5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the gym!!!!
Published on 14 Jan 2005 by lucky

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T waste your money if........
you have the Peak Energy workout. This is essentially the same with a bit extra thrown in. I love the Peak Energy workout and wanted something new - this isn't something new, it's more of the same. Feel a bit ripped off!
Published on 7 Jan 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the gym!!!!, 14 Jan 2005
This review is from: Nell Mcandrew's Ultimate Challenge: Ultimate Results [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Hi, this is my first review, but thought I would let you know that this DVD is well worth buying. The box is a little confusing as to how many sections there are on the DVD - there is a warm up, a cardio section, a stretch and tone section and some extras. Whilst doing the cardio section, there is a "bail out" marker that comes up evry ten minutes, giving you the option to shorten your workout. I love the Nell McAndrew series of workouts, as she is 100% commited to exercise, and is non-commercialised and genuine, unlike some you can buy. It is extremely hard work which can demotivate you a little, but given time the results are much better than most DVD's. I suppose I did prefer Nell's 2nd DVD - Maximum Impact to this latest one, only because it contains a lot more boxing punches, whereas this one is packed full of squats - ouch!
Would recommend you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars tough workout- great results., 1 Jun 2005
I've had a gym membership for a few months now and up until I bought this dvd I was dragging myself there 2 or 3 times a week without very encouraging results. I began to panick as my holiday was looming and my bikini was still going nowhere near me so I bought the nell mcandrew ultimate workout and am sooo pleased with it. I've lost over half a stone (from 10stone 7lb to under 10stone) in about a month of doing this dvd 3 times a week.
The dvd is in sections so you can skip to the bits that you want to do. It's a workout you can do in a confined space, great if you've not much room as most of the exercises are on the spot. All the moves are simple, done to a fast paced dance soundtrack that keeps you moving. Although it's simple I havent found it gets boring as the moves are constsntly changing to keep you're concentration up.
The first few times I did the dvd I was knackered after just the warm up but after a few times I found it getting easier. It says on the box that it's suitable for all fitness levels but I've had both my mum and boyfriend try it and niether of them lasted more than 10 minutes into the main section so it's not just me that finds it tough going! The sections are:
* a 10 minute warm up (stretches & lots of squats)
* a main cardio section (about 40 mins, jogging, starjumps etc) This is very strenuous especially at first but there is a "bail out" button that flashes up every few minutes allowing you to cut the section short if you've had enough or are short of time.
* an upper body workout (about 15 mins, walking on the spot whilst doing arm movements (they use weights)) Personally I dont think this section is needed and usually skip it myself as I find that doing all the other sections is more than enough for my upper body.
* a floor work section (about 10 mins, situps, pressups etc) This section targets main problem areas: bum, tum and thighs. It rounds the workout off with some stretches and leaves you feeling like you've worked every muscle in you're body.
All in all it's a very challenging and thorough workout that leaves you feeling delighted with yourself when you've done it.
I bought the other nell mcandrew dvd "peak energy" at the same time. It's well worth having, I alternate between the 2 workouts as although they are very similar the "peak energy" is slighly easier. Plus it's only about 6 and it means you get free shipping for spending over 19 so it's worth considering.
Hope this review has been useful to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the gym!, 13 Jan 2005
By A Customer
I wanted to get back in shape last year, so bought a variety of exercise tapes, including Nell McAndrew's Maximum Impact (2nd one). Out of all of them I felt Nell's was the least commercialised, and you can see that it is 100% genuine, and she is putting a lot of work in. It also gave me the best results, so I snapped up Nell's Ultimate Challenge (this one) as I decided I would alternate Nell's exercise tapes to keep me motivated.
Like the other reviewers, I too felt that there was little difference between the tapes which was my only disappointment, although Ultimate Challlenge has far more squats (ouch!). I honestly found I preferred Maximum Impact (2nd one), as it consists of a lot of boxing moves, punches etc - I felt there were a few too many squats, and not a lot else!
Regardless, I still think it is 100% value for money, especially as you also get a free 30 minute stetch and tone DVD, which I have done a couple of times. It is good on "in between" days. (Nell is not on this one)
I did find the description on the back cover of Ultimate Challenge confusing though - it states 2 cardio workouts - I spent ages looking for cardio no 2, before realising the 10 minute "warm up" is classed as a cardio workout on the back cover. The 40 minute cario section is exhausting at times, although you dont notice the minutes passing because it is broken into sections - aerobic and squats. You can also shorten your cardio workout, as it is designed so you can stop safely a certain points throughout - a marker comes up on the screen. I am yet to try the 20 minute tone/arms/abs section, and the 20 minute extra bits, as I have been concentrating on the cardio work, but an sure to have a go very soon. It is honestly better than any aeorbics class I have been to, and cheeper and more convenient than the gym!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic workout for top results, 15 Jun 2006
Since I've been doing this DVD (Easter) my fitness levels have gone through the roof. It really is a great workout that pushes you really hard whether you have a low, medium or high fitness level, it'll give you the results you want.

I really appreciate that Nell doesn't talk like a lot of celebrities in their video, abut you have constant motivation and instruction from the instructor which really keeps me going.

The workout deals with all the major areas of the body - the arms, legs, bums, and stomachs. I like how there's the option of a "20 minute" extra workout for if you're feeling extra virtuous. The DVD runs for 1 hour 20 minutes not including this. The exercises are all easy to follow, do not take up much room and are varied so it doesn't get repetitive.

I bought this because I didn't want to go to aerobics classes, but I wanted to push myself hard without spending lots of money. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to do the same - it really gets your heart rate up, your muscles working and improves your physique and fitness rapidly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent if you want real results, 8 April 2006
By A Customer
Personally I like to really feel I have worked out when I do an exercise DVD or class. This DVD certainly fulfilled my needs. It is absolutely brilliant - exciting, tough but with lots of "breathers", great music. It works every part of your body and you REALLY can see results very quickly. I have tried many exercise videos and DVDs in my time and I can honestly say I really, really enjoy going back to this one. Go steady though, it is for the fit to do the whole aerobic section at once every time, little by little if you are new to high impact exercise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results!, 13 Dec 2006
C. james (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the first workout DVD I ever tried, but I felt that I was already reasonably fit, so I wanted something quite challenging.

It certainly is hard work, but it's very easy to do in terms of the actual routines. There are no complicated steps to learn and the moves are all quite basic, so you can just get on with working out rather than having to rehearse and memorise moves.

I've tried lots of other excersise DVDs since, but this is still my favourite and I think it gives great results - especially on legs and bums. It doesn't take long to see the results and the workout does become less of a struggle the more you do it, so it keeps you motivated too. It is a very cardio based DVD, though, so not as good as others if you are looking for conditioning and flexibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant workout, 31 Dec 2004
By A Customer
I would thoroughly recommend this workout, it's tough and fast paced and gets you sweating. Some DVDs are too complicated and don't get your heart rate up but not this one. The steps are easy to follow, the instructor calls them clearly and repeats each move 8 - 16 times so you can easily follow what he is doing. The best bit is the music, really funky house music that gets you in the mood for jumping up and down. The thigh holds are a killer - but very effective. 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T waste your money if........, 7 Jan 2005
By A Customer
It's an excellent workout for those of you who don't have Peak Energy though - My complaint is that you DON'T need both, buy one or the other! Nonetheless, I salute Nell for being one of the very few to release a workout aimed at those who are quite fit, but for one reason or another just don't make it to the gym.
Like Peak Energy it's not for the faint-hearted and some level of fitness is required to complete the workout. For those who grumbled about Peak Energy being too difficult (and who will no doubt say the same about this one): what do you want? Something to aspire to and feel absolutely fantastic about the first time you actually manage to complete it - something you really do see results with? Or, do you want a simple workout that you can do over and over again without results? If it's the former, buy either this or Peak Energy, if it's the latter, stear clear of Nell's workouts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive but VERY effective, love it!!!!!, 26 Sep 2006
When I first watched this through a month or so ago, I was terrified and put off doing it. Finally plucked up the courage to go for it and loved every minute. I have the music blaring, and really give it my all. Liam is a task master, the workout is very challenging, when I get to the end I'm knackered, but I can really feel that I've worked hard!! I am no beginner to exercise, but certainly no gym bunny. Without a few weeks of my Davina DVD before hand, this would've killed me, one leg at a time!

It hurts, but it works!!! Going to buy the others now as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nell McAndrew's Power Workout, 11 July 2006
S. Rezwan "WorkoutJunkie" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Its powerful & challenging but definately gets the work done. Take your time and ease into it slowly. At first I could only do 15-30 minutes, now, I've managed to build up my resistance and can do the entire cardio section. This DVD is for someone who really wants to get fit and does not mind putting the effort into it. I lost 10 kilo's with this DVD, along with varying it with 2 other Peak Energy dvd's by Nell McAndrew. Its truly worth your money.

Nell Mcandrew's Ultimate Challenge: Ultimate Results [DVD] [2004]