Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 May 2005
A special album for your special collection. That's probably the best way to describe it... Let's be honest - fans of Britney aren't going to buy it.
I also bought it on the strength of Robert Downey Jr's performance on Jonathan's Ross show. And I'm not disappointed. Music is wonderfully rich and complex, without being pretentious. Vocals are OK - not brilliant, but much, much better then average. The cast of musicians on the album is very impressive, which only makes it an even more worthwhile piece of music.
Very good production encourages it to be played loud - and do play it louder then usual, otherwise some of the quieter and brilliant layers of music may disappear.
Overall? Buy it, especially at this price. You will not be disappointed, but be prepared for it to grow on you. I wanted to give it 4.5 stars, but Amazon don't have this rating, so 5 was a much better choice then 4!
on 29 April 2005
I purchased this album on the strength of RDJ's impressive live performance on Jonathan Ross' show. 'Man Like Me' was the track, and thankfully the other 10 songs are also worthy of much praise. Take the vocal versatility of Peter Gabriel, the complex jazz and percussive arrangements of Sting, add a sprinkling of Pearl Jam, touches of Billy Joel, and beautiful piano/synth arrangements reminiscent of early Bruce Hornsby and you're somewhere close to explaining RDJ's unique sound. This album deserves to be big, and probably will be(And not just on the strength of young ladies seeing the inserted album cover that obscures RDJ's more self-deprecating 'fag ash' portrait!). A rich layered collection of songs from a complex personality which will appeal to a broad spectrum of people. Put away the Nora Jones 'coffee table' CD and try something surprisingly 'caffeine free'.All that naked bongo playing has definitely paid off!
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2006
This is a truly stunning and underrated CD that thoroughly deserves to be bought!
Downey Jr brings us a beautiful selection of songs, some incredibly powerful, and some sweet and dreamy, all of them with thoughtful, touching lyrics. His voice is deep, rich and soulful, and also has a husky edge that's incredibly sexy in an understated way. He more than equals the emotional sensitivity that current singers such as James Blunt and Damien Rice are often praised for. His style and tone are truly unique - the closest I can get to a vocal comparison is probably Genesis, but thats not very accurate.
One of my favourite songs is 'Broken', with its expression of how difficult it is to find love in a world where everyone's suffering from the strains of modern life. The amazing song 'Man Like Me' is also a definite highlight, and is inspirational, as it conveys Downey's determination to rise above his chequered past, to leave behind the days when he was at his lowest and to build a new life. Lines such as 'This is a habit I'm breaking now for ever; I'm weary of trying to shake it' will strike a chord with anyone who's suffered from addiction of any kind. The song is also a statement of his own worth, his message to those who have judged him - he still believes that a man like him is worth listening to. And after hearing this CD, I'm sure you'll agree.
Finally I'll just say, if you buy this CD and like it, then you might also want to get hold of the 'Ally McBeal:For Once In My Life' CD, as it includes Downey's heartwrenching piano ballad 'Snakes', as well as duets with Sting and Vonda Shepard.
on 20 May 2005
I totally recommend this cd it sounds like a mixture of Sting and Peter Gabrial,there is a certain vunrability about this cd
which adds to the enjoyment. Mr Downey singing off key on occasions but always focused and drawing you in to his world.
I never thought like most of you of ever owning a Robert Downey Jnr Cd, Im so pleased i do ,Brilliant.
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2012
I found this gorgeous album initially via youtube...I listened to "man like me" and despite the rash descision to download it from amazon. In no way have I been disappointed. Like many I have been a RDJr fan for years. Maybe 10 years I would say but I only recently found out he could sing. What a beautiful voice he has. His vocal talent is raw and uncomplicated, spontaneous and it washes over you like a relaxing hypnosis. Highlights for me include "man like me" - words cannot describe how good this song is. Just listen. I also love "kimberley glide" which is elegant and carries you along this beautiful visual journey until the very end. The first time I heard the album from beginning to end I cried, just because of how meaningful the songs are...they hit a lot of memories for me. Now the more I've listened I find its become a point of relaxation. My 45 mins of calm and serenity. Its like audio yoga for the soul. That's the only way I can think to describe it. The man has such an incredible talent for both singing and acting. Okay so this album isn't going to appeal to the masses but, for people with a good ear and taste in music it will be worth it. To go on a journey with Robert Downey Jr has been incredible. And I re-live that every time I listen. Thankyou my good sir.
on 25 September 2008
the man is a total genius, with a warmth and radiance that just flows out of his work and this is no exception. great lyrics, great voice. needs to be listened to a few times to get the full impact, after which you just find layer after layer of meaning- like his work. go buy!
on 6 September 2006
My only experience of Robert Downey Jr singing was on Ally McBeal (when I assumed it was a TV 'trick'), I then heared him on Jonothan Ross (was very impressed), and recently bought this CD. He has a truly unique voice, which conveyes his personal struggles, without dwelling on them, and leaves you wanting to hear more. This album is all the more impressive for being largly written by the singer (only 2 covers). 'Man Like Me' and '5:30' are particularly striking, with vocals to rival anything currently being churned out.

On the whole, a thoroughly solid album which will satisfy anyone who appreciates genuine music.
on 10 June 2008
I only knew Robert Downey Jr as an actor and had seen him a few films, when I found out he was a singer too I decided to check out this album.
I am so glad I did, I've never heard anything like it. The songs are so personal and different to anything you normally hear. His voice fits the music perfectly and he sounds like he puts genuine emotion into the words he sings. If you're a fan of Robert Downey Jr, you have to buy this album.
EXCELLENT!!!!!!
on 27 September 2013
After having no luck in finding this cd in any music store in town, I finally found it on amazon :D
I bought it for my boyfriend's birthday and it came in fantastic condition. No scratches at all and a prompt delivery!
on 30 December 2011
I didn't know Robert Downey Jr sang at all until about a week ago, but once I listened to 'Man Like Me' on youtube I had to buy his album. So glad I did. It's a beautifully crafted album, with a great music and often poignant lyrics. He should have got far more attention for this album, but I guess (as another reviewer pointed out) it's not the sort of music fans of modern 'pop' are probably going to like. Shame for them because I love it. RDJ is a talented musician and singer (as well as his other many talents) and I hope we get the more opportunities to hear him sing in the future.