5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Boy
Published on 17 Nov 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Migrating In the Wrong Direction?
Published on 17 Aug 2007 by Music Man

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Migrating In the Wrong Direction?, 17 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
Having waited in anticipation for an age to get their follow up to "All Is Dream", I have to say that I was disappointed. As much as I wanted to get into this, I found it harder and ultimately more uncomfortable every time I played it. I had to admit to myself that the great soundscape of the previous two CDs did not come across in the same mysterious and beautiful way.

This was almost Mercury Rev by numbers. The sound was still distinctive, and at times they managed to soar with some quality, but it didn't flow.

For me the opening kills it, the first 5 tracks I find not very strong, either from a quirky interest or musical standard. It pains me to say it, but that is my opinion. Having failed to entice me into their normally entrancing world, I just started to look for individual tracks that I hoped would save the day. I have never done this before as Mercury Rev usually manage to take you on a journey whereby the whole of the album seems almost seamless.

It does get better, from my point of view, when we reach "In The Wilderness", from here on in the feel of the CD improves. However, again, unlike the previous two CDs, this is not one where I close my eyes and drift away in rapturous bliss.

It may be a case of you can't win them all, or that it is getting harder to re-produce original material of the quality of previous offerings.

At the amazon price you can now buy it for as opposed to what it cost on its original release, its still worth buying. However, don't expect the same dazzling results.

Their next CD I wait for with a mixed feeling of expectant anticipation and dread. I just hope I haven't already heard the best that they can offer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Boy, 17 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
Thanks to a weird twist of fate that is both too long to go into and pointless for the task at hand I have managed to get hold of a promo copy of "The Secret Migration" and what a lucky boy I am. Being a long time fan of Mercury Rev I jumped for joy when the said CD was placed in my hands and before I knew it I was skipping home with the intention of putting this baby on as soon as that front door slammed shut.
Well, on went the Cd and "Secret for a Song", the first single, rose from the speakers and I knew from than point I was in for a treat and I wasnt wrong. This is not an album for people who want to put on an album and be immediately humming along to some catchy ditty, as it has taken me more than several listens to really get to grips with what it has to offer. And, I hear you ask, what does it have to offer? Well I would say some of the finest work they have done to date with "In The Wilderness" and "The Climbing Rose" being utterly outstanding. Whether it will ever overtake "deserters songs" as my favourite mercury rev album I dont know but it has certainly lept over "I am dream". I would urge anyone who has enjoyed previous outings to leap off your sofas and get this album the second it comes out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly mixed bag of magic, 21 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
Upon the first few listens, it is hard not to be put off by the increasingly flowery nature of Mercury Rev's ageing process. The music matches the content of the album, somewhere on the borderline between self-obsession and experimentation. Of course, as with previous releases, there are periods of beauty, reminiscent of late era Beach Boys and some of the more pleasant late 70's prog records. Its all a far cry from 'Boces' and 'See you on the other side' which now seems very relevant, as those periods of raw invention are sorely missed.
That said, there are signs that this release is a grower and worth a listen, though 'All is Dream' covers everything here in stronger fashion. Existing fans, particularly of their early work will find this a struggle. Sadly the adult contemporary category seems closer by the song. So no real progress, hopefully a pretty stop on the way to the standards expected of Mercury Rev.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year(s)!?, 12 Aug 2006
Thomas A. Johnson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
This is good, very good...

A freind I know who works within the record industry gave me a copy of this album in Jan '05 (the limited edition, nice!) and at first I thought "hmmm this albums ok" and filed it away in my collection for a few months.

I then saw Mercury Rev support The Cure in the summer of the same year and their performance was mesmerising, they were without doubt one of the best live bands I had ever seen with Jonathan Donahue one of the most enigmatic frontmen.

From then on I played this album more and more and it just got better with each listen, to the point where I rate this album as one of my 10 'desert island discs'.

The album is thing of rare beauty both musically and lyrically, its absolutely magical and I dare say there will never be anything made like this again. For me if represents Mercury Rev at the pinnacle of their creativity and it completes a fantastic Trilogy of albums. 'Deserters Songs' was very good, 'All Is Dream' even better but words cannot do justice to how good this album is. In a sane world it would be heralded as an all time classic but I prefer the fact that not many have cottoned-on to the fact Mercury Rev are one of the best, certianly one of the most dynamic bands of our generation.

So forget 'Sgt Peppers', 'The White Album' etc guys...you're looking in the wrong places! Mercury Rev and the Secret Migration, THIS is a real classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars oh come on, 28 May 2012
Oostrijck (Rotterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
Oh come on, this album is beautiful and not less good than their previous records. A lot better than their early records. For me this band got interesting when they released Deserter`s song, followed by the equally great All is dream and then this great record.

5.0 out of 5 stars secret migration, 7 April 2008
Liane Adam "fairy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
amazing! I love it - my favourite Mercury Rev. Track 5 is so beautiful. Buy it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical mtstery tour, 9 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
This album is a stunning follow up by the weird and wonderful New York band. While I agree with many of the press that the Rev have gone down a more commercial route with this album, they have produced their best work yet. Where both 'Deserters Songs' and 'All is a Dream' were great albums in their own right, they were sometimes patchy but 'The Secret Migration' is a constant joy. There is not one song on this album that is not a wonder. This is a meloncholy, haunting and often beautiful album and my only complaint is that 'Down Poured the Heavens' does not go on longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars An album of pomp and grandeur., 9 Jan 2006
J. W. Bassett (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
In a natural extension of 2001’s All Is Dream, Mercury Rev’s sixth album is one of pomp and grandeur. Across Yer Ocean’s soaring melody is an early indication of what follows, as are the lilting pianos and rolling bass lines of Secret For A Song. Elsewhere, the fragile opening piano line of Vermillion is supplanted by an intense orchestral blast.
Jonathan Donahue’s enchanting vocals, which paint an almost perfect collection of idyllic fantasias, are the focal point, but guitarist Grasshopper’s exquisite solo on Black Forest (Lorelei) harks back to the presence he had on the best moments of Deserter’s Songs.
Perhaps aware that the whole thing could easily have slipped into the realm of bombast and ostentation, the band allow the album to drift slightly, with two bewitching instrumental works, Move On and Down Poured The Heavens, before offering one final push of uplifting energy with Arise.
Unfairly ignored upon its January 2005 release, only the most churlish would dismiss this unashamedly romantic and achingly beautiful album as cheap sentiment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Treading Water, 24 July 2008
M. Marshall - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
There's nothing seriously wrong with this album - but there's nothing seriously right with it either. None of the songs are poor but none of them are great. In short, it sounds like a stop-gap album, something for the fans to listen to whilst the band are making their next proper album. It's been a hell of a gap though. Still, maybe that means they're trying really hard which, I suspect, they weren't doing for this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, 10 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Secret Migration (Audio CD)
This is by far my favourite MR album. It might not have the stand out tracks of All Is Dream and Deserters Songs, but the whole thing is magical. Brilliant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Secret Migration
The Secret Migration by Mercury Rev (Audio CD - 2005)