Format: Audio CD|Change

Music of another era played on authentic instruments brings together the genius of St Colombe, Maran Marais,Couperin and of course Lully. Jordi Savall is in his element with this CD taken from the movie Tous les matins du mond; a though provoking, spellbinding film full of the rich, glourious sounds of the five stringed voil. An instrument that exudes melancholoy, passion and heartbreak. Just listen to "The Dreaming Girl."
The instrumental pieces are interspersed with young, innocent voices singing a traditional french ballad adding pathos to the CD. Coupled with the wonderful soprano solo, this evocative album is guaranteed to haunt you. If you chose nothing else, chose this.Experience the joy and pain of pure sound in the music of Tous les Matins du monde. Do not be ashamed to cry - I wasn't.
on 7 December 2000
This album is a soundtrack of a film.
It forms a best-of image of some of the more serious music of France's Louis XIV's court. The film dramatises the loves, tragedies, jealousies and careers of Sainte-Colombe and Marin Marais, who were both virtuoso viol players.
The music tracks this gloomy tale by showcasing this wonderful five-string cello. Capable of more mournful sounds than any other stringed instrument, the selection of themes would make excellent background music to a funeral parlour or a very intimate, gentle evening of fire-side wine enjoyment.
This is the entry album for the uninitiated to this nearly forgotten instrument and its soul quietening music.
on 29 December 2012
This music is from one of my favourite beautiful french films. When my grandchildren were small we called it 'the marching music' and we marched around the house to it at every visit. I defy anyone not to respond to the stirring Marche pour la ceremonie des Tures which is the first track. I asked my son in law to copy my cd to send to a five year old boy who has shown an interest and response to medieval music but my copy was too worn (years of playing it?) so I ordered a new copy and will take it to my friend's house next visit to see if her son likes it.... we will definitely be marching around the house!
on 20 June 2013
I saw the film which has become one of my all time favourites & loved the music. My daughter & her husband bought the CD for me for my birthday. The composers are Jean-Baptiste Lully, Marin Marais, & M de Sainte-Colombe. Jordi Savall is the musician & the music is French baroque.
on 14 November 2013
I remembered being impressed by this film years ago. Recently I heard a piece of classical music sampled by Nicolas Jaar and identified it as Marin Marais and identified it as Sonnerie de Sainte Genevieve di Mont de Paris and bought the soundtrack for this piece alone. The entire album is a gem and I have been playing it regularly since then.
on 11 January 2010
The SACD surround version is truly excellent. Very emotional and touching music played well and recorded beautifully, evoking the atmospheric qualities of the film.
This is not background music, you have to be receptive before playing it without any distractions, then you will appreciate it fully.
on 17 March 2015
The film is good, but even after checking that the film I had ordered was actually in English, since it was intended for my parents, I received the original version in French. I can view and enjoy the film, but I would have to give a running commentary for others.
I had a similar problem when trying to order the older 1973 version of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, which appears not to be available at all in English.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2014
I play this often when reading, it is beautiful and unobtrusive. When I memorize a book or melodies or songs I can't stand to hear it again, but here this is just wonderful listening. Enjoy!!
on 3 February 2013
Very good sound, interesting booklet. Classical and good to listening at night. I like it but this is not love. Only spring in heart but later it is autumn only.