2,048
Style Name: Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs|Change
Price:£7.35+ Free shipping

on 10 June 2009
I bought these for my daughter in a charity shop initially.
Although they are suggested for 12m+, she loved them from 7m. At first she just held them and bashed them together, but something about them (colour? shape? I could never work out what) seemed to particularly appeal to her, and she favoured them over all her other toys.
Now she is 14m, and still loves them just as much, and has graduated to squeaking the chicks, and fitting the eggs together with their shells.
I can see they will continue to grow in play potential with her, as eventually she will figure out the bases of the eggs need to be 'sorted' into the box, and later still that the faces on the shells can be matched to the chicks. I have to say her 9year old cousin is always volunteers to 'sort' them for her, just to be helpful, you understand!

I noticed any other babies or toddlers who were visiting seemsed to be very keen on them, and have consequently given them as gifts on birthdays etc.
I really dont know what it is about the eggs, but babies seem quite transfixed by this particular toy.
I would highly recommend it for any baby or small child, it has lots play potential, which changes as the child grows and develops new skills. It represents eggsellent (sorry, couldn't resist that) value for money.
It is also very compact, a great toy to stick in your bag when you are heading out on a visit, as it holds their attention for ages.
77 comments| 341 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2010
I brought the Tomy Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs as a present for my daughters first Christmas. I came across them whilst looking around for a few little, affordable bits to go with her main presents - stocking fillers if you like.

The eggs come in a durable plastic yellow egg box. This not only makes the eggs seem real to a child but is really handy for storing the eggs away - I always seem to be finding different pieces from different toy sets all over the house!

Inside the box are 6 white plastic eggs. Each egg has 2 parts to it, as if they are cracked in half. The top part of the egg acts like a lid and the bottom part of the egg has a chick inside. The lids have different faces on and are interchangable, which means they can be swapped around. The chicks are 3 different colours (orange, blue and green) and make a 'tweet' sound when they are pushed down. Little effort is needed to push the chicks and they are suitable for the smallest of fingers.

Inside the egg box and on the bottoms of the eggs are different shapes (square, triangle, star, circle etc). The eggs fit into the box according to their shape, so effective the toy doubles up into a shape sorter.

The educational aspects of this toy are that it encourages hand-eye coordination, role play and can help to learn counting, colours and shapes. It is also unisex and doesn't require batteries.

This toy was a big hit with my daughter from day one and is something that she has played with alot - I also have friends that have this toy and they have said the same. The squeaky noises always made her giggle and the shape sorting really made her think and concentrate. Infact she is now 3 years old and still enjoys playing with it from time to time! Such a simple but effective toy.

Overall I think the Tomy Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs are a great toy for babies and toddlers. It manages to grab childrens attentions and gets the balance between education and fun just right. Superb value for money.
0Comment| 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2014
Only played with for a bit but one of the eggs fell apart, revealing a sharp plastic spike and a loose spring.
I contacted Tomy direct.
Had to give one star as zero is not an option.
review image
on 16 March 2009
Brilliant little toy - needs no batteries and easy to carry around in the change bag for fun on the run!
on 21 February 2013
This product has been around for years, and I've just bought it for my grand-daughters. I had it for years in my classroom as an infant teacher, and children up to the age of seven used the set in imaginative play. This particular box does everything it should: the chicks squeak, some louder than others, they are in six different colours with a matching face colour on the differently edged shell. It works on different levels as a shape sorter and home-play toy.The catch is a bit stiff for a small child to open, but in my experience, it will loosen a bit with use.The four year old and the one year old play with it in differing ways, it is very durable and cost less than £5. A great buy.
on 11 December 2009
I purchased these when my children were 6 months old, now they are nearly 8 months they love them....they love bashing them together, tipping the eggs out of the box, chewing them!
Fantastic buy as when they get a bit older they can use them as a shape sorter. Definately suitable for around 6/7 months onwards.
on 28 October 2011
This is a great little toy. I don't know what it is about these eggs but my 1 year old daughter really does like them. I also like the fact that they pack in to their own box. This makes it a handy grab-and-go toy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs but the reason I gave them only 3 stars was that while I like them, I wouldn't say they are a life changing toy like some of the other reviews seem to suggest. Buy them by all means but please don't expect your child to have some kind of developmental epiphany the very second you open the packaging.
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2016
Quite perplexed by this - over one and a half thousand five star reviews, so I'm not sure what we're missing.

Bought for my LO's 1st birthday (along with some other bits and pieces). Tomy recommends the toy for 12months+, so we figured it would be a fun thing that might last a while. As it is, she finds it pretty boring, and I can understand why.

The eggs are just plastic eggshells (the lids don't fit tightly at all, so they just fall or lift off without any sense of achievement), the squeaking is feeble (and not easy to do consistently with adult hands, never mind baby ones), and the colour coded shells and shaped bottoms are far too complex for a baby and time consumingly irritating for the parent clearing up the discarded, boring toy, twenty seconds after first introducing it (not to mention an utter nightmare for OCD sufferers).

In fairness, she keeps going back to it as though she expects it to do something else, but when it doesn't she moves straight onto other toys. Obviously, all kids are different, and your mileage may vary - at least 1,500 other children are clearly huge fans of this. Ours isn't, and nor am I.
on 27 December 2015
There's not much to this toy really, and don't see why some reviewers rave about them like they're totally amazeballs! They're just six plastic cheap-looking eggs in a tray, with the lightest, crappest squeak when pressed (two out of six barely muster a squeak!). I rated them 3* as there is some developmental value in the shape-sorting feature (the base of each egg has a uniquely shaped plug that needs sorting into the correct tray socket), plus the inside of each egg is a different colour and needs matching to the different coloured faces on each egg shell, which is another 'sorting' feature. My little girl did rather enjoy smashing her eggs all over the floor, as is going through a destructive phase, so it remains to be seen if they maintain her interest!
on 3 June 2013
These eggs have been a smashing success with both of my children - no yolk. Both have always been thoroughly eggcited to see the yellow box come out of the toybox.

They can be used in different ways, and grow well with the age of the child - from emptying them out and rolling them around, making them squeak, fitting them back together again, to number, shape, colour identification and sorting. The longevity of the purchase makes them seem a very cheep product, and they are highly recommended - a true eggxample of a brilliant children's toy. Shell out for them - you won't be disappointed.

Right, must scramble before I get booted off by amazon - I bet they've had enoeuf of my puns and will be begging me to stop.