5.0 out of 5 stars Criminally unknown
Published on 27 Aug. 2009 by 3 Mugs

3.0 out of 5 stars Black metal?
Stop talking about black metal...this was way before it existed.Even if you accept venom as black metal which they weren't we're several years prior.This was one of the top 5 NWOBHM bands in my oppinion.That doesn't mean i'd ever sit down and listen to it ever again.
Published on 18 Dec. 2009 by M. Mccullough

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminally unknown, 27 Aug. 2009
3 Mugs (Rochester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give 'Em Hell (Audio CD)
Prompted by finding an Angel Witch album in the sale, I tentatively looked to see if this album had ever been re-released as well. I wasn't hopeful, as I have only ever met one other person who had heard of it, and he introduced me to it nearly 30 years ago! It was there, and very soon after it was bought! I still have the vinyl upstairs. I don't suppose it's been played for maybe 20 years now, but I always remember it fondly. But surely that's rose tinted specs? It probably isn't any good really, is it?
Is it ever! I remembered right. This is excellent - standing the test of time much better than the Angel Witch album. The sleeve notes have this down as an influence on Metallica's Lars Ulrich. Blimey. Funny old World eh? But actually not, because once heard, there's no reason why anyone who likes their metal wouldn't like this. The cover artwork and the title suggests a Black Metal band, with a penchant for comical cod satanism. Nope. Only one track, Unto The Ages Of The Ages plays the magick card fully, and that sounds epic rather than silly. This music is classic NWOBHM, pulling off the winning combination of melody, a cheeky sense of humour and pure rock 'n roll noise. It's hard rock, not white noise as some Black metal can be. The extra tracks fit the album perfectly, and compliment the release rather than pad it out as sometimes happens. I'm sitting listening again as I write this, for the second time tonight. All the tracks are greeted like old friends, but a special mention to Gettin' Heavy, which could only have been recorded by Englishmen. Tongues firmly in cheek as the jams are gloriously kicked out.
Clearly there are more people who heard this than just me and my old schoolfriend's older brother. But, if you are not one of them yet, then now is the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blinder, 4 Nov. 2009
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Give 'Em Hell (Audio CD)
As I have aleady commented on the marvellous review by "3 Mugs", I too used to have this years ago on tape. With the recent purchase of the Angel Witch album, I also had a look for this and hey presto !
A really marvellous NWOBHM record, not the "Black Metal" that the cover might suggest but a mix of really good heavy rock, tongue in cheek songs and some cracking guitar work.
I can't add much to what "3 Mugs" has already said, other than to agree that they were criminally under rated really and that rediscovering this album has been a real treat
Another ringing endorsement for a NWOBHM album that is indeed, often overlooked (& wrongly so) Go on get a copy - even if it is just for "Pay Now Love Later" - way hey !!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRIM TAVERN BARMY ARMY!, 14 April 2013
Pesto Fingeration (Chez Vegas, Englandland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give 'Em Hell (Audio CD)
Waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the mists of time, OK the late 70s, there was a temple of ROCK called the Brimington Tavern. Which had HEAVY METAL discos in the week, Two Beautiful Girls of a Sunday lunchtime, but best of all live ROCK music. In fact my first exposure to live ROCK music was at the 'Tav and one of the first of my exposures was to mighty WITCHFYNDE a second generation of worshippers at the SABBATH shrine and leading lights of the NWOBHM music taking the stage to lighted black candles and the smell of incense it was a PRIMAEVAL PAGAN slab MONOLITHIC METAL MAYHEM.
We were always Ready to Roll in those days to Montalo's Magickal guitar, Andro's throbbing Shergold Marathon bass, Gra's full on drumming and Magus' full throated roar. Every time I give Give 'em Hell a spin - vinyl or CD - it takes me back to those days of old. Times that would sadly wither and die.

Enough of my reminiscing do you need this album? Of course you do, come on buy it, don't mess, or paranormal forces may cause your plantpots to rise and fly towards your head (That one's for you Geoff)

BUY and BLESSED BE!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant Album, 22 Mar. 2013
S. Coulton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give 'Em Hell (Audio CD)
This is a must for all Witchfynde fans and anyone who loves real 70's sounding rock. If you like Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, etc this album is for you.
Every track is different and delivers what you expect from this style of rock.
Most certainly a great album that fits in very well with my collection.
A very good buy!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Black metal?, 18 Dec. 2009
M. Mccullough "Mayflower" (france) - See all my reviews

Give 'Em Hell
Give 'Em Hell by Witchfynde (Audio CD - 2004)