1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars My, how comedy has changed. better? worse? suck it and see., 31 Dec 2008
R. A. Caton "Arcaton" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Classic TV Comedy [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I bought this set for two reasons....the extremely low price and idle curiosity as to how funny "Uncle Milty" Berle really was. I remember Jed Clampett and Co with affection, they were and still are funny and unoffensive (to anyone who matters). The Burns and Allen Show is funny, from the gags I would say these shows date from about 1952... I saw some Burns and Allen from 1927 as extras on the 3 disc "Jazz Singer" set... George and Gracies humour hadn't changed much in a quarter of a century (and George was George until the day he died!)
Red Skelton shows his quality even if the humour has dated.
And Milton Berle's show for Texaco (complete with Texaco jingles)? I suppose it was wacky for it's time. It's agreeable but has me wondering whether viewers in another 50 or so years (because these shows are that old for the most part) will think as patronisingly of the stuff we find funny as I do of Uncle Milty in particular.
At the price though, it's an eyeopener so buy it, you'll like some of it I guarantee. And the quality is good for its age.

Classic TV Comedy [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Classic TV Comedy [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] by Artist Not Provided (DVD - 2004)