy some extra phono/coaxial cabling to get the speakers to stretch to the back of the room (if anybody has a large room they will need to look into doing the same)

The speakers are fantastic, delivery was incredible (just 12 hours from dispatch) but i wasn't taken by the wall mount design or cabling length. If you can look past that then these spekers are perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Speakers, 8 Mar 2006
By A Customer
Excellent value for money. Very quick delivery. Sound great for games and music only problem is mp3s aren't available in surround sound as of yet. The rear speakers are very quiet. When I'm playing a game, there is a tank behind me yet it can hardly be heard through the rear speakers even when I put them to my ear! Wasnt anything to do with sound settings on the pc as the volume was turned up full and the type of speakers was set to 5.1. Other than that it was a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5.1 sound surround set, 6 Feb 2006
By A Customer
WOW. I came to amazon looking for a 5.1 sound surround set but had a low budget, I thought that the set i would get for £50 would give a sound but not do to well under pressure and not give a clear sound. I bought these and I got ALOT more than I was expecting, they work really well, very easy to set up as they are all colour coded and the subwoofer really packs a punch. They work great and give a clear, pure sound turned down low and up full. This is a very good kit and brings all your games,(works on xbox ps2 and gamecube aswell) music and DVD's to life.
Overall if you are one of those people who expect to have an very decent set for a low budget THIS IS FOR YOU!!

4.0 out of 5 stars (positive) Great Sound System (negative) picks up strange voices, 25 Nov 2006
H. Evans "hevans06" (UK) - See all my reviews
What can i say, apart from WOW. What a great little package, well worth the asking price, i have absolutely no regrets on up dating my PC speakers from 2.1 to 5.1. Speakers and subwoofer look great, easy to set up, music movies and games sound top notch. The only annoying thing about the logitech x-530 is that MY speakers seem to pick up foreign radio wave signals. Ive heard German and i think Spanish. These voices fade in and out ever so quietly when nothing else is playing. I hope its a radio signal other wise its a case of me going mental, or could it be the spirits of the dead. haha. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Great choice of speaker system for any PC. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 8 May 2007
Mr. S. B. Airey "airey2" (NW England) - See all my reviews
Ive had these speakers about a year now. I used to have them running Windows XP and had real quality when playing music on media player. Since I got Vista I can only get 2.1 sound on windows media player even though I have got all settings correct and all speakers work when testing in control panel. Quite annoying.

I also pick up french radio from time to time (live in north west of england! lol) this can get quite annoying sometimes especially when the volume is on min.

Overall though, if you dont have any problems there great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Logitech X-530- Excellent for the price - But some setting up issues, 30 Nov 2010
Good speakers for the price. - I did do a thorough search before getting these speakers (however, get the X-540's if you're not as broke as me! - only £20 more!)

However, in order for them to work on a laptop (which only, normally, have a standard 3.5mm port available), you need to purchase a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Q6LSVS/ref=oss_product).

In additon to the speakers, a small "game" adapter comes included. It has 3, 3.5mm jacks on one side (green, orange and black) and 2 RCA ports on the other (red and black).

In order for the speaker system to work on a laptop, you must (using the 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable) connect the 3.5mm jack to the laptop's 3.5mm "headphone" port and, of the other end, the 2 (red and black) RCA jacks into the correspending holes (black and red ports) of the "game" adapter. Then you must connect the 3, 3.5mm jacks, from the speaker's control unit, into the corresponding colours of the "game" adapter.

This should work! - I'm still waiting on the 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable. - which was also purchased from amazon today, and already dispatched!

I also have purchased a samsung HDTV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DPMYYU/ref=oss_product). I also hope to connect these speakers to the TV. I am quite sure if you connect it to the TV in the same way as above should work.

I did do a day's worth of research before writing this. :D

Good luck,

Shaf

5.0 out of 5 stars logitech x-530, 7 Feb 2010
Mr. Simon Garwood "siggy" (Beverley UK) - See all my reviews
These speakers are great value for money as they can double up as laptop speakers but also for game consoles too!!!!
They come with an adapter which converts the three heads(Black,green,pink) into audio outputs (red and white)which are audio and sound these can be than connected to a ps3/slim or an xbox/360 and give the full 5.1 sound
The sound is superb and really clear and is nothing sort of being 5 star
The front speakers have 2 meters of cable and the rear have 4 meters.
Each speaker is colour coded so no messing when matching each cable to each speaker.
center channel is dedicated to voice so they never sound muffled out from the very powerful subwufer which has its own volume control while also the front right speaker has a volume control and headphone input
overall this is a great system with plenty to shout about but with so much power you proberley won't here yourself or your neighbours