‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Now, more than ever.., 3 Jan. 2005
an ordinary bloke (West Sussex - United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holy Bible 10th Anniversary Edition [2CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I'm not going to waste time waxing lyrical about this album, it's content, how each track affects me etc.. because that would only apply to me, and not you. What I will say is this.. 10 years ago when this album was released I decided not to buy it based on the reviews at the time which suggested it was too harsh, too out there, too tuneless, too loud, too everything. Given that I'd loved the sound of Motorcycle Emptiness I assumed that I just wouldn't get on with this album. All of this, combined with a lack of free cash meant that I didn't get it.
Now, a decade further on and I have more free cash, this album is purchased and I have to say.. it's essential. It's been in the car for a fortnight now, constantly on the MP3 player and is being played to death and back.
The Holy Bible could well be an antidote to the manufactured pap that we are bombarded with at this time... pop idol, fame academy, x factor etc. it's THAT important. It isn't an easy album, but it's much preferable to the bile that we are being subjected to right now. We should take our hats off to whomever is responsible for this reissue (whatever the motives).. this album reminds us of how far the music industry has fallen.
This album demands your attention, it grabs you, it hurts you, it screams at you and makes you think, it drags you back to a time when you really felt that your views would count and could make a difference. Maybe that's stupid, maybe we're all just playing the game, but if this album insists that you take just some small piece of integrity into your life once again, then The Holy Bible has served it's purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some sort of power, 4 Mar. 2006
This album is fantastic.
As for the re-released 10 year addition, i think it is a very well put together package. Aesthetically the 10 year anniversary album is impressive. The liner notes, with a small essay written on the historical aspect of the album, is interesting, and leaves one with a sense of the power that the album has. The notes also pointed me in the direction of Pinter's "No man's land", which was nice!
I was excited by the extras that came with this edition. I found the live tracks to be just awesome; a real insight the band's power as a live act at the time.
It has been noted that this album was released close to "lifeblood", the bands latest studio album, and so making the band painfully susceptible to comparisons with their selves today, and their past glory. All i can say is, the band burned bright here, they were awesome in their attitude, their presentation and their music- no band could ever sustain this sort of form for any period of time. It must have taken sheer nerve to carry this album off, and the reissue of it demonstrates just how much gusto the band did have.
Of course they changed, and arguably never reproduced the what they did here, but their brilliance is preserved in an excellent cd package, and all the little extras like the DVD footage makes for an inspiring look at a band who gave pretty much all they had, and did suffer for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album ever just got better!!, 7 Dec. 2004
What can I say? If you'r a fan of the Hole Bible you must buy this! It's packed full of live tracks, rare demos, live footage and videos from The Holy Bible era. The American release of the album makes interesting listening. Seeing just how it differs from the original version. Plus listening to demos that aren't dodgy un-listenable bootlegs is great!
The real gem for me was the DVD. It's packed full of great live footage and TV appearances. Including the infamous top of the pop's Faster appearance. Plus loads of extra videos.
Not only are you getting one of the most lyrically powerful and musically brilliant albums ever, but you're getting so much extra rare footage and audio tracks.
A must for any Manics fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic., 7 Sept. 2006
Ted Maul "Ted Maul" (Cowsick) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Holy Bible,originally released in 1994,was the Manic's third album,and remains their one genuine claim to greatness.In fact it now stands as one of the very best albums of the 90s,standing with the likes of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless or Spiritualized's Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space.This tenth anniversary reissue contains demos,radio sessions and a US mix of the album along with a demo with videos,live performances and a sadly brief (30 minutes or so)interview with the band.Contrary to what one of the previous reviewers says,the differences in sound between the original and US mixes of the album are considerable,with some of the more scratchy post-punk-y sounding tracks made to sound more stadium-friendly.Revol and Yes in particular benefit from the mix by Tom Hidalge.The DVD contains some excellent performances that prove the Manics were at the top of their game in live terms as well as in the studio.Listening back to this album now,it becomes clear that it is in fact near flawless-the weaker tracks (She Is Suffering,Revol)sound very good now,particularly when compared to some of the songs on Lifeblood or Know Your Enemy (and I like those albums,actually).Plus few other rock albums can compare lyrically.all together now:Mussolini hangs from a butcher's hook...

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Classic, 17 Jan. 2005
Greg Farefield-Rose (Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
One of the best albums of the 90s has become even more essential. The 10th Anniversary Edition of The Holy Bible comes in three discs with extras galore.
The original album superbly matches metallic art-punk with horrific yet compulsive lyrics. Musically, it is quite a departure for a band whose other albums have more of an anthemic rock element - the influences here are strictly arty (post) punk with James Dean Bradfield on superb form on vocals and guitar. The first 60% of the album is pretty near musically perfect with just a couple of not-quite-so-brilliant songs later on.
The Holy Bible has of course passed into mythical folklore with the disappearance of chief lyricist Richey James a few months after the album's release. Was the LP his extended suicide note? The words are often absolutely horrific and nihilistic yet also compulsive when they do connect. The (self) disgust of the repeated "Who's responsible. You f-king are." At the end of Of Walking Abortion is brilliant as are the more beautiful (yet still horrific) images of 4st 7lb "I want to walk in the snow and not soil its purity". Even a song whose words I don't agree with such as the pro-capital punishment Archives Of Pain is effective - "Give them the respect they deserve".
The real brilliance of The Holy Bible is how superbly the songs, playing and music match the intensity of the lyrics. The audio extras on the 10th Anniversary Edition include a whole US mix of the album (which the band prefer to the original), radio sessions and live versions of Holy Bible tracks recorded in 1994. Even better, the third disc is a DVD including TV and live appearances at the time and a new interview with the band.
Since I stopped the ridiculous practice of awarding quarter stars in my reviews (on my website), I've been trying to award five stars for albums and films when it's deserved. It is this time - a brilliant album with extras galore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, Groovy Mighty Fine (Tipper Gore was a Friend of Mine), 21 Oct. 2012
The Manics are such a unique band. You have two lyricists, the politically driven Nicky Wire, and of course, the '4 Real' late Richie Edwards, who was trapped in a world of depression, alcoholism, despair, anorexia and self mutilation, and disappeared without a trace shortly after it's release.

Which is why The Holy Bible feels like such an uncomfortable, but extremely imperative listen. Musically and lyrically, it's nothing short of extraordinary and masterful, without a single duff track in sight. The guitars and drums, and some of the vocals, feels like a protest march.

This is an album like no other, and easily the Manics at their pinnacle of brilliance, mainly due to the fact that lead vocalist James Dean Bradfield sings the lyrics with such a crisp, smooth voice that could almost resemble Crowded House, that it just sounds so odd hearing him sing such words as 'I hurt myself to get pain out', and 'I want to walk in the snow, and not leave a footprint', and 'I wanna die in the summertime', 'We all all of walking abortions', which would become epitaphs of Richie Edwards suicide note.

Obviously, comparisons to Nirvana's equally excellent 'In Utero' are bound to crop up (what is even more odd is that The Holy Bible came out a year after), but unlike In Utero, which was a very personal album by Kurt Cobain, you could hear his anguish in his voice, but with The Holy Bible, it's like getting a well spoken good friend reading someones suicide note at a funeral over the phone (not that Bradfield's voice is phoned in, far from it, but his vocal style is about as far removed from the darkness of the lyrics as you could possibly imagine).

Although there are exceptions, of course, such as the beautiful 'This is Yesterday', and 'She is Suffering', but the very best has to be the fantastic 'Faster', in which JDB yells at the top of his lungs 'I AM AN ARCHITECT!! THEY CALL ME A BUTCHER!!', with so much confidence that it just blows you off your chair.

Odd, brilliant, unique, addictive, 'perverted' and highly recommended, all those MOR britpop Oasis fans who discovered them on the following radio friendly and well produced stadium album 'Everything Must Go', would be scratching their heads in shock if their curiosity arose and they decided to give it a listen.

Which, of course, is a good thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Holy Bible: 10th Anniversary Edition, 10 Feb. 2010
Disc One contains The Holy Bible digitally remastered plus 4 live tracks.
Disc Two has the US Mix of the holy bible as well as 2 demos and 3 Radio 1 Sessions.
Disc Three, a DVD is loaded with clips when the band came on Top Of The Pops and other similar shows such as MTV Most Wanted, some of their performances at the Glastonbury Festival in 1994, Music Clips, and a 30min band interview.

You get great value if you purchase this from Amazon. I purchased it for around $20AUD, and at the shops it was going for 45 Aussie Dollars. Get this from Amazon, it really is a great deal...sorry to repeat myself.

One of the most depressing rock albums ever released. Still interested? You should be. Despite being a great downer, watching the band interview the band says that they had a lot of fun making it.

I first time I heard/saw of MSP when they released Everything Must Go. When i heard the single 'A Design For Life' i was hooked.

However, when i started to collect their back catalog i wasn't impressed. I really didn't like their first two albums. To me, their first classic album was "The Holy Bible". It was like nothing else in the music scene. They had a theme and a look that stood out from the hole Britpop during the 90's. It was a complete opposite. They had no "Live Forever" or "Country House" - they had "Archives Of Pain", "Die In The Summertime".

For the last time the band was a four piece. A year or so later Richey James, their designer/lyricist vanished. But thats another story.

If you already have the album should you get this release? Even if just alone for the Us Mix and the DVD. Everyone has their own preferance for the US Mix, but i love it. The US Mix reflecs the Grunge sound that was popular at the time, but even more raw with a great guitar sound. They sound like a band with balls. Hearing the guitar riffs makes you stand up and play your air guitar. Some people hate it, or at least don't think much of it ..... that's cool. Afterall, it's not how you remember them when you first heared the album, it doesn't take you back to 1994.

Anyway....it's a fantastic set with all the bells and whistles and it's great value.

Norbert

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't do what I did!, 15 Oct. 2010
If, like me it has taken you longer than it should to buy this expaded edition of The Holy Bible then may I suggest you shell out for it now?

It has been many years since I heard this near perfect effort from The Manics and after seeing them live a week ago I felt the need to begin the fantastic exploration of these expanded albums.

Now I have The Holy Bible again I am going to be ordering the other re-issues. And for less than a tenner how could anyone argue these are not perhaps the best value for money one could wish for?

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning album., 10 July 2009
Just received this in the post. I have to say I am delighted with it. I discovered this album quite late. Well, at least five years too late.
Since hearing it on an old cassette in Thailand, I have never bored of it. Even a little. I knew some Manics stuff before but this album blew me away.
Maybe I am mistaken, but I haven't noticed any reviews on here mentioning the beautiful packaging. I wasn't expecting this at all.
Anyway, the music is much more important and what music it is. From Yes to PCP this is an album that sounds like no other. Obviously I do not know every album out there, but that's how it sounds to me.
As the notes say inside, the music depicts humanity in unfliching and frequently hopeless terms yet at the same time can feel so heartening. This depends on your taste and I know some people find it to abrasive and harsh but Faster certainly puts a spring in my step everytime I listen to it.
Anyway, I can't comment on the extra tracks yet as I haven't got that far (only at 4st 7lb so far) but the main issue for me is the original album. I have seen the DVD before and I found it entertaining. They are miming on Top of The Pops (except James' vocals) but I can only wonder what the audience made of the spectacle.

Anyway, favourite tracks:
1. Faster
2. Yes
3. Ifwhiteamerica...
4. Die in The Summertime
5. PCP

The only track I think lets the set down is Revol. I still like it, but I find it doesn't say enough (maybe I just don't get it).

I know I'm gushing a tad, sorry.

Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Holy Grail..., 31 Dec. 2004
The Manics may have evolved into the Shania Twain fans' rock group in recent years but their lyrical content remains unsurpassed by any other British band. The greatness of The Holy Bible is so because they mix their best lyrics with their most focused, angry, snarling music - Generation Terrorists was lyrically a great album but it was let down by the metal-lite music whereas The Holy Bible is perfectly weaved together by ALL the band (remember it is and was James and Sean writing ALL the music). Richey's lyrics are brutal, transporting the listener into many realms of the human pysche we choose to ignore - prostitution, serial killers' victims, anorexia - their is no let up in the intensity other than the brooding This Is Yesterday, which is Nicky's lyric. Personally, my favourite tracks are Archives of Pain (complete with rock out solo), 4st 7lbs and PCP although their is no track I ever skip. The DVD is a treat, with live performances from festivals, TOTP and Butt Naked (remember that show!?) and the much maligned/talked about American mix of the album is listenable even to a Holy Bible veteran like me. Their definitive work + DVD + extra CD - bargain.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Holy Bible 10th Anniversary Edition [2CD + DVD]
The Holy Bible 10th Anniversary Edition [2CD + DVD] by Manic Street Preachers (Audio CD - 2004)