5.0 out of 5 stars house that jack built game
bought for my 3 1/2 year old son, but we play as a family. Really good fun and easy to understand so that he could play with his friends without an adult. Children have to learn to take turns and no real skillinvolved just luck of the dice. As they dice is coloured it is easy to understand and the pieces of the house are coloured to match the dice. Good fun!
Published on 5 Feb. 2009 by Mrs. S. M. Codd

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for price but flimsy my 3yr old luvs it ...
Good for price but flimsy my 3yr old luvs it but the cards broke. Think would be a fab idea to make it wooden then it will last forever as i had to remove from toy cupboard cos of lil one. Would pay more as had when i was a kid n had hours of enjoyment out of it n thought mine would too.
Published 6 months ago by lisa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars house that jack built game, 5 Feb. 2009
Mrs. S. M. Codd (Germany) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like I remembered, 6 May 2010
Mr. Andrew F. Barclay "Nytrydr" (Perth, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
I have been looking for this game everywhere, and it was so simple, I often thought about making my own version when I had kids, as my own well loved copy got lost somewhere (when my parent's ripped up their carpets to get slate flooring they found a green window piece from it, and it was easily recognisable). But my clever mum fpound it on Amazon and had it delivered to my Aunt's house to bring when she fcame for my sister's wedding (because Amazon won't deliver to Australia, slackers!! HINT HINT Amazon!) This game was iconic where and when I was growing up (Scotland in the mid 70's) but when we moved to australia, nobody had heard of it (and it was getting too easy by then, until my sister was born, and we could play together). It is simple, bright, colourful and great fun. Just roll the dice and get the coresponding house part and put the bits togethere.1-2-3! Sometimes, getting my 3yo son and his 2yo cousin to tkae turns is tricky, but a 3yo can usually understand that the 2yo is just excited to play with the dice and the pieces. Only drawback is that to finish the game you are often left waiting for one colour (lets face it, it's usually the black chimney piece you need) and the kids can lose interest a bit if both have lots of rolls and black doesn't come up! It was as much fun for me to play as it was for them, purely because of the immense nostalgia and fondness I have for the game. Don't recall the old version having garage doors though. Houses in the UK must have changed since, but the old version was amost a picture perfect representation of the house we lived in in Stirling!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun., 17 Feb. 2010
K. Sampson (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
I bought this for my 3 year old Daughter hoping we'd have great fun just like my Brother and I did back in the 70's!!!!! It hasn't changed at all. Great for colours, taking turns and it doesn't matter if you come second!! Great family fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 9 Jan. 2010
K. L. Cochran - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
My children loved this game and now my grandchildren can too. Competitive and great fun - all that is needed is colour recognition.

5.0 out of 5 stars House that Jack Built game, 25 Feb. 2011
A. Torode - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
Great little game, my son is 3 years old and will soon be 4 and I childmind so we enjoy playing this game together with the 3 year olds that I mind.

It is easy for them to understand and play.

We've played this game alot and it is still as good as new but like all cardboard games make sure small children don't put it into their mouths.

The only problem I have had is that some windows/doors don't fit exactly into the hole of the house you have, you need the window that came out to fit back in, but this is just being picky and not a real problem, just make sure you make the houses as you put them away and separate and lay them out in front of each child when you next play. It is always wise to build puzzles and games as you put them away to ensure you have all the pieces anyway.

If you want to vary the game you can always use a numbered dice (not included) instead of the coloured one and give different items numbers as the child develops. Let the toy grow with the child.

4.0 out of 5 stars A board game that a 2 year old will enjoy, 25 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
It is not easy to develop a board game that a 2 year old can participate in. And this is a rare example of a game that works. My two year old asks to play it, with some simplification to the rules. Reinforces colour recognition, dexterity and house parts. Only downside is that the pieces are not durable enough for a two year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for the whole family, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
I remember playing this as a child and wondered if I was buying it purely out of nostalgia for a time when children's toys were that little bit more straightforward. To my relief, however, both my son (5 3/4) and my daughter (2) love it. It's a simple game based on throwing a coloured dice to earn the right to build your house e.g. red = roof, yellow = door. It's one step up from the most simplest of this type of game as the fact that you need to throw a white to begin (and put your house on) involves a bit more waiting and patience. Good for teaching my daughter her colours... and teaching my son that you can't always win!

5.0 out of 5 stars The House that Jack Built, 12 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
I bought this game for my 3 year old grandaughter as part of her Christmas presents. What I like is that adults and children can enjoy playing this game together. This game (and others like it) teach many skills; learning to take turns, colour recognition and playing as part of a team. Before I buy anything I always read the reviews which I find immensely useful before deciding to purchase the item. I love that we can as a family enjoy playing the game - it makes a refreshing change from the constant impact of tv and electronic games that are such a big part of modern family life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun, nice pace, 8 Feb. 2011
M. Mcginn (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
Our 3 year old loves this and it is great to have a board game that we can all play together. The die with only colours on it is a fantastic idea. What's great about this game is that it moves nice and quickly so no time for kiddie impatience to set in. By the time you have found the piece you've earned and fitted it into your house, it's your turn again! This game and the peppa pig oversized snakes and ladders are our son's favourite games to play.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family fun, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
This is a great game to play with children of different ages as it only requires colour recognition to join in. The concept is simple but engaging for young children and everyone has an equal chance of winning. The only downside is that one bit of the 'house' piece is a bit flimsy and liable to break off, although this doesn't affect the playability of the game.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›