4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start
Fantasia blew me away from the first time I heard her on American Idol 3. She sounded like a superstar, she looked like a superstar. I had extremely high hopes for this album.
Published on 29 Nov 2004 by Michael Mouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
The first time I heard Fantasia sing, it sent shivers down my spine. THIS was the most amazing voice I had heard in a LONG time. There was so much soul in that voice; so vibrant, so full, so "haunting"... I could not wait for the album.
I had such high hopes, and when I first saw the album, I did not hesitate in buying it.
Fantasia, I hate to say this, but what...
Published on 16 Mar 2005 by Tanja

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start, 29 Nov 2004
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
The biggest dilemma for what to do with Fantasia was obvious from the end of the competition - Soul or RnB. The younger market (i.e. RnB) won here. Fans of Fantasia from her American Idol 3 performances should approach with caution - with a couple of exceptions, the backing band and vocal rawness is gone, and beats and polished production are in.
My biggest regret is that the producers (and maybe even Fantasia herself) have turned what could have been the NEXT Aretha Frankin into just another RnB/Hip Hop singer in an already crowded market.
Sadly (and I really regret having to say this) - this album doesn't live up to her American Idol performances. Most albums start great and trail off towards the middle and end - this is almost the opposite. The opening 'Ain't Gonna Beg' isn't the start I'd have liked - it's a little sterile and not the statement of intent it should have been. 'Free Yourself' is better, but there's just no meat to it either. 'Truth Is' is again just okay - just more slow RnB by numbers. I'm no record producer - but whoever came up with the track order needs a slap.
Track 4 - 'Selfish' is where things pick up (finally). Finally a bit of that Fantasia attitude comes through, with an unusual melody (courtesy of Missy Elliot).
From here - it's all good. 'Summertime' is a great rendition - with an excellent arrangement. It's the first time on the album you think "WOW - that girl can SING!". Trademark vocal gymnastics, emotion and sheer class. The other AI3 song - 'You Were Always On My Mind' is good - but it doesn't compare to her show performance (I'd have preferred less arranging on the backing).
As for the rest of the new tracks, the loud and proud 'Baby Mama', slow beat 'Got Me Waiting', band beat and clap funk 'It's All Good', old soul sound 'Good Lovin'', 'Don't Act Right', introspective 'This Is Me' are all good tracks - and it's taken me a long time to appreciate that (it's almost odd hearing Fantasia singing songs I'm not familiar with).
The final track, the single 'I Believe' is, in my opinion one of the standouts. Okay, it may be clichéd and too pop for some, but it certainly shows off Fantasia's voice to it's absolute full (goosebumps every time I listen to it). For me, there just wasn't enough on this album that comes close in style or performance.
I'd have loved to have heard just a few more AI3 songs on here (surely there was some room for 'What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?' and 'Something To Talk About'!!!).
I started reviewing this with an idea to give it two stars, then three and now four stars. It IS a grower of an album, so give it the attention it deserves like I did - it's worth it!
Enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Mar 2005
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
Fantasia, I hate to say this, but what on earth happened? Where is that magical, INDIVIDUAL spark that you showed us on American Idol?
I was hoping for something as beautiful, and unique as Fantasia herself. Instead, what I got was the same old run of the mill R&B that hundreds (if not thousands) of other singers are churning out by the bucketload, which is keeping all the GOOD music off the radio airwaves... Sure, Fantasia has an awesome voice, but it is totally lost in this album...
I hope that the next album will bring back the spark, and soul of the lady with the most incredible voice of this millenium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fantasia, 14 Mar 2006
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
Fantasia made AI3 - the girl can SAAAAANG. Watched all her AI performances from top 10 and boy can she deliver. While she may not have the most flawless of vocals (still great though) her voice is soulful and rich and she carries you with each song. Truth is - her first single - absolutely beautiful - Free Yourself is another brilliant one - This is me and Baby Mama are both fantastic numbers. This is a standout first album !. She got nominated for 4 grammys - didnt win any - but her time will definately come. Really hope her 2nd album has some live tracks - cos when Fantasia sings live - she has NO equal

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasia is the next big thing, 14 Jan 2005
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
I watched in awe as she steamrolled the oposition in American Idol , she had so much natural ability it seemed like she shouldn't be in the competition as it seemed unfair to the other contestants , but she rightly won . This album doesn't scratch the surface of this girl's talent , firstly you have to see her perform live to appreciate how incredible she is , secondly the material though very good doesn't allow her to really show the personality she displayed on the show . Having said that it could easily have sounded generic but doesn't as her voice is so distinctive and she knows how to use it . I certainly would recommend this album to anyone whose a fan of Beyonce ,Ashanti , Brandy etc , although personally I think Fantasia could teach them all something

5.0 out of 5 stars Girl can cut a record, 9 Feb 2006
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
I was watching the auditions and when i saw fantasia sing my body started the shiver, her voice touched me and i said to my boyfried she's going to win. Her performance every week was brilliant and the album was even better. The songs on the ablum the words and the way she sang them was like she was talking to u and saying to u that things are possible. A brilliant singer and a brilliant album, Keep ur head up high girl.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good!, 3 April 2005
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
This is a good record, But you can also tell it has come from Simon Cowell bunch!!!
You wont be able to see what fantasia can do till the next album, because this album was done before she won the show. But it is a good album, listen out for baby mama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and mind blowing, 3 April 2005
Mrs. Doreen Harris (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
I brought this album because my cousin said it was brillant and she constantly plays it, so I brought it and yes I too have not yet put it down. Her voice alone blows you away. I love everysong on the album - which is not common for me. She sings with love and passion and you will find it hard to put down. I am now worried about my exam revision timetable which starts tomorrow!

1.0 out of 5 stars what a shame !, 2 May 2014
JEANETTE "lucas107" (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
Music is good, always liked Fantasia right from the start. The reason for only one star is because the cd that arrived is faulty. Contact seller twice and no answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it love it love it, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
I'm really glad I waited to purchase this cd. Although it's really old it still sounds fantastic. Big up Fantasia

5.0 out of 5 stars good R&B but with a modern twist, 17 Feb 2010
Gary Gilligan (St Johann) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Free Yourself (Audio CD)
I heard this your lady on a review in the states she had it hard but stuck to her guns and has become a top singer, there are so many around so she must have something special to stay on top, good mix of music and easy listening

Free Yourself
Free Yourself by Fantasia (Audio CD - 2004)