Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 October 2008
I freely admit this is a very dumb movie. But somehow it really makes me laugh. I particularly enjoyed Dinsdale Landen as an ever-so-British army commander. There are plenty of affectionate digs at the sci-fi genre, too, most notably Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Very silly, juvenile and actually quite bad in places - but nevertheless this is a lot of fun.
on 27 April 2010
Typical Mel Smith humour. Bought as a gift for a 58 year old male friend, and thoroughly enjoyed by him. For anyone who loved the Alas Smith and Jones comedy series in the 80s this would be right up their street, but with a sci-fi twist. Unusual to see Jimmy Nail in such a role. All quite silly, but fun.
on 5 June 2015
I saw this, I think, five times in the cinema when it first came out. Many people hate it; I love it, and can recite many lines. When the married sister left her children with me and they needed amusement over Christmas I put on a copy of the film I had recorded off TV years earlier, and they were duly amused. She was almost dumbstruck when she heard that I had put it on and she had missed it, so I got her this for her birthday. I haven't heard if she's watched it, but judging from her reaction I should think she will enjoy it when she does. There are some wonderful quotes, and I give this one as an example: "You can't let THEM talk to your leaders! They have enough difficulty talking to each other!"
on 5 February 2010
Despite critical comments I read elswhere and its rather derisory IMDB rating of 4/10, I watched this Smith and Jones movie on the strength of their unfairly forgotten masterpiece "Wilt". Unlike Wilt, I think Morons deserves its obscurity, but its still not quite as bad as others would have you think. The more subtle humour bubbling under its louder, farcical surface is much more entertaining; for example, the night-time village scene when the spaceship crashes - as the noise wakes up the inhabitants the lights of the houses start to come on one by one, but it's quite easy to miss that a farm tractor, greenhouse and even a chicken coop also appear to have been disturbed by the noise. The film is also notable for being Mike Hodges only crack at comedy; if you look carefully you may notice some props and costumes from his sci-fi fantasy "Flash Gordon". I think Morons is certainly worth watching once, and my own rating on IMDB was 6/10. I'm sure Smith and Jones fans would find it even more satisfying, especially if they treated it as a big budget TV special, which is what it feels like really.

Image quality is frustrating; the transfer obviously has excellent contrast and some nice vibrant colour, but unfortunately this is all hidden under a veil of grain which is far too murky. I have a feeling that if it is ever deemed necessary, even a gentle clean-up would improve the transfer immeasurably. Sound quality is better, with a lot more happening in the surrounds than I was expecting. Bass performance is also surprisingly good. There's nothing in the way of extras though apart from a choice of soundtracks and a smattering of subtitles, although oddly some care has been taken over the menus.
on 22 June 2016
They sold it with a clip of Mel Smith sneezing in his space helmet - I was hooked! Anyway, it's all right, though quite talky; and not really that much action.

Interesting to note that the other cinema was showing 9-5.
on 25 September 2014
Dire movie. Not enough from the brilliant Smith. Jones looks unmotivated by the script, and far too much of the awful Jimmy Nail.
on 24 April 2016
A very funny film. Reminded me what a brilliant comedian Mel Smith was. Get it, watch it, fall around clutching your sides.
on 21 June 2016
Very funny movie indeed . Had it on video a few years ago and it is just as I remember it .
on 6 October 2014