5.0 out of 5 stars Carlos Kleiber : The Revelation of "A legend", 27 July 2013
Nick BOCKEN (EKEREN Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carlos Kleiber: The Legend [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Why a revelation, because I never had the opportunity of hearing him live and I do not know why. The only 2 works I have on CD with hime, are "Die Fledermaus" and "La Traviata".
It was by accident during browsing on you tube that I stumbled on a rehearsal of the Overture of "Die Fledermaus". The intensity with which he rehearsed this overture (in the style of Karajan : insisting on the color of the sound, the exactitude of the score, his interpretation on the piece) made me realise that this great conductor really escaped my attention.
So I went on discovery on you tube what was available on video with him : I stumbled on a few video's and I decided to buy this box : am I happy that I did !!! Why : his interpretations are really faboulous :
- both new years concert (vienna 1989 and 1992) are real pearls : great colour in the sound, and a vivid, fresh interpretation
- the Beethoven symphonies 4 and 7 with the "Concertgebouw Orkest Amsterdam" are played in a traditional way of playing Beethoven (not the new, latest Beethoven interpretations), but with such "finesse" : wonderfull
- the DVD with the bavarian state orchestra is also interesting, particulary the 4 symphony of Brahms.
- but the best is the DVD with the combination of Mozart's 36th symfony "Linzer" and Brahms' 2nd symphony, certainly my favorite : why : the Brahms symphony, due to his choice of the tempi (not slow, but really vivid) and his colours, but then the Mozart 36 : this was really THE revelation : tempi not to fast, exactly as it should be, the colours of the orchestra devine (with wounderfull pianissimo in the tutti) and masterfull phrasing of the musical lines ... . This interpretation of Mozart 36 is the uttermost interpretation for me, non other recording can match this interpretation

5.0 out of 5 stars the title says it all, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Carlos Kleiber: The Legend [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
fabulous! a genius at work, a delight to watch and listen to

Carlos Kleiber: The Legend [DVD] [2004]
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available