5.0 out of 5 stars A special album!
A special album for your special collection. That's probably the best way to describe it... Let's be honest - fans of Britney aren't going to buy it.
I also bought it on the strength of Robert Downey Jr's performance on Jonathan's Ross show. And I'm not disappointed. Music is wonderfully rich and complex, without being pretentious. Vocals are OK - not brilliant, but...
Published on 12 May 2005 by Adam Zielinski

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
I love RDJ. This is a really boring album of depressing samey songs.
Published 2 months ago by Yo Diggedy

5.0 out of 5 stars It is possible to fall in love again..., 22 Jun 2012
Ghost of Kai (South Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Futurist (Audio CD)
I found this gorgeous album initially via youtube...I listened to "man like me" and despite the rash descision to download it from amazon. In no way have I been disappointed. Like many I have been a RDJr fan for years. Maybe 10 years I would say but I only recently found out he could sing. What a beautiful voice he has. His vocal talent is raw and uncomplicated, spontaneous and it washes over you like a relaxing hypnosis. Highlights for me include "man like me" - words cannot describe how good this song is. Just listen. I also love "kimberley glide" which is elegant and carries you along this beautiful visual journey until the very end. The first time I heard the album from beginning to end I cried, just because of how meaningful the songs are...they hit a lot of memories for me. Now the more I've listened I find its become a point of relaxation. My 45 mins of calm and serenity. Its like audio yoga for the soul. That's the only way I can think to describe it. The man has such an incredible talent for both singing and acting. Okay so this album isn't going to appeal to the masses but, for people with a good ear and taste in music it will be worth it. To go on a journey with Robert Downey Jr has been incredible. And I re-live that every time I listen. Thankyou my good sir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crafted album, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Futurist (Audio CD)
I didn't know Robert Downey Jr sang at all until about a week ago, but once I listened to 'Man Like Me' on youtube I had to buy his album. So glad I did. It's a beautifully crafted album, with a great music and often poignant lyrics. He should have got far more attention for this album, but I guess (as another reviewer pointed out) it's not the sort of music fans of modern 'pop' are probably going to like. Shame for them because I love it. RDJ is a talented musician and singer (as well as his other many talents) and I hope we get the more opportunities to hear him sing in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Futurist [Us Import] (Audio CD)
I came across this completely by accident when looking up something about one of his films, managed to find one of the tracks to listen to online and was impressed, so bought the album.

It's not a perfect, spot-on, squeaky clean album, it has flaws and it's a bit raw around the edges in places, but it adds to the charm of it. Some lovely performances from a guy who has a great, sexy, slightly rough voice (and is rather good looking to boot!). It sounds as if a lot of soul has been put into most of the songs and the feelings come through. There are a few lines in some that seem a bit contrived, but other songs and you feel like it's sung from the heart. The melodies are great too, quite minimalist but at the same time managing to be soaring, sweeping and carrying you along with them.

Overall a very pleasant album with moments of brilliance throughout. "Man Like Me" is an especial highlight, with "5:30" also being a favourite.

Comparisons are drawn with Sting and I can definitely hear similarities with the sound and style of some of the songs, but he definitely has his own distinctive sound, which is so nice to hear in these days of everything sounding the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soloist, 16 May 2010
J. E. Martin (SE, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Futurist (Audio CD)
Having been a Robert Downey Jr fan for many years, indeed his latest calendar is plastered across my office walls, I was more than a little worried about listening to this album. I already owned the CD single, Smile (thank you Mark!) and liked RDj's voice on that, but an album is a whole different thing. Even though the title is shared with one of his deepest and most moving films it stands alone. It needed nothing more than 'Robert Downey Jr' as its title. A friend sent me 'A Man Like Me' via a networking site and I HAD to own it, it has a musical phrase that actually gives me the shivers. That track led me to the album. And I shall be forever grateful. Gentle, but with an edge, like chocolate...with that hint of dark bitterness, sophisticated and haunting. I love it.
If there is one teeny tiny criticism...then it would be the lengthy and, at times, clumsy double bass section in 'Smile', but eaily forgiven, on balance!

5.0 out of 5 stars And he sings too...., 3 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Futurist (Audio CD)
Just Brilliant! It's music to slit your wrist by BUT it really is amazing. The music is excellent and Mr Downey's voice and passion well.... Unless you are a big fan you maybe a little disappointed as this is obviously a very personal album for him. Would love to see him do more though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprising Depth, 6 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Futurist (Audio CD)
My only experience of Robert Downey Jr singing was on Ally McBeal (when I assumed it was a TV 'trick'), I then heared him on Jonothan Ross (was very impressed), and recently bought this CD. He has a truly unique voice, which conveyes his personal struggles, without dwelling on them, and leaves you wanting to hear more. This album is all the more impressive for being largly written by the singer (only 2 covers). 'Man Like Me' and '5:30' are particularly striking, with vocals to rival anything currently being churned out.

On the whole, a thoroughly solid album which will satisfy anyone who appreciates genuine music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album I've Ever Heard!!!!!!, 10 Jun 2008
Ms. N. Canham "nicolacanham" (orpington, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Futurist (Audio CD)
I only knew Robert Downey Jr as an actor and had seen him a few films, when I found out he was a singer too I decided to check out this album.
I am so glad I did, I've never heard anything like it. The songs are so personal and different to anything you normally hear. His voice fits the music perfectly and he sounds like he puts genuine emotion into the words he sings. If you're a fan of Robert Downey Jr, you have to buy this album.
EXCELLENT!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Futurist Can Sing, 10 Feb 2008
J. Holmes - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Futurist (Audio CD)
What a brilliant CD I surprised he could sing so well. Would recommend this to everyone to listen to

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 19 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Futurist (Audio CD)
I love RDJ. This is a really boring album of depressing samey songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars dreamy and thoughtfull, 24 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Futurist (Audio CD)
I just loved this album, we saw him on the Johnathon Ross show and baught the album as a result. It reminds me of music in the 70's like melodic, soulfull Genesis and a bit 'Yes' at times. It makes a lovely treat to play and relax to. Apart from the fact that he is so totally georgouse as well. Go get it and enjoy!

The Futurist
The Futurist by Robert Downey Jr. (Audio CD - 2005)