Price:£4.97+ Free shipping

on 8 February 2006
This game was highly enjoyable to play - beautiful graphics, inventive system for combining and making items, which kept it very realistic, but it was let down in a few areas. One was the linear nature of the game, it was just too linear. There also were not enough places to go, I was quite disappointed to discover that while I could see other parts of the island, I couldn't get to them. Having to shoot down robots partially ruined the game, I didn't feel it was in the spirit of the genre, or even the setting! It was over before it barely started, and left you feeling like you'd missed out somewhere.
But - it was a good game. The gameplay was excellent, the scenes beautiful and the plot-line good. It was just too short, and too small. I'd have preferred that the developers spent more time making it a bigger game, than releasing it in a platform that could be completed in 4-6 hours.
It is worth playing, but don't settle down for too long.
on 14 September 2005
when they say that adventure games are a dying genre ..they are prooved wrong with this game. with excellent grapics and a cute little monkey to help you acomplish tasks, this game has everything to be a great adventure game. the controls are easy to understand and to operate. Plus there are sooo many differant ways to end the game you dont know what to expect!. as you get further and further into the game, bonus points reveal certain secrets. a great game if you love point and click games.
on 14 April 2005
If you're looking for an adventure game to play, you could do a lot worse than Return to Mysterious Island. It is a fairly standard 1st person adventure game (a la Myst series) set in the future but with links to events in the past on a seemingly deserted island. The graphics are excellent and the puzzles not too difficult. Many early puzzles are a case of foraging for food to feed your main character after she washes up on the island. Things then accelerate from there. The main character has some charisma and is a bit forgettable but the whole story worked for me and I enjoyed it. It is also priced to sell and thoroughly deserves to. The real beauty of the game though is that there are many different ways to solve the puzzles, thus making replayability a serious option.
This is one of the few recent adventure games that I will be keeping hold of to replay in the future.
on 10 March 2005
The graphics are really nice, the interface is smooth and intuitive, but...it is far too easy. I am no expert adventurer but I finished the game in a few hours. The problems are that there are too few locations to explore and the puzzles are far too obvious, some you know what to do immediately. The timed sequences were easy as well, even for my ancient reflexes. I hope that the manufacturers keep with the interface and write a larger annd more complex game around it.
on 28 March 2008
What a fantastic point and click adventure! At least it would have been if it was a whole lot longer!
It's possible to complete this game in not very much time at all (6 hours or so) without solving all the riddles and puzzles which does boost the replayability value but it was annoying to find the game suddenly ending when I knew I still had numerous things to do. It was like reading War and Peace and finding the final page in the middle of chapters two and three. That aside, Return to Mysterious Island is an adventurer's dream. Interact with just about everything in the scenery, combine a myriad of items, create various concoctions to further your quest, it's fun all the way. The puzzles aren't too taxing, because as soon as you find a way to power your mobile phone, you gain access to an online encyclopaedia to tell you what most items in your massive inventory do. You will definitely want to play again and again to gain maximum points and if you follow my example, actually achieve the game's objective, given to you in hints throughout, even though you can finish it without doing anything of the sort.
To sum up, more puzzles than a monkey puzzle tree but waaayyy too forgiving by allowing you to get to the end by bypassing (I hope) the best bits. Worth buying, if you can find it for under a tenner. You can also find this game sold as a pack with "Journey to the Moon", a very similar Jules Verne related adventure, very much worth a click.
on 20 March 2005
When you start this game the graphics are really stunning with spectacular views over the ocean and you can really immerse yourself myst-like. It's very impressive. But then, horror of horrors something happened which totally ruined it for me. Tiny little juvenile robots started buzzing about and I had to shoot them down like some cheap space invaders game. Up until that point the game had been so impressive. The makers have tried to throw in something for all ages but for me it spoilt the game.
on 7 January 2007
This is a fantastic inventory based adventure game. The story's good, the graphics are lovely and the puzzles are spot on (just hard enough to keep you interested while not being so hard that you get a head ache!) The only big let down of this game is that it's way to short. I completed the game in around 3 or 4 hours and it realy did feel as if you'd only just started... I kept expecting the story to explode into a sinister tale of intregue and just at the point when it should have it ended and I was left in disbelief :(

Having said that I would recommend this game to anyone as a very engoyable little adventure.
on 13 November 2006
I really enjoyed this game. The puzzles were logical and varying in difficulty. It was nice to have a companion even if they couldn't speak. Excellent graphics and gameplay. The only problem was the end, and I felt a little disappointed - but only because it ended too quickly. Could have merrily played that for a long time.
on 9 June 2014
I don't know if I will finish this. I started with high hopes having not played the first one, this looked like my kind of adventure game. But it is somewhat linear in that everything must be done in a certain order and some don't make a lot of sense to me. But the most irritating thing for me is that from the moment your character lands on the island you have to kill things, from turtle eggs to crabs, just so you have energy to do other things, and the girl seems to eat non-stop! I find this so nauseating that I just don't want to play it as it seems so unethical, and as a Vegetarian I don't even want to pretend to kill innocent creatures in a virtual world, thanks very much. She has coconuts which should be good enough for anyone, but the game insists on killing everything else too. So from the very first scene it is spoilt for me and I just have not been able to persuade myself to continue with it.
on 29 July 2012
This game takes a bit of getting used to - I kept getting lost on the island! There are so many different pathways to use. You have to think about what you are doing as most of the things you find along the way have to be 'combined' in order that they can be used. Thoroughly enjoyed it I bought the next game in the series!