5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very pleased...
Bought this a couple of weeks ago and not regretted it one bit. The unit itself is very small and puts my friends digital cameras to shame. When you turn it on it comes to life and is ready to shoot in less than a second, it's very quick indeed. To take shots you have to hold the button down halfway and wait for the camera to focus then push it down the rest of the...
Published on 8 Mar 2005 by Mr. W. A. Briggs

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to making Photocopiers, Canon
This Canon camera suited me fine for just over a year, cute, easy to use, loved it. Then one day the zoom wouldn't operate and "Error E18" came up on the screen.

Thanks to the www I realised belatedly that I had joined a vast club of people who struggle to get these types of zoom cameras to function, once their warranty runs out. The problem is...
Published 3 months ago by The Vicar

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera - but buy from Amazon !, 8 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Canon Ixus 40 Digital Camera [4Mp, 3x Optical] (Electronics)
I bought the Ixus 40 as a gift, already owning an Ixus 400 (purchased from Amazon) which I was extremely pleased with. The Ixus 40 is fantastic, with its slim design and larger display. Unfortunately I made the big mistake of purchasing it at Pixmania.com. Don't, unless you particularly want a French instruction manual !! Following their suggestion that I download, print off and carry a 179 page document I shan't be troubling them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and perfectly formed, 21 Feb 2005
Like many others I took some time considering the options before purchasing a new digital camera - I have no regrets in choosing the IXUS. It is a wonderful little camera: small, stylish and easy to use, capable to taking decent pictures and video clips.
The camera is very well designed and built to very high standards. It is small but it manages to incorporate a decent sized LCD and is very easy to use with all the functions easily accessible. It is reasonably light (but not too light) with an attractive metal body making it robust and easy to carry around.
Obviously there are cameras available that take better quality pictures but the IXUS takes good pictures and is very well suited for home use. I tend to use a medium picture quality setting to get more pictures on a card but I have no complaints even at medium resolution.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfection, 3 April 2005
no doubt tomorrow there will be an even better model out.But this is the most perfect compact camera at the minute.Very very small but still very easy and comfortable to use.Video quality is a very welcome extra bonus!!----but get a big and fast SD card.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will not be disapointed!, 8 Jan 2006
This camera is fantastic. Its really small, looks cool, easy to use and well made. It takes excellent photos in all conditions. I cant fault the camera at all. I did a lot of research on the net before I bought it and I am very pleased I chose this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars canonixus40, 2 Mar 2006
D DIXON (ELMDON, ESSEX United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is not for the expert just us ordinary peasants. Saw recommendation in Which so went with it. Brilliant easy to use camera producing great results. Don't be put off by reading instruction book to carefully it is for the expert just skim and do the usual things like battery charging loading battery and formatting sd card. I must admit I was slightly put off by instruction book but used the menu and func.set buttons. All will be revealed when you use them and it is as simple as anything to set it up for the average user like me. Then fire away brilliant. Even ventured into video country up to now a forbidden territory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with my choice, 6 Jan 2005
By A Customer
Unbelievably simple to use, superb quality pictures, lovely big screen. Light and small, as big as a credit card in size, just a little thicker, so you can pop it into your pocket. Nice quick startup, good flash. Sometimes the multiflashes in red-eye reduction mode mean the subject has blinked as the final pic is taken, but you can set it for fast moving objects (eg children) within seconds, the menus are really well done and much easier than the Fuji I had before. Battery life is good. Very good quality on enlargements as much as you like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little pocket camera, 27 Jan 2005
Zed "zed999" (Bedfordshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The photo does not do this camera justice.
It is an amazingly neat and pretty little camera with its smooth metal surfaces, and large LCD screen. Once you've seen it, you have to have it!
It's packed full of features, yet is easy to use. The LCD is crystal clear and well organised, and the responsiveness of the camera is exceptional considering previous models.
I take this camera everywhere with me because it is so compact, and this allows me to capture moments I would normally have missed.
If there's any drawback to this camera, it is that I'm afraid of mislaying it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful camera, 8 Jan 2005
I recently purchased, through Amazon, this beautiful camera. It arrived in just a couple of days (right before Christmas, well done Amazon!), and we took it away with us for Christmas. I had a Nikon coolpix 775 before and had never really got on with it. I could never really work out how it worked , it was incredibly complicated, and had a pokey little screen that the pictures flashed briefly up on. Not so my lovely little Canon. This tiny little camera is so easy to use it beggars belief. I had the whole thing worked out in a flash, and went on to take some of the best pictures I have ever taken. The clarity of the pictures is amazing, the camera reloads really, really quickly, it only has 3 mode settings which make it so easy to use, the 2" LCD screen and the battery life are terrific. Before I would always take, and mainly use, my SLR camera. Not any more. My little Canon is constantly in my handbag ready to take my next masterpiece! Great stuff Canon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little snapshot camera, 10 Jan 2005
By A Customer
After reading many reviews on the net and coming down to a choise of either the Pentax S5i, the Casio Z55 and the Ixus 40, I finally decided on the Canon from Amazon. I must say I'm not disappointed. It really is a great little camera. It's extreamly quick and almost impossibly small, though has enough weight to feel sturdy in your hand. I wont go into the pros of the camera as all you have to do is read the specs. It really has alot of options for such a tiny camera, although I will mention a few of the little problems I've found so far.
1. When shooting at wide angle there's some fading and loss of sharpness around the corners. Not really a huge problem on normal shots, but say in a light coloured interior or a snow shot, this does show.
2. A bit of purple fringing (purple haze around highlights). Again, not huge, but you will notice it from time to time.
3. While the camera shows a histogram after the shot is taken, this is not available during a shot. Nice adition to have it, but rather pointless if you can't see it during the shot.
4. Personally, my camera came with a dead pixel on the LCD. It's down in the bottom left corner so I never notice it and am not sending it back due to it's location, but rather annoying from a respectable company like canon.
Bottom line is though, while some compromises have been made to make the size so small, for the portability of the camera I must say the shots are pretty magnificent. Dispite some problems, they are very sharp and print quite nicely. If you're an an enthusiate photographer you may be disappoint, however if you're after normal holiday snapshots from a camera small enough to slip in your top pocket, then Ixux 40 is defintitely worth a buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera, 3 Jan 2006
By A Customer
It looks great with its silver metal casing and the large screen makes the pictures really clear to view. It is easy to use straight out of the box using the auto mode but there are several other modes too.

Canon Ixus 40 Digital Camera [4Mp, 3x Optical]