5.0 out of 5 stars Superb DVD of La Donna del Lago!
After playing this DVD, which I purchased before going in person to The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, as I wished to have a fair knowledge of this operatic work so that I knew what was coming, I thoroughly enjoyed the opera all the more. Many thanks for prompt and good service!
Published 12 months ago by Bobbie Kenny

3.0 out of 5 stars Well sung but...
Published 1 month ago by Wigan Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Well sung but..., 25 May 2014
This review is from: Rossini: La Donna Del Lago [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
The singing is always at least good, and often excellent but my word the sets and costumes are ugly. The production seems to be going for a general-purpose "historic" - but for some incomprehensible reason relocates the action to the Middle Ages. And what's with the men's hair? By Act II I was ready to scream at Wener Herzog "James V was King of Scotland. He could probably afford a barber!"

The singing's is VERY good though...

3.0 out of 5 stars Unexciting and unmoving, 7 Oct 2013
John H. Turner "balletomane" (indianapolis, indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rossini: La Donna Del Lago [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This performance was boring. Rossini boring? They had to work hard to achieve that, but achieve it the cast did.

4.0 out of 5 stars La Donna Del Lago, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rossini: La Donna Del Lago [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
the delivery service was excellent and this is a great product. Enjoyed the quality of the recording, look forward to more like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb DVD of La Donna del Lago!, 25 Jun 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Damp, 15 Feb 2013
I. Zaneres (west midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rossini: La Donna Del Lago [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
The sets are certainly worthy of mention, huge cliffs, castle walls and crags, and as part of the opening, a rather realistic lake appears with a boat and June Anderson on board. As the story progresses the sets revolve, go up and down and metamorphose, really quite impressive.
Having mentioned June Anderson, she is very good, I love her voice, and she plays a creditable part. My other pick is Chris Merritt, he has a remarkably clear tenor, not far behind him is Rockwell Blake as the King, to make up the foursome whoever sings Albina is a full voiced mezzo, two names appear on the credits, this confused me slightly. Surjan as Duglas is adequate but not outstanding, and Martine Dupoy in the trouser role Malcom I found somewhat wanting as she seemed always to be a lady dressed up as a male, somwhat disappointing.
I must give an applaud to the chorus,they have quite a bit to do, and executed it to a high standard.
I am no expert on 16th century scottish costume, but this lot seem to be more in tune with the middle east, and look to me like refugees from Nabucco.
The booklet has the complete libretto in Italian, not very useful to my mind, the plot write up which precedes it is brief and sketchy, there is also a list of arias etc, generally indicated by the first line, but there are no chapter numbers or timings.
I do not warm to the plot and would probably vote this as my least favourite Rossini. It will however remain in my collection and get an occasional airing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rossini Donna del Lago, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Rossini: La Donna Del Lago [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is a well produced DVD but it is highly influenced by its Italian origins and did not convince me of its merits as a Scottish story with Scottish literature origins

Rossini: La Donna Del Lago [DVD] [2010]
Rossini: La Donna Del Lago [DVD] [2010] by Riccardo Muti (DVD - 2004)
9.99