5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the early 80s when this was big
For me, this was one of the best toys ever invented. The concept is very simple, but the combinations run into the zillions, which means that you can't solve it by chance.

Published on 26 May 2007 by Crazy Andy

1.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, but rubbish quality. Not worth the 10 pounds
I have had several non-original Rubik's Cube over the years. Decided to buy an "original" Rubik's Cube as a Christmas treat. Wish I didn't waste my money. The quality is horrid. The stickers are peeling off after 2 days of careful use, and the whole thing is starting to feel loose. Total rip-off for the price.
Published on 28 Dec 2008 by J. TING

1.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, but rubbish quality. Not worth the 10 pounds, 28 Dec 2008
J. TING "JT" (UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Domire Concave Type Three Order Rubik's Cube Six Color Rubik's Cube (Toy)

1.0 out of 5 stars The Rubik's cube are not as good as the 80's models, 31 Aug 2008
Mr. A. R. Lyon "A R Lyon" (Barrhead) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
I first got a Rubik's cube when they came out in the early 80's and absolutely loved it. I used the first one so much that I had to buy a replacement within a couple of years. The action for these cubes was fantastic. 'Clicky' 'tight' but so easy and smooth to turn. Even though I could eventually solve the puzzle in a couple of minutes, I've never tired of it.

I was really pleased when they started to produce the cube again and was keen to buy a new one. I bought a new cube and was dismayed to find that the action and build quality was terrible. I actually dug out my remaining original cube to try and see what the difference could be and saw that the original design had little areas where the inner surfaces had open pockets or gaps. I think this was what helped to reduce the drag when turning the faces.

I ended up exchanging several e-mails with the main 'Rubik's Cube' website and after trying to say that their product was as good as the original, they eventually admitted that their new cube was different. They said that they had stopped leaving these little gaps/pockets due to the risk of small children sticking their fingers in and thereafter being hurt. I personally think that this is utter nonsense.

Anyway, I ended up checking out cubes on ebay and managed to get an original 80's cube in mint condition for under ten pounds. When it arrived, it really was like being introduced to an old friend. 'Tight' 'Clicky' but smooth as silk. A total contrast to the terrible ones that are being sold as the official cube.

I've actually just ordered another 'Rubik's Cube' from another site which says that they get their cubes from a factory in Hungary which is still under the control of the inventor Mr. Erno Rubik. I am very hopeful that it will be as good as his original cube was.

Andrew Lyon

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the early 80s when this was big, 26 May 2007

However, one can have fun working out how to solve it, then once you've done that, impress your mates by applying the same principles over and over again. There isn't that much to remember once you know how.

The main problem is in the mechanism and the stickers. These things don't last forever, and can start falling about once they've been played with quite a lot. Also, I have experienced the paint fading on some of the stickers. So it could be much more durable than it is.

However, this is definitely one of my all time favourite toys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, bad quality, 12 Mar 2006
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I love the cube, but the one I purchased lasted all of 2 days. The stickers (especially the green ones) started coming off. I have had to paint them once the stickers came of. The cube it self is of good quality, I just dont understand why they had to use stickers instead of having the colors painted onto the cube.

1.0 out of 5 stars Check what you're getting, 7 Aug 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you order this from 'Fun Collectables' then you may receive a mediocre quality Chinese-made cube as I did and not the Hungarian-made cube clearly pictured.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy a Rubik's cube from Rubik's, 8 Mar 2008
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
First of all may i say that I'm pretty good at this toy.. averaging 30 second solves. Therefore i am obviously an advocate of it and think it is extremely fun, challenging in a positive way, and educational as a mathematical (logic) puzzle.
However, I have not rated this product as highly as i would have liked because this particular branded cube is not particularly great.
OK fair enough for a total beginner just wanting to learn the basics or as a gift etc etc (basically not as a serious buy) it is an far product... does the job. In fact this was my first Rubik's cube, as I am sure is true for most people.

The build quality of Rubik's Rubik's cube is shoddy. As many other reviewers have stated, the stickers peel off easily with use. They are double layered, with a sort of cling film type sticker over each colour, however this just served to annoy me as i had a whole cube of stickers with half peeled off see through stickers, then as it deteriorated further the actual coloured stickers peeled off.
The actual cube structure is basic therefore the cube does not spin nicely. I am yet to encounter a cube of this sort which can maximise solve times. Mine was poor despite proper lubrication methods. If you are already good at solving, or plan to get good, you should buy a cube from one of the many website which sell DIY cube kits which have much better build quality and sticker quality.

Overall i love the Rubik's Cube, not this actual product however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, good build quality, 18 Jun 2010
This cube has a very good build quality. It feels solid while at the same time allowing smooth movements. The smaller sub cubes are rounded which makes them easier to rotate.
I can't say if the coloured stickers are durable or not because I haven't used the cube for a long time up to now.
In contrast to others cubes (which block rather often and are therefore not so much fun) I can recommend this one here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Original 80's Cube, 9 Feb 2009
S. Clark (UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased this as I enjoyed the cube as a child and decided it would be good to see how long it takes me now to figure it out! Unfortunately as other reviews have previously stated its design is not as good. I found it's structure not as tight and you have to straighten up the faces when changing direction, if you think those that had mastered the Art just spun the sides back and forth to complete the cube in some record time! Now they would spend more time straightening it to be able to change direction than actually working it out. Great product in all other ways, just poor design to the traditional one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still fun, 19 Feb 2008
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I remember when these first came out. I was the one kid at school who could do it! Once it was mastered I spent years on and off just playing with it, doing patterns half completing it, basically just playing with it.

Eventually after over twenty years of play time took it's toll and it just wouldn't turn soothly anymore and one of these arrived for father's day.

It is exactly the same size as the original cubes, it has the same colours as the original cubes, it still has stickers on the sides and the stickers still slide when you turn the cube fast...It is almost exactly how I remember it but it is much harder to turn and square up than my old cube is. Now I'm not sure if this is because it is new, or whether it is genuinely harder to turn, but I don't remember it being this hard to twist when I was ten years old. My kids also enjoy playing with it, although they do "hand it back" when it needs putting back to order.

I have played with one for over twenty years, I love it. If you cannot complete it there are now whole areas of the internet dedicated to the Rubik's cube - and computers have now been used to prove that it can be completed in less than 24 twists (although I hasten to add not by me as my fingers are now stiffer than they used to be and it takes me about 2 minutes to do). Give it a go, but DON'T give up, work it out even if you have to go online...it's fun and therautic eventually.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth, great cube, 8 July 2010
Mrs. Z. E. Rhodes "Zo" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Was recommended that these cubes were best as they are still made in Hungary (like the originals). Very smooth and nice cube to use. My only quibble is that there was no box included as pictured (would have been nice as it was a gift) and where it is packaged with the stand over one corner of the cube, this leaves indented lines on some of the stickers - guess this is a manufacturing/packaging fault.

Original Rubik's Cube