5.0 out of 5 stars Pass me a tissue please
I bought this DVD not because I am a die hard romantic and love slushy sentimentality, but simply because it was selling cheap in a local supermarket. I usually love watching action films and thrillers, so as you can imagine romance is not big on my 'must see films' list. After a rubbish Saturday night TV I decided to pop 'The Notebook' on thinking it would be a pleasant...
Published on 15 Oct. 2006 by Ms. Rj Edwards

1.0 out of 5 stars A groanjerker sadly, rather than tearjerker...
I watched this, as it was a very loved movie for somebody who I work closely with. I'm not at all adverse (in case there are cynics) to an excellent romantic movie, and had hopes this could be something special.

I don't know about the book, as I haven't read it. But as a screen story... sadly, what a disappointment.

I can see why some people have...
Published 7 months ago by B. Orr

‹ Previous | 1 2 386 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The most charming, heartfelt and romantic movie in an age., 5 Nov. 2005
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
This movie is one of the most captivating, romantic and simply heart wrenching peices of film I've seen in a long time. From a flawless story line to a phenomenal cast, this movie is sure you have you laughing, crying and begging for mercy by the final scene.
It starts of with a charming summer romance between two teenagers experiencing true love for the first time. In true romantic form a twist of fate tears them apart ending their innocent, beautiful and passionate romance.
The movies goes on and tells their story of how they meet again once their lives have moved on.
It isn't big budget. It isn't sci-fi or high tech. It's a timeless romance that leaves you in tears and hope that there is some faith to be had in true love.
The actors are unbelievably talented and draw you in to their character right away. You become engrossed with their story and intrigued with what will happen next.
I haven't cried like that in a long time, and I don't cry very often. This movie represents love in its most simple, charming and true form and for me it will always be a cherished watch in my collection.
"I believe our love can let us do anything we want."

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FILM EVER!, 18 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
Oh my god, i got brought this for christmas of my boyfriend and have only just found time to watch it, now its finished im left with big puffy eyes! This film is the most romantic lovely gorgeous film i have EVER watched! Ok it is a little predictable, but so what!? This film is about REAL LOVE and it just is...really breath taking! i can not belive i havent seen this film up untill now. After the film had finished, i was still in floods of tears and i think my boyfriend thought i was a bit nutty, but still , it is a real tear jerker! So be warned. Its a warm fuzzy film which once youve watched it you will just want to hug your partner and never let go, seriously! i think EVERYBODY should watch this film ,even if you arnt really into 'chick flicks'.

This is now my new best film!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent made me cry!!!, 3 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
i watched this film a while bk after buying it on dvd having heard such good feedback about it, and aww this film is such a good love story- it must have been the first film that really made me cry!!!! so great for a girlie night in or on your on, not recommended with bfs dont think theyll enjoy it, but def for us girlies. though its really sad. the setting is in the olden days :P but even us young ladies love it. its emotional, and just so romantic!!! i love it and beacuse of this i bought the book. so for me i didnt have to read the book to understand this film, i just bought the book as i loved the film!!! but definitely worth a watch!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly emotional!, 20 Feb. 2007
Ms. Monique Philpott "moniquephilpott" (Tibenham, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
Goodness gracious, this is a beautiful film. The acting is superb - after seeing Rachel Mcadams in Meangirls I thought that was all she was capable of, but this film is so tear jerking and it really is an emotional rollercoaster! Yes, it's a typical love story but it leaves you thinking so much, about life and it's twists and turns, and what is meant to be and what isn't. I don't have to describe it's plot because it is obvious, but don't let that put you off. I had a frog in my throat, i was just in tears during the whole thing - it is a must see romantic and touching masterpiece!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 21 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
Words cannot describe how much i am now in love with this film! I took it over to my boyfriends house and immediately faced the "I am not sitting through some chick flick, soppy love story" line. But after just 15 minutes he loved it, and when it started to skip, he jumped into the car and went straight to the video store to rent another one!
I am not ashamed to say that i cried my eyes out, and even my boyfriend had a tear in his eye.
A very well made film, with supurb acting and a beautiful story line. A must see!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true love story, 11 Jun. 2007
J. SCARROTT "me" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
After being recommended this by several friends, I was really keen to see it and I was definitely not disappointed. The plot although predictable in places was sweet and the two leads were fantastic; they are really good together so maybe thats why they are dating in real life!!I particularly enjoyed the fairground scene at the beginning,it was very funny !! All in all, if you are looking for a sweet romantic film for a girly night in(men may like it too!!),then this would be an excellent choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful film, 22 Sept. 2008
Mrs "I love books in any format, paper, audio... (Coalville, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
This film has the rare quality that it stays with you for days after you've watched it, you find your mind going back to the simple but romantic story and the stunning performances by Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdam.

I'm not ashamed to admit it makes my cry every time I watch it!

Can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cry me a River!!, 5 Sept. 2006
Mrs. C. Seago "Christine Seago" (Northants, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the most romantic films that I have ever seen and I ended up sobbing un-controllably at the end!!! It is a film that can be watched again, so when I decided to, I started to cry at the beginning credits as I remembered how it pulled my heart strings the first time!!!

The love of Noah and Allie is so strong and the actors are amazing at potraying their love.

If you are a big ol softy then watch this film but belive me, keep those tissues handy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most amazing film I have ever seen., 6 Mar. 2007
Emma Taylor (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
I just think that this film is the most honest account of true love/soulmates I have ever seen. The acting is stunning and you really feel for the characters. It really moved me and I cant get it out of my head! I am a huge fan of extreme horror and dont reall watch slushy films t this film has left a huge impact. Simply stunning. I wanted to be Rachel Mcadams's character and fall in love with my fiance all over again!

1.0 out of 5 stars A groanjerker sadly, rather than tearjerker..., 15 Sept. 2014
B. Orr "flycreeper" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)

I can see why some people have gone slushy and gooey over this, as it plays all too easily to the fantasy, sentimental notions we might secretly have deep down about relationships. If a film is honest about having these traits in itself, that's fine. But I didn't feel that honesty here.

Aside from some nice cinematography, there's little else to recommend. The characters are tired, worn through clichés; the general plot resembles something out of a 14 year old's story for an English class; historical period accuracy, considering this is a story across generations, is seriously questionable. And as for the ending... well, the words "implausible" and "corny" shot to mind all to easily.

I remember thinking that there was more realistic chemistry in 5 minutes of romantic scenes between the male and female leads in "28 Days Later". And yes, that was a horror film, of all genres.

More a sorry TV movie than anything else. I think there's great romantic pictures out there - save your time and money for movies like "Casablanca" "Lost in Translation" or "Atonement": movies that at least try and say something thought provoking about how romances actually may progress over time, and the impact they can have emotionally on a person's soul.

If people feel this is an unromantic review, so be it. But compared to the best movies about romance, and the best true life relationships (and what they're built on) this movie... is very much searching for its soul. And failing I'm afraid.

‹ Previous | 1 2 386 | Next ›

The Notebook [DVD]
The Notebook [DVD] by Nick Cassavetes (DVD - 2005)