4.7 out of 5 stars2,000
Style Name: Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs|Change

on 10 June 2009
I bought these for my daughter in a charity shop initially.
Although they are suggested for 12m+, she loved them from 7m. At first she just held them and bashed them together, but something about them (colour? shape? I could never work out what) seemed to particularly appeal to her, and she favoured them over all her other toys.
Now she is 14m, and still loves them just as much, and has graduated to squeaking the chicks, and fitting the eggs together with their shells.
I can see they will continue to grow in play potential with her, as eventually she will figure out the bases of the eggs need to be 'sorted' into the box, and later still that the faces on the shells can be matched to the chicks. I have to say her 9year old cousin is always volunteers to 'sort' them for her, just to be helpful, you understand!

I noticed any other babies or toddlers who were visiting seemsed to be very keen on them, and have consequently given them as gifts on birthdays etc.
I really dont know what it is about the eggs, but babies seem quite transfixed by this particular toy.
I would highly recommend it for any baby or small child, it has lots play potential, which changes as the child grows and develops new skills. It represents eggsellent (sorry, couldn't resist that) value for money.
It is also very compact, a great toy to stick in your bag when you are heading out on a visit, as it holds their attention for ages.
77 comments|339 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2010
I brought the Tomy Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs as a present for my daughters first Christmas. I came across them whilst looking around for a few little, affordable bits to go with her main presents - stocking fillers if you like.

The eggs come in a durable plastic yellow egg box. This not only makes the eggs seem real to a child but is really handy for storing the eggs away - I always seem to be finding different pieces from different toy sets all over the house!

Inside the box are 6 white plastic eggs. Each egg has 2 parts to it, as if they are cracked in half. The top part of the egg acts like a lid and the bottom part of the egg has a chick inside. The lids have different faces on and are interchangable, which means they can be swapped around. The chicks are 3 different colours (orange, blue and green) and make a 'tweet' sound when they are pushed down. Little effort is needed to push the chicks and they are suitable for the smallest of fingers.

Inside the egg box and on the bottoms of the eggs are different shapes (square, triangle, star, circle etc). The eggs fit into the box according to their shape, so effective the toy doubles up into a shape sorter.

The educational aspects of this toy are that it encourages hand-eye coordination, role play and can help to learn counting, colours and shapes. It is also unisex and doesn't require batteries.

This toy was a big hit with my daughter from day one and is something that she has played with alot - I also have friends that have this toy and they have said the same. The squeaky noises always made her giggle and the shape sorting really made her think and concentrate. Infact she is now 3 years old and still enjoys playing with it from time to time! Such a simple but effective toy.

Overall I think the Tomy Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs are a great toy for babies and toddlers. It manages to grab childrens attentions and gets the balance between education and fun just right. Superb value for money.
0Comment|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2014
Only played with for a bit but one of the eggs fell apart, revealing a sharp plastic spike and a loose spring.
I contacted Tomy direct.
Had to give one star as zero is not an option.
review image
on 21 February 2013
This product has been around for years, and I've just bought it for my grand-daughters. I had it for years in my classroom as an infant teacher, and children up to the age of seven used the set in imaginative play. This particular box does everything it should: the chicks squeak, some louder than others, they are in six different colours with a matching face colour on the differently edged shell. It works on different levels as a shape sorter and home-play toy.The catch is a bit stiff for a small child to open, but in my experience, it will loosen a bit with use.The four year old and the one year old play with it in differing ways, it is very durable and cost less than £5. A great buy.
on 16 March 2009
Brilliant little toy - needs no batteries and easy to carry around in the change bag for fun on the run!
on 14 August 2012
these are great, keep my 13 month old entertained although she cant match shapes yet she stil enjoys putting the shells together and breaking them again
on 10 April 2012
My sisters had them about 15 years ago when they were little and I remember them being a much loved toy.
My 24 month old son loves these, the squeaking does take a bit of getting used too tho,all the kids love these as well as does his cousin of the same age and so does his four year old cousin too, whenever they are together they all play with these.squeak squeak squeak.... At the moment he likes to tip them out and make them sqeak, although he is just starting to realise they fit into the shapes at the bottom and is try to do this.Such a simple,well loved classic toy that I can see lasting for many years.
on 11 December 2009
I purchased these when my children were 6 months old, now they are nearly 8 months they love them....they love bashing them together, tipping the eggs out of the box, chewing them!
Fantastic buy as when they get a bit older they can use them as a shape sorter. Definately suitable for around 6/7 months onwards.
on 25 December 2015
These are a great toy for your older baby/toddler. Firstly they have no batteries which in a world full of battery operated plastic toys is lovely. They engage a baby on several levels: they are bright and colourful, make a fun squeaky noise when pressed and provide a variety of challenges - from taking the egg shell lids on and off to matching the right lid to the right egg and finally, when baby is older, fitting the egg into the right part of the tray based on the shape on the base of the egg.

These are a firm favourite with our 14 month old son - we take them out to restaurants with us as they are not noisy and offensive to other customise and they happily amuse our son for a good 20mins or so. A great toy.
on 1 February 2009
Fabulous toy for any youngster - there is lots of play value in this item. You can do colours, counting, shape sorting and for older kids, even use it to play shops. It is a great unisex toy that will be used again and again