Do They Know It's Christmas?
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£7.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 16 November 2004
I've just heard this on Radio 1 and what can I say? Well, it's different. The song opens up with the sombre sound of a piano, and the strumming of guitars. Is this the same song? Chris Martin confirms it is with those classic opening lines. Dido next, yawning '...and in a world full of plenty...'. Thank God for Robbie, putting some much needed power into the song, doing his bit with '...but say a prayer, pray for the other ones...'. Sugartarts, I mean babes, up next with their totally un-emotional offering. Travis' Fran Healy next doing a good job with '...where the only water flowing...'. Will Young and Jamelia team up next doing quite a good job continuing with '...is the bitter sting of tears...'
Now the bit we've all been waiting for; music's biggest star Bono with his unforgettable line '...but tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...'
I won't go into the rest of the song for risk of spoiling it for people who haven't heard it yet, but I do have to comment on the inclusion of a rap by Dizze Rascal half way through the song: I nearly choked on my corn flakes this morning when I heard this and it just does not go with the song whatsoever. I would say the artists that stand out on this have to be Tom 'Keane' Chaplin, Fran Healy and Bono. People will argue about this song for many months, if not years, to come, but at the end of the day all these artists (and Ms. Dynamite) gave up their hard earned time to record this song for one of the most deprived regions in our world today, so good on them. Don't forget, ALL proceeds from this single will go to help starving children and to help rebuild broken lives. So, 2 stars for content, 5 stars for the cause.
on 25 December 2004
No it's not as good as the original, but it's not that bad either! The original packed more power and, of course, it was completely original. However, the new version has some things going for it. First off, it actually has women singing some of the main lines rather than relegated to the chorus alone. Next, the transition from the first part to the "Feed he world" chorus is actually handled better on this version; I really like the plaintive female voice used here.
Overall, buy it , cos you'll get both versions anyway. Of course you could just send the money to charity, but that won't keep the "buzz" going, and get more people thinking and acting like having this CD the biggest seller of he last 5 years or whatever will.
on 3 December 2014
When I first heard it I just couldn't believe what they'd done to an iconic song like this I mean what were they thinking?.
Yes the stars gave there time up to re record it and the money raised is for a good cause but why has it been produced so badly.

I'll start with the very sombre intro which goes into chris martin's opening vocal which gives the feel that this is isn't going to be no were near like the original.next up its dido who's a good singer but on a record like this its a massive no go as she just hasn't got the voice to deliver the line like her predecessors did.after that it gets steadily worse but wait bono has his classic line so all's going to be good! sadly it is isn't.

He sounds like he has something wrong with his voice as he struggles to get that powerful line across like he did in 84 but to be fair u2 were touring at the time so that could've had something to do with it but he sounds loads better on the current 2014 version.

So after that it decline's fast but then hits new lows as we have to endure the 'rap' from dizzy rascal (remember him).
Well what can be said err not a lot but why?.who on earth thought this was a good idea I mean come on your trying to emulate an all time iconic song listened to by million's so why change it with this needles 'rap' it's truly dreadful in everyway and how bob Geldof thought it was ok is beyond me.

Anyhow (rant over) after that the song never recovers not that it was ok in the first place and builds to a what can only be described
as a noise of instruments playing in a odd way to close the song a song which I felt should've been left well alone in the 1980's.

I struggle how anybody can even like this version knowing the original is so much better in vocals,arrangement,sound,production..i'd even go as far in saying the stock,aitkin,watermen version was better that's how bad this has been produced.

To sum up this came out the same year as live 8 and as far i'm concerned both were a waste of time and achieved very little.
on 19 November 2004
This was never going to be able to fairly compete with the excitement and event of 1984/85. However, as far as good intentions go, this is fine and a festive reminder to do the Right Thing. Chris Coldplay Martin and Ben Keane Chaplin play their emotionful parts as one is accustomed especially with the Feed The World chorus. Robbie Williams belts his lines with characterful gusto. Justin Darkness Hawkins eschews his querky histrionics for simple great singing and wrapped around his lines is the infamous Dizzee Rascal moment.
I really think this little section is essential for Band Aid 20. The rap is succinct, to the point and really works, moreover it is current and is an era defining moment for this record.
The gentle meloncholic beginning is swept away in the second half with rousing guitar breaks from Dan Hawkins and Jonny Greenwood building to the ensemble finale.
Unfortunately the great female soul voices of Bev Knight and Joss Stone don't quite get the space they perhaps deserve especially after the hugely popular, but distinctly mediocre Dido has a major opening role. You cannot help comparing Bono '84 to Bono '04, which, despite his explanations, feels far too limp and weak.
I'm sure everyone will buy this regardless (the original '84 version is included too) - If you don't like it then then buy it to show your children and grandchildren how charity records will have progressed / declined in another 20 years and to show the absurdity of how popular certain people were in the middle of this decade!
on 29 November 2004
It's simple.
If you like the new version, buy this.
If you prefer the original, buy this. It has the original on.
If you want to hear the Live Aid version, buy this AND buy the Live Aid DVD.
If you don't like the song at all, buy it anyway or go to the website
and cut out the middle man.
It's time to make poverty history. This is a small step in that direction.
on 16 December 2004
I really do not care what anyone thinks of this song whether it is good or bad all of which is relative anyway BUT I do think that it is a good idea and a good thing for the rest of us when these so called pampered pop stars get off their backsides, record a song and donate the proceeds to a good cause.
It may not be the best song in the world but you can always sing along when you are full of the Xmas spirits, or hum the tune or sing along when you are driving to visit your family. If it encourages you to give to this or any other charity then good for you and good for them.
It is a good thing to think of others less fortunate than ourselves at this time of the year and the people in Africa are getting hit harder than most.
I would implore people to order this item from Amazon right now, send one to everyone they know and tell the world. Ask them if they know it's Xmas and encourage them to do the same.
We are the world, you and I. As the Beatles sang, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
on 13 March 2006
I think it was a good idea to redo this song and target the younger generation. This is such a feel-good song, and it gives you a sense of well being listening to it and knowing the money you spent on the CD is helping people.
The CD includes the original, and Band Aid Live.
This really is worth having.
on 1 May 2011
This recording, which I formerly had on vinyl is impossible to find in the U.S. Bob Geldof called on the greatest artists in the U.K. to do a British version of "We are the World", which had recently been recorded in the U.S. Both recordings proceeds were donated to feed starving Africans. A true gem!
on 14 December 2004
Everyone is slating this single, but personally I think that re-making it was a good idea. Children now who won't have heard of the song before and won't have understood what it represented at the time will now understand, and they will be educated about problems facing people in different parts of the world. I think that by involving more modern artists will help this process. I don't think the remake is as bad as it's being made out to be, and at least the rap in the middle brings something different to it! And it's for a good cause! I think it's OK.
on 16 December 2004
The original is great, I like the new version as well, with such a range of different voices, from Justin Hawkins to Joss Stone, Tom Chaplin to Beverly Knight, Bono with his famous line. I saw the making of television program the other day. You could clearly see why the record was being made, not to be great, and musical and fun, but to make a difference, the video shown moved all the artists and frankly anyone not moved by it must be incapible of emotion, so if you won't buy it because you like the version, or because you liked the original which is also on the CD, buy it to make a difference, buy it to change someones life.