5.0 out of 5 stars iPod Mini meets its match
Published on 12 Dec 2004 by Leslie Boobis

3.0 out of 5 stars It's great..... until it breaks!!
I love my Zen Micro, I just wish it would stop breaking down on me!!

Published on 14 May 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars iPod Mini meets its match, 12 Dec 2004
Leslie Boobis "zakbee" (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
With the three female members of the family all now avid iPod users I had been considering getting an iPod Mini to match my wife's. However I felt that the sound could be better and after reading reviews on the new Creative Zen Micro I thought this might be a better machine. Well it has surpassed all my expectations! In stark contrast to the iPods which need to go back to Apple if the battery needs replacing mine even came with a extra battery - it was a Limited Edition model so if you are ordering see if you can hold of one of these. Battery life was initally not so long as claimed but if you upgrade to the new firmware (ver 1.01.03) this sorts out a minor problem with the charging. Compared with the iPods where installing them was a pain with incompatibility problems with some Firewire cards and a refusal to charge using a USB2 port, installing the Zen is a cinch and completely hassle free. Recognised first time and every time by Windows 2000/XP and charges as you are uploading music. There are a number of additional features which make it so much better than the iPod. The FM radio is a great additional feature and use can partition part of the drive as a "plug and go" USB Drive for transferring files between computers. This feature does not even need any extra software on your computer as long as you set the Zen to "removable disk" before you plug it in. Ripping CDs and uploading music is so easy as is editing album and track information. The touch senstive controls are very easy to use and quite intuitive. Sound quality is much, much better that the iPods and this is helped by the Creative earphones. These have better sound quality and better sensitivity. It is cute rather than beautiful (I still think the iPod Mini wins the on the beauty stakes) but extemely well made. My only grouse is the rather flimsy belt clip - I have broken mine already - and Creative could do well to improve on this. However despite this I would still award it five stars. If you have any sense you would get one of these rather than an iPod Mini and you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 21 Jan 2005
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
I only got this on the sixteenth of January, but it's so easy to use that I've already loaded over 100 songs onto it. It's a really nice, cute size and the blue backlight looks great! The touchpad is very easy to get used to (it only took me a few minutes to find my way around) and the sound quality is excellent. I prefer the Zen's appearance to the ipod mini's as this is smaller and the colour doesn't look so tacky. All the people I know who have ipods have had problems with them, but so far this has behaved perfectly!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's great..... until it breaks!!, 14 May 2005
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
I love my Zen Micro, I just wish it would stop breaking down on me!!

I haven't had any problems with battery life, touch pad sensitivity or with the software. The player looks nice, the sound is great and there is more then enough space for my entire CD collection, despite the player being so small. Also, despite not being that great with computers, I still found the whole ripping/ MP3 conversion process (I'm not sure of the exact technical terminology!) easy with the aid of the software provided.
However, the problem that I have had though is with the headphone socket. I got my first Zen Micro in december, and it functioned perfectly. That was until one day when, whilst I was listening to the player, the headphone socket went completely. Everytime I touched the cable or so much as moved, the sound became completely distorted and sounded oddly like I was listening underwater. Admittedly, I had changed the white headphones supplied to my own pair (which weren't bright white and therefore didn't announce to the world "hey I have an i-pod!", for safety reasons)but I didn't really think that this would eventually effect the player.
In reading the other reviews, I couldn't help but notice that many were written days after acquiring the player, however the problems didn't develop for me until after I had had it for a month or so.
I got a replacment, stuck with the white headphones and after a about 3 weeks the same thing happened again!!! And what annoyed me is that I was so careful with it, I never even had a chance to drop it or anything to give it a reason to break!
I am now on my third Zen Micro in 5 months. Maybe I should just give up and get an i-pod but, in all honesty, I don't want to! When my Zen Micro is working,it is great, and I like it much better then the i-pods. It just annoys me that i spend half of my time watching the thing like a time bomb, waiting for it to break again.
If you want a more reliable product, get an i-pod. They are more expensive, but I haven't heard a single complaint about them from anyone I know who has one. On the other hand, I know two people who have Zen Micros- one has had no problems at all and thinks that it is great. The other has given up after his third replacement and is now demanding a refund.
My advice would be not to bother, as it seems to be a kind of lottery with them. You either get lucky and end up with one that runs smoothly with no problems, or you end up spending half of your spare time trying to contact Creative Customer Support, and wishing you had just followed the crowd and given in to Apple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth It!, 29 Mar 2005
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
I've never had an mp3 player before, untill now I always thought that my mini-disc player would be all I'd need to keep my music with me, however as my collection grew even carrying mini discs became a pain. So I decided to invest in an mp3 player so that all I'd need to carry would be the player. I spent hours trying to find the perfect one for me, and I did, I found the Zen Micro.
Main selling points for me:
5Gb space: more than enough for ALL your favourites but not so much as that you carry a brick in your pocket
Touch Pad: I loved the idea of not having to press buttons because I hate the clicking!
Removable Battery: one of the drawbacks of having an iPod is that if the battery gets warn out you have to send it back; with the Zen Micro you can even get a battery with a longer life span if you want and you can change it yourself.
Removable Disk: I now no longer need a flash drive I just use my mp3 player.
Format Converter: I found out that there's a feature with the software that converts mp3 - wma so that more music will fit on if the files are large!
Microphone: I thought this was a greta idea, a microphone so that you can record meetings or anything else, I recorded my friend playing guitar and it sounds great!
Added Bonuses:
Fm Radio
Clock
Calender
Charges through USB
Equaliser
Belt Clip/Stand
And now to the question of the bad stuff
To be honest there aren't very many drawbacks! Ok so the battery life isn't up to the quoted 12 hours but you can get other batteries and I'm sure most people are still not away from a plug socket for so long it runs out fully anyway. The white headphones are a slight drawback as most people assume you have an iPod which is annoying because you don't and I don't like iPods so it's kind of offensive.
As for most peoples complaint that the touchpad is too sensitive even on "low" they must like to press really hard on the touchpad once the sensitivity is on low it's perfectly fine. Also the software I found quite easy to use, takes a bit of getting used to but what program doesn't and i'm not exactly the most amazing person with computers either, so why some people found it hard to use is beyond me.
So basically if you're stuck for which mp3 player to buy i Highly recommend the Zen Micro; especially if it's that or an iPod Mini, my bestfriend has an iPod mini and I prefer mine so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its great- buy one now, 12 Jan 2005
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
Just to say that I think zen micros are great. I just got one the other day and im reallly happy with it. It is tiny, smaller than an ipod, and really cool. Ripping tracks is really easy, and the overall impression is great. It has a long battery life and a large memory space- more than an ipod! I like it beacuse everyone else has an ipod and this is the same, but different. I think it is way better than an ipod, and a great thing to own!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little player, 29 Dec 2004
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
This little player is literally that, a tiny player. i was amazed how small it is and how much it can hold.
The sound quality is amazing and the interface is good. the touch bar is quite sensitive and takes a while to get used to, but once you get used to it its very efficient - plus its cool to have all touch sensitive buttons.
It looks really nice, although not quite like in the pictures. its fully white (very pure white) except the front. the blue fibre optics around the edge make it look great though.
All the extra features on it like radio, contacts, calendar etc are also really useful, altough you need Outlook to use a lot of them! It also has a nice DJ feature for picking songs.
On the down side, it tends to lock up a lot when connecting to the comp unless you setup your USB ports in a certain way (took a while for me to do that). there also seem to be a few firmware issues that they hopefully amend.
Overall, a great package (mine had a spare battery aswell) that has everything you need to get it going (leads etc..). its definately worth the money. I reckon these are better value than an ipod mini as your not paying for the name (and you get an extra gig of memory in a smaller player!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 27 Sep 2006
Mr. G. Mcdonald "Greig Mc Donald" (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
Brilliant player...simple as that. I've had mine a year and a half and have had no problems what so ever. Whilst my ipod mates are sending theirs back,battery problems,scrolling problems, frozen screens, this little beauty has never failed me. PLUS, if you've kept up with the media storys, apple nicked creatives idea for the scrolling. Don't hesitate with this one, get it! Simple installing, simple cd ripping and you get access to grace note which recocnizes cd's in your pc so you dont have to keep typing in the tracks,albums and artists from your cd, it recognises it! Can't praise it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 9 Sep 2006
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
I have had one of these for over a year now and thankfully no problems! Try not to be put off by other peoples bad experience. My daughter's ipod nano had headphone issues, she is now on her second in 6 months, not to mention what happens when the battery reaches the end of it's life ! I bought my husband an iRiver which was good to start, then the display went and you couldn't navigate the menus, so I sent that back and got him one of these instead! Mine came with a mains charger; his didn't. The Creative Mediasource player is very good, I download from iTunes, burn to Cd and then rip on the PC, a bit longwinded but it works and iTunes is great. The FM radio works OK, I even managed to tune into some stations whilst on holiday in Turkey - they were pretty clear. Like most modern electricals the Micro can have it's funny turns (yes, it has frozen on occaision and I take the battery out), a bit inconvienient but on the other hand this is a great player and even my husband finds it easy to use and he is terrible with this kind of stuff!

2.0 out of 5 stars I could have done better..., 14 Mar 2006
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
I bought my zen micro in april 2005 for £150 and to be honest, i could have found better MP3 Player for £150.
When i bought it, my zen micro worked great. All i had to do was get used to the touch pad which took about a day and for the next few months it was fine.
At around september last year (2005), though, i found that the earphone socket was becoming a bit unreliable (moving the earphone socket in the plug stopped the sound coming from one of the earphones) and gradually this got worse and now the sound barely comes out of either earphone. I've tried using different pairs of earphones but this doesn't work either.
Other problems are that the switch can come completely off (i've lost my switch and have to use a paper clip to turn it on!) and the battery life is disappointing.
So be warned! I dont reccomend this if you're like me and use your MP3 Player a lot but expect it to last long too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Zen Mico, 1 April 2005
WAA MACKIE "billyandlucy" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue (Electronics)
I eagerly waited the arrival of the micro which arrived in superfast time earlier than expected. The Micro is stylish, sounds good and I am glad that I bought it. It holds all my favourite albums though it will not hold your entire collection but it is very easy to transfer albums to and from your pc using the software provided. The only things I have so far found annoying are the scroll touch strip and have found it to be quite fiddly but I am getting used to it. Also if you are into your dance music/mixes and have ripped songs from cd as individual tracks there is an ever so slight pause between tracks during playback of the album which is bad if you are listening to the 'smooth' mix inbetween. I dont know if there is a way round this other than ripping the whole cd as one track or if all mp3 players are the same?!?
Overall though I am very happy so far, the battery seems okay but haven't tested it properly yet. Any way thats it.

Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Dark Blue