5.0 out of 5 stars Another cool gadget from Sony.
Hello all, I cant remember writing a review here on Amazon so this may be the first. Now where do I begin?
Published on 31 Dec. 2004 by M. Ahmed

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down By Chronic Software
If you want to use this you'll need to use Sony's proprietary Sonic Stage software. For that reason alone I would say leave well alone - Google the Sony support forums if you want further confirmation.

That's a real shame because this is a nice fairly rugged little unit that works reasonably well (upgraded headphones are a worthy investment though)...
Published on 15 Mar. 2008 by AndyB

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cool gadget from Sony., 31 Dec. 2004
M. Ahmed - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
I had a Sony MZ-N10 minidisk walkman for about a year and never really got any use out of it, and decided to sell it and buy an MP3 player. I'm a Sony man and therefore it had to be a Sony. After going around the block and looking at other makes, including the iPOD, I came to the NW-E99. Its the latest from Sony and it has 1GB of memory.
Pros:
1. So small and dead sexy. Don't be fooled by the pics here or anywhere else, its much smaller in real life! Which is a good thing of course.
2. It has 1 GB of memory, plenty for me to store all my favourite tracks. It has a group function which allows you to sort all your music out in folders and you can name them whatever you like. I sorted mine into Soundtracks, R&B, Indie, Pop, etc.
3. Battery life is a ridicolous 70 hours from 1 AAA battery, if the music files are converted to ATRAC3. 60 hours for ATRAC3plus and 50 hours for MP3 files without any conversion.
4. Sound quality is excellent and I was shoked at how loud this thing is. The loudness issue was the only thing I was worried about before I bought this, but now I am going deaf!
5. This baby is so easy to use. The shuttle switch makes it so easy and pain free to navigate between tracks and groups. The volume is nicely situated at the side and can be easily operated when inside a pocket or underneath clothing.
6. It has a 1 line display with back light. Has all the usual perks you'd expect from the walkman brand - options to choose different display info, sound options with base & treble contol, AVLS, an internal clock, backlight options, beep options etc. you get the picture.
7. A cool kneck strap is also provided so that you can have the NW-E99 hanging from your kneck. Nice.
Cons:
1. The finish is very nice but it has one flaw! Finger prints get smudged all over it. Not a problem but a different finish would have been nice.
2. Although the shuttle switch is a great touch, the other buttons aren't. There are 3 small black buttons which control Menu, Group, Repeat & Sound. It's these buttons that feel rather stiff and just dnt seem right. Not easy to operate these buttons when you have it beneath clothing. To save frustration, I have to use both hands!
3. The 1GB of storage is divided in to 2 lots of 512MBs. This again is not a major drawback but just makes transfering a bit more time consuming. I'd have preffered just one drive with 1GB.
4. No radio.
5. The earphones provided are rubbish. To truly appreciate the sound this baby has to offer, you should get yourself some proper Sony earphones like the Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones. They will cost you another £25-£28 though, but well worth it.
So all in all, I love this gadget. Its got a great sound quality, very small, huge battery life (the best on the market, this is where the iPOD eats dust!), and its so cool and its a SONY. }:o)
If you need more memory, then go for the other Sony 20-40GB players. Sony cause nothing beats its sound qulity and battery usage. If you dont like Sony, then look at other makes like creative, Iriver etc. They are all good too.
Hope this helps.
A happy new year to all you Amozonians.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony NW-E99 - Excellent Device, 17 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
Was unsure about what to buy when replacing my MiniDisc player. Key factors were:
- 70 hours battery life on one AAA cell. No worries about having to continually re-charge a battery that begins to lose its capacity. (Haven't had to replace it yet, but I anticipate getting about 50 hours as a result of using the 64kbps ATRAC3plus format, which is still ideal for the length of journeys I make)
- very small and convenient to slip into any size of pocket (or worn unobtrusively round the neck)
- high storage capacity (in relative terms), being able to store up to 45 CDs at 48kbps or 34 CDs at my preferred 64kbps ATRAC3plus format (some tracks sounded just a wee bit 'scratchy' at the 48kbps rate)
- excellent sound quality (see below re: headphones)
- easy to operate
- easy to transfer CDs to PC to device
Only downside (hence the 4 out of 5) is not so much the quality of headphones but the fact that there were no foam earbud covers! Without them, the earbuds don't sit snugly in the ear and tend to slip out of place. I used the foam pads from another set of personal Walkman headphones and the sound quality is now excellent. Don't feel the need to buy the Fontopia headphones as recommended by others.
As another reviewer mentions, there is no facility to create playlists from tracks on the Walkman, but compilations can be created in Sony's SonicStage which can then be transferred. With regard to SonicStage, I downloaded and installed SonicStage 2.3 and the drivers for the device, rather than install SonicStage 2.1 from the CD, and have had no problems. The software does a perfectly adequate job of recording tracks on PC and transferring onto the device.
As for appearance, I much prefer the professional and sleek design of the NW-E99 to the plastic look and feel of the iPod Shuffle, but that's a personal choice.
No regrets about buying this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Damn Good, 5 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
MP3 players. Sooo much choice. Different capacity, size, formats, brands and insane ammounts of extra features to try and keep you ammused while you listen to your favouite tunes. But how well can these features compensate for whats really a £10 piece of crap made in the back of some Taiwanese supermarket with a radio shoved in it. What you really want is an mp3 player that plays music, and plays it well.
Take this beauty. Its the size of a box of matches, and you can fit over 600 songs on it. Thats dog loads of musical pleasure for your ears to keep you rockin to where your going.
Build:
When this thing arrives from Amazon(evenyually, but more on that later) it comes in a deceptivly bug cardboard container, about the size of a phonebook, but wider. You open it up to find a tiny black box simply with the Sony trademark and the picture of your new piece of kit. When you first open the box it takes a few seconds just to realise that that's all you get for your money. But size is deceptive, as the dark aluminium and clear acrylic houses some truely awesome power. The shuttle switch fits neatly to the side and the small black buttons are just about the right size, and provide tactile feedback. The USB and battery covers could be better attached, but its not like you have them hanging open all the time.
Features:
When you by an mp3 player, you dont by it to be able to arrange contacts and play solitaire(not mentioning any names, IPod), so dont expect it to be able to make your breakfast for you. You can chnage the time and date, sound levels (bass and treble) and thats about it. It does, however, play music at seriously high quality.
Capacity:
As my friends all have HD players like Ipods and those in the Sony range, I was tempted by the evils of high capacity portable audio, but opted for this one. Because of the Atrac3+ compression, you can fit over 600 songs onto the 1GB flash memory. Its divided into two 512MB drives, which I dont see as a problem, and is usefull for being able to show off how many songs you can fit on the memory. An the quality is the same as that of at least 128kbps mp3's, so dont let the reduction to 48kbps put you off.
Conclusion:
This things a beast! So many songs in such a small form factor.
Pros:
High capacity thanks to good compression
Tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny.........
Nice colour, very cool
Great sound, but get youself some new phones to really appreciate it
Cons:
Small hiss when backlight is on, but can't hear it when musics on
No radio, but most of its s**t anyway
The bag it comes with is too big
Supplied headphone chord is to short
Ummmmm..
Thats it
So, if you want to carry crazy ammounts of tracks around with you in something real small, and make you friends with HD players or regular 1GB players jealous, buy this beauty and you wont be dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chic, Small and Very Cool, 1 Jan. 2005
step (Hertfordshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
This is great. Beautifully designed, with its chrome effect body.... This is shinny enough to use as a mini mirror! It's very easy to use with clear instruction booklets for both the device itself and the Atrac3Plus Compression Software provided. You get a half descent set of earphones with an extension for it and a neck strap. Saving data is surprisingly easy as it is a removable hard drive and loading the data is just as easy... just plug it in! I use it for music for my journey to college, and then I can save the work I do then take it home for homework. The buttons on the device is quite easy to use and the shuttle switch is just brill. I reckon it should have a radio built in as it makes it more "user friendly"
It's so light! Just don't lose it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 25 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
Having lost one MP3 player to a girlfriend ("Oh it's so cute") and another to wear and tear. I was on the market for another. Having listened to my Mini Disc while I procrastinated. I opted for a Sony simply because the sound quality from my MD was just so good. Well. I've had the NW99 a week now and my thoughts;
Typical Sony construction, built like the Queens outhouse. The sound quality is fantastic I just didn't realise how dull my others were until this one came along. Can't speak on the Battery life. But the bar has moved down a notch. (after around 10 hours) 4 to go.
Mind you, Sony could have included an arm band. (I'm 43 and a neck holder doesn't appeal to me. Nor is it practical in the gym) I've noticed the transfer speed from my computer to player takes a year and a day. But hey it's a small price to pay.
All in all a wonderful piece of technological hardware. I'm hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB PLAYER, 11 Mar. 2005
Chris (sw england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
I have bought eight mp3 players in the last couple of months, and I rate this as one of the absolute best for these reasons.
1: The sound quality is really really good - especially with Sony fontopia earphones, or Senheiser 200s
2: I still cant get over the size of it and it just looks great
3: Due to the format - It holds much more than you would expect for a single GB, in fact its much closer to the capacity of a Zen Micro than it is to a Muvo. It can hold around 100 tracks in the highest bite rate, and lots, lots more if you drop it down to the standard rate (which still sounds better than the Zen Micros best effort)
4: Battery life is very good
My criticisms (which stop me from giving it 5 stars) are:
1: The software is a major pain in the ass when compared to the other players.
2: There is no voice recorder or tuner.
All said and done though - if you want to listen to high quality sounds on a tiny, rugged, and well styled MP3 then this is the one to go for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad points below, 2 May 2005
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
Here's my plus and minus points over a spectrum. Your priorities might be different, of course, but this is how I rate it:
+3: It has an incredible battery life. 70 hours from an AAA at the lower bitrates is amazing. I'm using the highest bitrate though, but it's had about 20 hours of play with only one 'notch' down.
+2: It plays ATRAC3plus format, which however you look at it, is vastly superior to mp3, both in terms of file size at lower bitrates and sound quality at higher bitrates. If your files are ripped from your own CDs like mine, why use mp3?
+1: The build quality is very good. It feels substantial and hi-tech. It's a little bit heavier than it's rivals which I think is worth the better build. Love the acrylic surround, yes it attracts fingerprints but they are easily polished away. Some other products feel like flimsy toys by comparison. I find the buttons easy to use.
0: The SonicStage software is awkward to use. I have this as a neutral because although it's clunky and slow, it does work, and does everything you need it to. I could never settle on one mp3 software to do everything, with the E99, SonicStage is all I need.
-1: Supplied headphones are rubbish, goes without saying for most players, sadly. Budget for some better ones.
-2: It doesn't seem to support USB 2.0. File transfer is at slow 1.1 speeds. Annoying when using higher bitrates.
-3: Worst of all, the E99 (along with other Sony players) has a poor signal to noise ratio of 80dB. Non-audiophiles won't have a clue what I'm talking about, but in this area it's Creative small MuVo rival blows it out of the water. It may be why me and others have detected an annoying background hiss between tracks and with quieter music. As I'll be using this outdoors I can live with it, but try listening in a quiet room in the middle of the night with the volume turned low - it's awful. Sony, Sony - why why why do you come up with such a good compression format and good alternative earbuds only to make hissy players with background noise? I don't understand it. Is it a trade-off for battery life? Don't know. Some might argue that it doesn't need to be any higher, but I can tell the difference. If only my Zen Micro played ATRAC3plus...
I chose this player over it's Creative rival because of the better battery life and to experiment with the ATRAC3plus format. But what I've found won't completely tempt me away from mp3, yet. I may end up getting the MuVo micro anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars its a great player and better than the shuffle....., 11 Jun. 2005
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
i love my ipod (sad i know) but wanted to buy something smaller to throw in my bag for daily use....this is a great player and the software is really easy to use..i don't know why anyone has a problem, just download the newest version from sony(its as easy to use as itunes)....the player is tiny, smaller than a matchbox, and is well made and silver(sony always style well)...sound quality is good.....it has a good screen,on which you can read the tracks etc...the two 512mb internal memory cards are easy to navigate....it comes with a neckstrap and bag, as well as some ok headphones...i think its the best value 1gb player on the market(its good value for money)...it has hours and hours of playback and so far i've fitted on about 30 albums at 64kps and its still not full...

5.0 out of 5 stars Size does matter!, 5 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
After weeks of trying to decide which MP3 to buy, I finally opted for the Sony NWE99 as it had all the main features I was looking for - tiny in size, excellent battery life (up to 70 hours!) and a half decent memory. I've squeezed 46 CDs onto this thing using Sony's AtracPlus software (48kbps) which is a breeze to use. Some might say that you lose too much quality at that rate of compression, but as I'm no expert I really can't tell the difference. I did toy with the idea of getting Sony's NW HD1 with 20gb (especially as Amazon had it for only £199), but in the end it was the tiny dimensions of this product and the exceptional battery that won me over. I like the idea of being able to carry a conventional spare battery around and not having to remember to recharge the unit every couple of days. And at the end of the day, 46 CDs at my fingertips is enough to keep me happy for quite a while before I have to change them! Excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Sony NW-E99 Network Walkman 1Gb - Chrome (Electronics)
I was a little aprehensive at first but took the plunge. I dont regret the purchase at all.
The NW-E99 is very small, sturdy and well constructed. It menu system is easy to grasp and doesnt take that long to get used to. The sound quality even from music stored in the atrac3plus 48k bitrate is alone enough reason to buy this item, but sony have brought there atrac format across well into this little gem.
I have manage to get 47 albums stored on tis little player, which with a standard 1gb player you will not achieve, granted this is at the lowest bitrate but as i said the atrac3plus 48k bitrate is superb.
The headphones supplied are not as bad as some have said if you have small ears yes they may be a bit uncomfortable after a while so investing in a better pair to suit may be needed but the sound quality from the headphone is quite good.
The sonic stage 2.1 software has been reported to be slow and ackward to use but i have had no problems. If your having problems with it just goto [...] and select the nw-e99 from the products list and u will find a update link to sonic stage 3.1 which works great and encodes and tranfers the music to and from the player very fast, even converting mp3 files into atrac files didnt take that long and the quailty of the music wasnt affected.
As for battery life i cant really comment but i have used it for bout 12-15 hrs so far (including an hr or so it transfer my albums over) and the battery has only just dropped from 4 bars to 3 bars on the battery meter, if this stays true then i should get 50 hrs or so outta 1 AAA battery. Compaired to most mp3 players 8-10 hrs using 1AAA battery this is excellent.
Alround this little player is one of the best mp3 players i have tried and i have tried a few.
Ok the newer nwe407 and 507 are out one of which contains a built in fm radio, but with 47 cd worth of music the e99 can store is the extra £40-50 need to buy the 407 or 507 compaired to the e99 really neccessary. In my opinion NO!!!
So verdict IF you want a small player with great storage capacity and easy to use then this is the player you need to buy.
Hope this helps