on 7 February 2015
Works great, although I wasn't aware that it required a 48V phantom power supply, but they only cost £20, so it was no problem buying that too. Really a clear microphone, there's no static what-so-ever.
review image
on 17 September 2012
My first foray into condenser microphones - I've used a few stupidly priced mics in various studios before, but wanted a low cost condenser mic for my home studio.
I'm not disappointed - I read a number of reviews on-line about this mic, which is very much at the low end of the market price wise, before deciding on the AT2020. Everyone seemed to suggest that this is a good microphone to record with.
Well, in comparison to the sound I've got before using a Shure SM57 and SM58, this is noticeably warmer and closer to the "live" sound that's heard from my guitar. Vocals are clear and warm too.
I'm impressed - well done Audio Technica, you've done a good job with this mic.
on 15 April 2014
Only been using this mic for a week, but I'm really happy with it. Crystal clear, solid and great for vocals and acoustic instruments.
This mic is excellent, it doesn't pick up nearly as much background noise as most other mics so it's perfect for voice recording, it's very clear.

The build quality is phenomenal as well, extremely solid and weighted. Whether you're a musician, voice actor or just an audio enthusiast, you need this mic.
on 11 February 2013
I own a small home run studio and have a wide variety of microphones. Saw a review one of these microphones and got curious as a few years back they cost close to £400 per microphone. Every demo I heard sounded like an expensive microphone but of course you never know how much processing was done to the audio. I bit my lip and spent £70ish on one of these mics. On arrival I was shocked but the think alloy mic body, you can feel the quality instantly. I then connected it to my presonus firestudio project and recorded a drum track using it as an over head and added a kick mic. Even in my tiny room it sounded huge, the cymbals had a great quality hi-end shine (not that harsh crunch a lot of cheap mics will give you), the snare cracked and the toms were very prominent. The low end was there but the kick mic was still needed to make it cut through a bit more. I then placed it on an acoustic guitar and recorded that.... flawless. Guitar and bass amps once again flawless. I then tried vocals and would you believe it? Sounded great, it sounds like a much more expensive microphone than it is. If you're starting a home studio or own one already and are thinking of buying one or any other mic costing from £50-£300 save some money and buy this, it'll be your best £70 spent. I now own two and don't even think about recording drums without both of them as overheads. It's also my go-to condenser for guitar amps (paired with an sm57 as my dynamic) I use it very often on bass amps with a DI box and always try it for vocals first and acoustic guitar and it's often the mic I will pick for both those.
on 29 April 2016
I'm a dynamic singer with harsh loud passages and quiet subtle notes as well. Therefore I needed a condenser mic that really allows that type of dynamic to breathe. I believe this mic does that, up to a certain point. The AT2020's biggest selling point is its price. Let's face it, not all of us can afford a Telefunken for 15 grand, or a Neuman U87 for 2 grand. Having used both the U87 and the AT2020, I can say that the 2020 does not capture the level of detail that the U87 can. This is expected given the difference in price. That does not mean that the AT2020 is a bad mic, on the contrary, I would describe it as an honest, competent mic. I use it coupled with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which has its own limitations.

Overall, the Mic does not add colour, warmth or any extras and gives you exactly what you need if you're after an honest, competent mic. Of course you must pair this with a pop filter and a decent mic preamp in the chain could yield a good result. You need to be careful with gain settings and ambient noise as this mic is very sensitive. As a singer it helps if you can focus on diction and presence, even to the point of overdoing it a little in order to make your words clearer.

For me this mic will be used for demos only, which is exactly what I needed it for.

*** I have never received a product at a discount or for free in return for a review. You can trust my unbiased reviews ***
on 10 March 2013
brought this mic to replace my old one it is brilliant great at picking up vocals from a distance perfect for youtube videos podcasts singing allround a superb mic I use it all the time and have not a 1 complaint about it and to prove how good it was I did a review of it on youtube using it the sound quality is perfect great for beginners on a budget or someone looking to go a little more pro would definitely recommend if your in the market for a new mic and the price is great as well
on 28 April 2015
Read a lot of reviews on this product and it well and truly delivered. Amazing for vocals. Don't understand the negative reviews on the about there not being a straight usb connect. You'd lose the quality if it was a straight usb. I've got a behringer mixer with built in phantom power and a behringer usb interface. And even the raw vocal recordings I get from the mic is flawless. No need to shop around like I've done. Easily work a lot more money so an absolute bargain at this price.
on 11 March 2010
This is an excellent microphone, extremely sensitive with accurate representation of both vocals and guitar cabinet sounds. The mic is side address Cardiod Condenser meaning you do need to have phantom power to use this microphone. The only downside i have had with this mic is that there is no form of shielding from popping in the form of a popguard/windshield, so make sure u buy one along with the microphone.

the mount is sturdy with a screw fitting and will comfortably hold the microphone in an inverted position. This microphone is remarkably well built, is weighty and feel solid in hand. Time will tell if it's as sturdy as it feels.
2121 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
At the price this is a well made and superb performing Cardioid Microphone. It does require a Phantom Power Supply so ensure your mixer/device can provide this or you will have to buy a separate power supply. You must also ensure your cables are capable of conducting the phantom power supply as many don't. The only thing I would have liked to have seen at this price would have been a proper plastic case to keep the Mic housed in when not in use. Instead you just get a cardboard box and zip up plastic pouch. A bit naff.