5.0 out of 5 stars Kylie DVD Oxidized - >> CURE / SOLUTION <<
Great DVD featuring most of her hits etc
Published on 15 Jan 2007 by Martinez36

3.0 out of 5 stars KYLIE IS BRILLIANT - BUT AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!
First and foremost i should say i love Kylie Minogue as an artist and a person she is a wonderfully talented individual.

However i have bought this DVD twice (not from Amazon). On it's initial play there are no problems. The trouble comes when you put it on your shelf for a while and then go to play it six months down the line.

When i pulled out my...
Published on 23 Nov 2009 by PAUL B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars KYLIE IS BRILLIANT - BUT AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!, 23 Nov 2009
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)

When i pulled out my copy to play a year or so back, i found a wierd, flower like pattern had appeared on the back of the DVD which made normal playback impossible.

I managed to get a replacement from a well known high street retailer, and guess what the same had happened to that one. This however only happened to me after i lost the reciept about one about one year down the line.

I am now stuck with an unplayable DVD which makes for a rather unique coaster!!!!

After making enquiries with one of the Kylie website message boards it turns out this is a common problem.

Avoid!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kylie DVD Oxidized - >> CURE / SOLUTION <<, 15 Jan 2007
Great DVD featuring most of her hits etc
For those reviewers who have noticed their disc has oxidized (the shiny surface has gone cloudy), mine did this so i washed it (yes you read that correctly)with hand soap and water between my fingers, and it restored it to its full shiny finish meaning i was able to play it again ! (nb make sure you thoroughly dry the disc before playing of course)
Hope that helps others

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!, 1 Feb 2005
Mr. K (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)
It makes a change to see the videos rather than just listening to CD versions. The only things I was disappointed to note was it is only mixed in stereo! This is almost criminal for 21st Century. Surely a 5.1 DD or DTS mix is not much to add! Especially as the disc was produced at Abbey Road, one of the pioneers for 5.1. And if you're gonna transfer it to DVD why not spruce up the images? Some videos are a little jagged and mosaic was also noted. Otherwise a splendid purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - "Can't get you out of my head" video is CUT!!!!!!, 31 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)
This should be a 5 star review but alas the crown jewel of this video collection has been butchered for some very strange reason known only to the idiots at Kylie's record company!
"Can't get you out of my head" is her biggest hit and one of the very best pop videos so far this decade, so of course someone decided it would be a good idea to put a truncated version on this dvd! Great logic behind that decision, I'm sure you'd agree!
So the intro and most of the first verse is now absent, ruining the video and cutting the song by almost a minute

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing 12 videos!, 8 Jan 2005
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)
Finally we have an official and (almost) comprehensive collection of Kylie's videos. Fantastic! My only complaint is they missed at least 12 videos out, making the "Ultimate" title a little inaccurate.
Okay, the mass-public probably won't remember all the missing songs, and some were not released here in the UK - but the thing about pop videos is that they're still interesting and entertaining even if the song wasn't such a memorable hit.
I think most people would agree that the 'rarer' songs would have been a real treat to watch, as we've never had the chance to see them before. And anyone who wasn't interested could easily skip them as it's a DVD!
Most importantly, DVDs are extremely cheap to manufacture and adding a third disc to this set would have allowed all the songs to be included, without being cut down or highly compressed. The fans would have been raving about it and this would have done the collection a great promotional service. And completists (such as me) would have been having orgasms over it!
I'm not saying you shouldn't buy this collection. It's Kylie after all! But "Ultimate" it is not.
MISSING VIDEOS:
It's No Secret, Turn it into Love, Word is Out, Finer Feelings, If You Were With Me Now, Keep On Pumpin' It, What Kind of Fool? (Heard All That Before), Where is the Feeling?, Some Kind of Bliss, Cowboy Style, German Bold Italic, Your Disco Needs You (by far the most unfortunate omission of the bunch!)

2.0 out of 5 stars content - good; disc - poor quality, 29 May 2006
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)
I like Kylie and I deliberately bought this DVD the first day of its release. I like the MTVs. but the disc, after a period of time got oxidized...now that i cannot play the disc again. I stored this disc along with my other DVDs but only "The Ultimate Kylie" got oxidized... :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars From popstar to serious artist... and back again, 21 Oct 2010
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)
Disadvantages: ... starts to get a bit repetitive.

The videos
- - - - - - - - -

We all know who Kylie is so lets skip the introduction. In fact I personally recommend skipping the first nine tracks, as none of them have aged very well musically and I'm sure that she'd agree that she was still undeveloped vocally.

Things start to get interesting at the 'Rhythm Of Love' era. By this point she'd toured and was more confident in her vocal abilities and it shows. She had also outgrown her bubblegum pop roots and come to realise that she's pretty and sex sells, I think that the dancier pop and the revealing clothing and suggestive wiggling that abruptly begin to appear in her videos clearly show a rebellion against her squeaky clean, 'good girl' image.

Her vocals continue to improve in the Lets Get To It period [It's such a shame that only one video is included. Two of my favourite singles are from this album] and her image undergoes another change - into a 50s femme fatale. The video that represents that period here is filmed in sepia and she displays a more subtle sexiness; she wears a button down calf length dress, but leaves a few buttons opens to display her cleavage [her push-up bra works overtime].

The final PWL video here is from her first Greatest Hits collection. There's not much to say about it - It's a faithful cover of Kool & The Gang' Celebration. Musically and visually it fits in with her cheesy bubblegum era.

When she joined deConstruction she took the fresh start as an opportunity to transform from the smiley, poppy guilty pleasure to a "serious artist". For her first deConstruction album she unveiled her best vocal work ever; She has not [and probably never will] reach the standard she set with this album. What I think are her best singles [Confide In Me and Put Yourself In My Place] are taken from this album.

After now achieving critical acclaim, Kylie decided to move further and further away from her old image. Her first step was to record a duet with Nick Cave. It was a risky move for her, but I think 'Where The Wild Roses Grow' came together really well and the atmosphereic video really helps take it to the next level.

After even more acclaim and a new generation of fans, Kylie decided that it was time for another gamble and spent two years writing a new album. After a further six months of delays she unleashed 'Impossible Princess' onto the world - and the majority of us didn't give it a second glance. The label described it as dance, but everyone who heard it dismissed it as indie. I like the single 'Breathe', but overall I dislike this period. The album itself was very self-indulgent and Kylie is not a gifted song writer. The videos were basic and it not help to boost sales of any of the singles.

After Kylie decided to "pursue fresh challenges" [read; deConstruction went bankrupt following the Impossible Princess mess] she signed to Parlophone - and [in my opinion] took a huge step backwards. Most of the songs are catchy and you can merrily sing along tothem, but the musical style is the same brand of danceable pop from her Rhythm of Love days; And the videos all feature the same brand of minimal clothing and suggestive wiggling. I don't mind any of these sultry videos people have now-a-days, but if that is the only creative thing you are bringing to the table, then you're in trouble...

Welcome to the 'Light Years' and her comeback. I think that we all remember the gold hotpants. And the soaking wet evening gown with no bra. And heavy breathing with Robbie Williams. And sliding down a fireman's pole in a flimsy nightgown. Whilst everything is musically monotone, it is all polished up nicely and if you've heard the album you'd agree that the 70s pop vibe flows well and is perfectly suited to her vocals.

We begin the 'Fever' era with Can't Get You Out Of My Head' which the tone for a futuristic tinged, pop era. To be honest I find the songs from this album over hyped and what exactly is futuristic pop? It sounds like the same stuff from her younger years to me.

The final period featured here is her work from her 'Body Language' album. While I appreciate how she injects Americanized R&B into her ever-faithful brand of pop I don't think its as good as it could have been. Too much time went into the style of the music and videos and not enough went into the lyrical content.

Kylie
I Should Be So Lucky, Got To Be Certain, The Loco-Motion, Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi, Especially for You

Enjoy Yourself

Kylie Minogue
Confide in Me, Put Yourself in My Place

Murder Ballads [Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds]
Where the Wild Roses Grow

Impossible Princess [A.K.A Kylie Minogue - The title was originally changed following the death of princess Diana]
Did It Again, Breathe

Light Years
Spinning Around, On a Night Like This, Kids, Please Stay

Fever
Can't Get You out of My Head, In Your Eyes, Love at First Sight, Come Into My World

Body Language
Slow, Red Blooded Woman, Chocolate

- - - - - - - - - -
The bonuses
- - - - - - - - - -

I Believe in You

This top 5 hit was wrote by Kylie herself, along with Jake Shears and Babydaddy from the Scissor Sisters. The single was released to promote her Ultimate Kylie greatest hits album and this DVD. As it was a single I'm not sure why it was placed in the bonus section.

Can't Get Blue Monday Out of My Head (Live at the BRITs 2002)

This was a great performance [I think that the Brits started to suck after 2002] and the stage props were great [Kylie popped out of a huge CD player].

There is also the option of displaying the lyrics to the music videos on screen.

- - - - - - - - -
Overall
- - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure what I think about everything as a whole - I mean it is nice to have everything from all three of her albums on one one disc, but having everything in front of you does clearly show how she slammed on the brakes and reverted back to the same "sexy pop" act. It worked for a while, but I think its getting tired now.

I think that they could have left her earlier music videos off this collection and focused on the Parlophone period, as this could have helped hide the whole musical rut thing. Plus; past Kylie DVDs already have every music video she made whilst with PWL and six out of seven of her deConstruction videos, so it really wouldn't have mattered if they left them out.

I didn't know if I was going to give this a three or four star rating until I actually wrote this bit. I've decided on a four because if you're going to pay this then your a fan already or you just think she's sexy, so either way you'll get a kick out of this collection.

If Parlophone had thought to include the videos for 'GBI' [her collaboration with Towa Tei], [ Australia only single] 'Cowboy Style' and 'Your Disco Needs You' [a non-UK single] in the bonus section I'd have given this DVD 5 stars. I think these are her only videos that haven't been given a DVD release to date, so it would have nice for fans to have had them included in this package.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardly Ultimate - Especially in Sound/Picture Quality, 27 Jan 2005
Matt MN (St. Paul, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)
In addition to other criticisms of this set (an edited Can't Get You Outta My Head video and leaving a number of videos off), the audio is only in 2.0 stereo. This is a big disappointment as her concert videos were released with 5.1 Dolby and DTS tracks. Also, full-frame versions of Slow and Red Blooded Woman were included when widescreen masters exist (and were included on the "Money Can't Buy" DVD). Finally, all the widescreen videos are non-anamorphic and look horrible when (if you have a widescreen television) you have to zoom in on the videos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Step Back In Time, 23 Nov 2004
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)
It does what it says on the cover. This dvd takes you all the way back to day one of Miss. Minogue and brings you right back up to 2004 again. "Ultimate Kylie" is just what was needed. A dvd full of memories. Songs some of you may think you had forgotten but actually remember once the opening bars kick in. This really is a dvd "ALMOST" worthy of being called "ULTIMATE KYLIE".
Reason: Okay, it wasnt released in the UK, but any Kylie fan knows "YOUR DISCO NEEDS YOU" came with a Video. If you didn't know this... it was FANTASTIC. Could this not have been included on the bonus features even if you couldn't put it in the main track listing?
It was bad enough this song wasn't released in the UK, and now it's as though they don't want us to know a video was made for it either(!) I have seen the video for YDNY a few times on TV and always hoped the day a dvd of Kylie videos came out it would be included. When I heard an "Ultimate Kylie" dvd was coming out, I was sure it would be put right out there for us all to enjoy. It just doesn't make sence not to include this amazing video on this dvd?
This is a great dvd, fantastic infact, but just missing that one moment a lot of "Ultimate Kylie" fans would have expected to be on a dvd by this name.

1.0 out of 5 stars the dvd is badly worn and jumps and skips at the best moments, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] (DVD)
waste of good money - should not have been sold
very cross and angry
check discs more carefully before selling

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD]
Kylie Minogue: Ultimate Kylie [DVD] by Kylie Minogue (DVD - 2004)
25.99