5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle Liberation
Published on 21 Jan 2005 by K. Bradshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I want out of my yoga practice, but may suit some.
I have done quite a few yoga dvd's over the past months, and this is my least favourite to do. Personally, I need to be mentally relaxed in order to relax physically, and physically relaxed in order to get the best out of my yoga practice. Doing this dvd is not relaxing, the pace is fast and Barbara's tuition is so breathless and hurried that it is almost comical.
I...
Published on 15 Sep 2005 by Jazzgirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle Liberation, 21 Jan 2005
K. Bradshaw "lilkay" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
I have dabbled in yoga a little before, only by using a book as my guide, but have never kept it up for any length of time - tending to find it more stressful than relaxing and enjoyable. However I decided to give it one more try and bought this DVD, and I have to say that I think I might just turn into a yoga nut, as following Barbara (and her two assisiants who demonstrate different levels of difficulty) was so easy that on the first play I did the four twenty minute sequences all in one go and the time just flew. I had a great time, and even after one session I felt a physical difference in my body, it is definately something that I will continue with - there is almost an addictive element to it.

I can see how Barbara herself may not be to everyone's taste in her presenting manner, but she really grows on you and couldn't be better in the way she leads the excersises. This is an ideal DVD for a beginner, even the more experienced could get something out of it as it is such a well put together programme.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great dvd, 28 Jan 2006
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
This dvd is great! Barabara Currie really expains the yoga moves very well, even for a beginner like me. I've had this dvd about a year now and i still use this dvd till this day. I have also just bought this dvd for my mam for xmas and my mam rates it high.
This yoga dvd is good if your going on holiday in the sun and you need toning up, and if your like me slightly over weight and diets dont work for you then this dvd is for you. After about 4 to 5 sessions a week for 6 weeks you'll see your body shape trim down, toned up and your posture improve and you feel more confident. I've seen the results for my self.
Other yoga dvds I would recommend are 'Geri Body Yoga', Barbara Curries 'Seven Secrets Of Yoga' and the Barbara Curries 'Total Body Plan' but not the Barbara Curries 'Power Yoga'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful if you like Barbara, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
Like another reviewer, I'm allergic to Californian yoga videos with a lot of silence, heavy breathing and sunset scenes - and Barbara does it for me. Her yoga is taught in a style more like 1980s aerobics than yoga - and she doesnt give you a lot of explanation about how to improve e.g. by breathing into the poses - so if you want the dolphin music and chanting this is not for you.

However, they shouldnt be dismissed as they have many benefits - this one is the best for me as the sections are long enough and not split into body parts like "exercises for the arms" as some of her other DVDs are, but organised into "balances" "flexibility" etc. Only drawback for me is that it does not include the inverted positions like the shoulder stands in other DVDs.

For me the benefits of this DVD are:

1) Barbara goes at the right pace for me- fast enough not to get bored or feel like you've just been lying on the floor breathing for ages (I can't take Katy Appleton for this reason as there are just great long sections of irritating breathing). If you're the type to get impatient with yoga, this is for you. It can seem fast the first time you watch - but this is good, because by the time you've done it a few times, it is just right - and now I've had it for a while I fast forward quite often.

2) The DVD is filmed so that you can always clearly see exactly what she is doing and how to do it. Unlike some DVDs where they keep showing you the scenery. Again, it's aerobics/keep fit style, so it's all about showing you how, not creating a spa atmosphere.

3) I love Barbara. It's a personal taste, but she is for me indeed the Delia Smith of yoga: kind, sensible and without vanity - yes, she is a bit like a nurse, but I don't mind being her patient!

4) It really works. I went to yoga classes, tried 2 private teachers, and didnt get on well until I started with Barbara Currie. I have been using her DVDs (and videos before that) for years and have gone from feeling I could never ever get into the poses to doing them with ease. I can do all the poses easily - and although no doubt I am missing many aspects of yoga, it's made me really flexible and given me great body tone.

Yes, it can seem fast at first - and her yoga is more like aerobics than the California style - but you have to bear with it as by the time you've watched it a few times you

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting addicted!, 10 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
I have got many exercise videos and dvds, but have never tried yoga - I have now done this dvd twice and love it! The first time I did it, I just did two sections and then the second time I did three sections. I could definitely feel that I had done exercise the next day. Everything felt tightened up and I feel as though it has made a difference already. Also, the second time round I felt more flexible and am determined to stick with it. It's well worth a go!

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Currie style, 19 Aug 2005
bookworm (Heath Charnock) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
Typical Currie style in that it is very 'correct' in how it is demonstrated however, if like me you want to engage your mind and relax into your practice then you may not find this the best DVD to use; Barbara is lovely, but her delivery is rather too brisk and reminiscent of being back at school for me. Nonetheless it is very good for studying the postures and there are assistants at the back who demonstrate beginner and intermediate levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Currie makes yoga enjoyable yet challanging, 9 Jun 2007
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
I have tried yoga now and again, but could never really get rid of the feeling that it was boring. Since I liked the idea of combining strength and flexibility, and even meditation, I kept coming back to it though. I'm glad I did. I have been following Power Packed Yoga a couple of times per week for a little more than a month now, and this is actually a dvd that I long for (I also follow some other workout dvd:s). Currie usually repeats a position two times, so while she doesn't let you off the hook - you have to work it - it never becomes boring. She is also not afraid to introduce challanging poses, but always offer an option for beginners. While I follow the dvd I have - fun. And afterwards I just feel great; relaxed and at peace. And yes, I feel it in the legs the day after.

The dvd countains four programs, one morning engergizer, one with focus on balancing postures, one with focus on stretching, and a relaxing and calming sequence. It totals about 1 hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastis - if experineced, 20 Jan 2005
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fantastic DVD but not suitable for beginners! I hadn't done any yoga before and struggled to keep up with Barbara! Plus the basic moves weren't explained so I wasn't sure if I was performing each excercise correctly. Having said that, once I'd finished I could really feel that I'd had a work-out and felt relaxed and calm. What I suggest is to get a very basci yoga tape first (or attend some classes) and then you'll get the full benefit from the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Mar 2008
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
This is brilliant. I've been doing the exercise sequences on this DVD for 8 weeks now and I can really see the difference. My arms are more defined, stomach is toned and legs are so much stronger. Aside from that Yoga really does de-stress and make you feel good. The exercises are progressive so you don't get bored but at the same time you can start as a beginner, as I did, and work your way up. I reckon that you need to use it 3 times a week to see the results. I even bought my mum a copy for mother's day and she rates it too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yoga almost made easy!, 29 May 2008
Molly Miaow (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
I have found this particular Barbara Currie dvd a real gem, I have also used 'Total Body Plan' and the 'Seven Secrets of Yoga' but prefer the sequences in this dvd. They are neatly compacted into 20ish minute slots and are linked by what they do for your body and well being. I have to confess I am a fan of Barbara! I have been practising yoga with her dvds for four years now and it has undoubtedly benefitted my life, making me feel calmer and more at ease. I have never strained or pulled a muscle and have instead made slow and steady progress and I would definitely recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I want out of my yoga practice, but may suit some., 15 Sep 2005
This review is from: Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
I also agree that it is not very suitable for beginners (which I am) although it is do-able.
I suppose it all depends on what you want from your yoga. If you want to concentrate on the purely physical side of things, and you want quite a demanding course that will get you straight into more difficult postures, then this might be exactly what you're looking for.
It may also suit those people who are allergic to floaty, airy fairy women who try and teach you in their most sultry voice while the camera focuses on the sunset in the background instead of the knot you're supposed to be tying yourself into.
Good luck!

Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD]
Barbara Currie: Power Packed Yoga [DVD] by Barbara Currie (DVD - 2004)
5.50