4.0 out of 5 stars Another Special Edition?
To put it mildly, I get ever so slightly annoyed when artists bring out 'Special Editions' of their albums a year after the original release, with added tracks. The fans that have already shelled out for the first CD face spending even more money - and what for?
Published on 15 Nov 2004 by Sometimes Things Get Whatever

3.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, but not as advertised
Published 5 months ago by Tinus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Special Edition?, 15 Nov 2004
This review is from: Twentysomething [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
First of all, 'High and Dry' isn't a bonus track; it was on Pointless Nostalgic. 'Everlasting Love' and 'Frontin' have already been released as singles - if he wanted to put these on an album, why not his next one?
Don't get me wrong - I love Jamie Cullum. I own both his albums and listen to them all the time. It's the money-grabbing record companies that I hate.
If you don't already own this album, or you're a really fanatical Cullum fan, then buy this. But if you have the 2003 Twentysomething, then don't line the pockets of his record company even more. The 14 original tracks are sufficient to tell you that Jamie is one of the most talented artists around, and will be for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album!, 27 Feb 2009
Lindsey Lawrence "Gamegirlatheart" (Neath, south wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twentysomething [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
I first saw Jamie on Parkinson. Michael seemed really excited and as i love music, i was interested to hear what was coming. From the moment he tapped on his piano, i fell in love with him. I knew then that he would become very big. It was because of that performance i asked for the album for christmas and i have loved it ever since.

Some of the reviews seem very harse on here- how can someone review something they heard on the phone in a car? I've heard plenty of tracks waiting in a phone queue and hated them, only to hear the same track a few days later on the radio or on cd and love it. Some have also complained it isn't pure jazz- jazz is probably the most diverse genre in music as it alows other genres to influence the tracks. If you compare it to older jazz records, then yes this may be true, but this is jazz with a twist, and at the time of release, it was very different from what was on offer. I also agree with the reviewer that said about the special edition- that's the version that was bought for me, but it grates me to think they can do this. I bought viva la vida and a few weeks later, they released prospects march- how unfair is that?!

There is a mixture of covers and his own work here. You have upbeat numbers such as "i could have danced all night" to the ballads such as "blame it on my youth" (it was thanks to jamie i covered the song in a performance and got a high mark!). What i love about jamie is the fact that he can't notate music, yet he still manages to produce his own fantastic materials. It inspired me by making me realise that as long as you understand the music, then it will sound great, as he does here. I love playing this album on a sunday morning, during my lazy days in the summer, or when i want some me time- can't go wrong with a book and a cuppa whilst jamie gently sings in the background.

This is my favourite jamie cullum album, although i love the others as well. He's got a new album out soon which i can't wait for. If you need a lift, get this album- you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Special About A Special Edition?, 23 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Twentysomething [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
What's good about good-bye? Well, what's special about a Special Edition? "A music fan from United Kingdom" is not wrong with his/her take on record companies trying to (re)line their pockets with money from the fans that already shelled out cash in the first place.
That said, it should be noted that "Twentysomething" is stellar throughout, and that the bonus tracks are well worth having. "High and Dry" actually IS a bonus track, taken from the US version of "Twentysomething" and is quite different than the "Pointless Nostalgic" version (check out the drumming anchoring the tune). And for those of us in the US, "Everlasting Love" is only available on the Bridget Jones 2 soundtrack and "Can't We Be Friends" was only available via iTunes, so it is nice to have them all on one CD.
"Twentysomething" (Special Edition or not) is a must have, and Jamie is a talent that will be around for years to come...

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Twentysomething [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
This has got to be the best album I have owned in a very long time. I asked friends for recommendations as I wanted to try something new and someone recommended Jamie Cullum to me. I'm really glad she did as "All at Sea" from this album has become one of my favourite tracks of all time. There are many other good tracks on this album and it really is very much worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic listening..., 18 Sep 2009
D. Le Poidevin (Jersey, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twentysomething [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
Yes fantastic listening is to be had with this album from Jamie Cullum, I have owned the special edition version for 4 or 5 years now. This is only the second review I've ever left on here, mainly because I feel the balance of 3/5 ratings for this gem is so unfair... This album can only make your day brighter with it's uplifting melodys & feel good tracks, simply put in my humble opinion you need this in your life!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz is too big for the box, 28 Nov 2006
This review is from: Twentysomething [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
Never mind 'Is it jazz or is it pop?' Those of us who love jazz have been wasting our breath along these lines for longer than I've been alive. Does it work as music? Of course it does, and that's all that matters. I've just acquired some of the bossa nova recordings Stan Getz made with Astrud Gilberto, Luis Bonfa et al and I've no doubt the same sterile debate took place at the time about whether this could be proper jazz if it was so popular. Forget your categories, use your ears. If you do, you'll find that it's immediately obvious that Cullum is serious about jazz. His choice of material alone proves it. Devil Moon and Kick Out Of You might be obvious marks, but you can hardly say the same of But For Now or Blame It On My Youth which require a lot of conviction to sing with a straight face. As for Singing In The Rain, don't talk to me about respect for the material. It's a song by a third-rate songwriter turned producer that we only remember because of what Gene Kelly did with it. The liberties Cullum takes with the song definitely improve it.

And of course he's a good pianist, who doesn't show off as much as he could on this album (check out Catching Tales for real inventiveness). The solo on Kick Out Of You gives some idea though, as it's almost an exhibition of jazz piano styles from Monk to Shearing to Evans and probably a few I haven't noticed, as well as his own quite unpredictable moves. There's also some very surprising stuff on High And Dry. Pop song it may be, but I think McCoy Tyner would appreciate this performance.

And what's wrong with his voice? He doesn't sound like Sinatra or Joe Williams, but why should he? He does sound English, even on standards, which is a hard thing to pull off and something to be encouraged if jazz is a really universal music, which it is. His voice doesn't have a lot of weight, but his range is pretty good and he can sustain some very high notes. Try singing along with Everlasting Love or High and Dry and you'll soon find your limitations. The truth is that many jazz aficionados of the more traditional kind are uncomfortable about vocalists in the first place as they tend to become popular, but I like to see a talented instrumentalist put vocals at centre stage.

And furthermore, it's not just about Jamie. What about Geoff Gascoyne and his marvellous arrangements? Gascoyne and Cullum have surely steeped themselves in West Coast and small group jazz of the late 50s, Gerry Mulligan, Shelley Manne, Charles Mingus, Gil Evans - witness Devil Moon and especially Can't We Be Friends. What's not serious about that, considering that that whole side of jazz was unfairly neglected for about thirty years?

OK, I rest my case. Buy this if you want to hear jazz reaching a mass audience with absolutely no compromise, and perhaps you won't have to spend the next twenty years explaining what jazz is to people who've never heard any, like we all have for the last twenty. You know it makes sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, quirky and brilliant, 18 Aug 2007
Brian Levine - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twentysomething [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
So the last reviewer based his review on listening to one or two tracks down the phone? Hmmm...

This album is superb from start to finish: Jamie's voice is passionate, youthful and earthy and his musicianship unassailable. The little bits of his personality that edge into each song make it highly personal and make you smile.

The songs penned by his brother are particularly good, because of their freshness: 'Twentysomething' is extremely good: just check out the lyrics and you'll realise he's singing about YOU!

Buy it and enjoy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, but not as advertised, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Twentysomething [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
Heard the CD at a friends place and saw a cheap 2nd-hand offer. Advertised as 'very good' quality, but arrived in mediocre condition. I have bought other 2nd-hand CDs and they turned out fine. I don't mind the battered box, but I wasn't very pleased with the scratches on the disk. Fortunately the disk hasn't looped or lagged, so it seems to work fine. I can't really complain given the low price, but advertising it as "very good" just isn't true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twentysomething, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Twentysomething (MP3 Download)
I have wanted this album for some time and just haven't got round to purchasing it. I finally did so with some vouchers from Christmas and it is as great as expected, am loving it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius! so original, passionate and moving, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Twentysomething (MP3 Download)
so original, passionate and moving, Jamie Cullum is an inspiration and will be creating great music for many many years no doubt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Twentysomething [Special Edition]
Twentysomething [Special Edition] by Jamie Cullum (Audio CD - 2004)