4.0 out of 5 stars Buck - a - roo!
We initially could not get our mule to buck, but found that we were being too gentle when putting the blanket in place and the saddle. A bit of brute force was all we needed! Now our mule bucks at each of the levels and is fun for all.
As a child I used to visit family friends who had Buckaroo; we did not have it at home and I loved it, now my two sons are getting...
Published on 13 Sept. 2007 by K8

2.0 out of 5 stars this version does not buck!
Published on 12 Oct. 2007 by Scottish Lassie

2.0 out of 5 stars this version does not buck!, 12 Oct. 2007
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
this version of buckaroo just doesn't work as well as the old version. this one (or at least my one) does not buck at all unless you cheat, as stated by someone else below. the old version used to buck with hardly any effort at all, which made the game tense and exciting; brilliant. but with this version, even my nineteen month old son (unsteady as he is)can't make the mule buck. arghhhh! no fun at all.

it's a great idea to try and update the product by incorporating levels and it is a far more attractive looking mule, but the whole point of the game is to make it buck, right? my advice would be to try and find an older version. we've not touched our new buckaroo since we bought it and i am now trying to get my hands on an older version...

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
I just think this game is rubbish, I was really looking forward to playing it with my 4yr old son especially when the box said that the mule was even angrier in this new version, what a load of rubbish. It's hard to get the saddle to balance on right for a start and when you put 1 item on the saddle it falls off to that side, the only way we can get the saddle to stay on is to put 2 things on at once, 1 on each side and its even hard to fit all of the items on and even then sometimes it doesn't buck. Please don't waste your money, I certainly wish I hadn't.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't buck won't buck, 1 April 2007
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
I had Buckaroo as a child, and it was always going off. Bought this to play with my daughter and I just can't get it to buck without cheating. There are 3 sensitivity levels, and even on the highest one you need a certain amount of heavy handedness in balancing your item to set him off - where the whole idea is to be delicate. We've had more winners and losers decided by an item falling off when we've run out of space to balance them.

Perhaps we've had the only good tempered mule in history.

1.0 out of 5 stars This should be called FRUSTRATION!!!!, 15 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
This is the second game this year we have bought thinking the kids may have broken the first one. I like many have fond memories of playing with buckaroo as a child, but this is just cheap crap. Stop cutting corners hasbro you idiots and leave a trusted design that works instead of trying to make the most money out of those poor people in factories.

Off to put a hammer this one

1.0 out of 5 stars Bucking Rubbish!, 19 Nov. 2010
J. R. Skelton (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
Like countless other reviewers I have been frustrated by the fact that this updated verion is just not built like the old one. I'm not harking back in a rose tinted way to halcyon days, just infuriated by the fact that this thing is a pain to set and then just doesn't buck without cheating destroying all tenion and fun. My kids were thoroughly bored.

1.0 out of 5 stars just won't buck!, 28 Dec. 2010
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
this buckaroo just will not buck... my two year can manage to get everything on... thats if the saddle would stop falling off time and time again. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone to buy.... not like the one I had as a child.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 25 Dec. 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
Very disappointing. I had this toy as a kid and loved it. Decided to buy it for my kids (and me!) for Xmas but it doesn't even buck.... Unless you use a very heavy hand. We don't have money to waste, but I did with this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars A classic... ruined!, 26 Feb. 2010
D. Garton (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
I had the same bucking problem as many others, and even though I could see this was an issue I still fancied my chances.
My daughter and wife watched me get really frustrated trying to get this working, without success.

I would have been happy to spend a bit more and get decent build quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't upset Roo., 7 Oct. 2011
Puzzle crazy (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
Buckaroo is made by brand leader MB games, so you know that it is going to be a good quality game. The one I have got is the 2003 updated version, which contains a slightly different looking mule to the one pictured above. My mule has quite an angry expression on his face! The basic game is the same as the original though. The idea is to load the mule with various plastic items before he loses his temper and kicks them off. this is a great game for kids, because there is a lot of tension when you load the pieces onto the saddle, and then it really makes you jump when he kicks up.

The game comes with a few main pieces and is simple to set up. the box contains Roo the moody mule, the base, saddle and then lots of plastic pieces to load onto his saddle: shovel, water bottle, pan, lamp, bed roll, rope, dynamite, hat, holster, guitar, rifle box and Instructions. The new version has three difficulty levels, which can be changed by flicking a button on the side of the mule.

You set the game up by slotting the mule into the base, selecting a difficulty level, and then slotting the saddle and blanket onto the mule's back. this is the hardest part, because slotting the saddle in, usually makes the mule kick! Once the saddle is on the mule, play can proceed. The game is designed for 2-4 players aged 4 upwards. Each player takes it in turn to place an item on the saddle, without making Roo kick.

The way we usually play is by elimination. We start on level one and play until someone makes the mule kick. That person is then out, and we start again, this time cranking it up to level 2, then 3, until there is one player left who is the winner. The game will probably keep you amused for 20 minutes, before you get bored and put it back in the box.

The game is a lot of fun, and nobody in out house has got injured playing it, so it can't be as dangerous as my mom thought! Saying that, it is not exactly in constant use. It is in the cupboard most of the time and gets hauled out every couple of months for a quick game, before being put back. I like the tension element of the game, and the bright colourful pieces will appeal to kids.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 7 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
I have fond memories of playing this game when I was a child, (over 30 years ago), so I bought one for my son's fourth birthday. The first one would not 'buck' at all, even when set to 'difficult' so it was exchanged. The replacement is only slightly better. The new mule, according to the box is supposed to be 'moodier'. It looks a bit more colourful but the old version definitely worked better. You shouldn't have to get all the paraphanelia on and give it a poke before it goes off. It ruins the excitement.

Buckaroo