5.0 out of 5 stars A master piece just better
Published on 6 Jan 2005 by Anders Staunskær Vedel

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Album Shame about the SACD
I bought the LP version back in the seventies and played it to death. Later I bought the cd version and played it often. I even used this to take to hi-fi demos when looking for new equipment as I knew what sound I was looking for. I then bought the SACD version and after trying to get into it a couple of times I can't. [...]
Published on 16 Jan 2007 by Mr. Alan Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars A master piece just better, 6 Jan 2005
This review is from: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
Unlike many Elton John fans I consider this album to the best of his along side Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Maybe that is connected to the fact that this was the first LP I can remember putting on my dad's grammofon when I was tall enough to reach the buttons. From the age of 4 I put it on constantly. I made sure that I got the original poster and booklets from the album when my dad disgarded his LPs. By then I had the remastered CD. To this day I think it's one of the finest album I if did hear. But now at the age of 22 I have found a substitute for my much played CD.
Captain Fantastic in SACD!!!
There are so much more in this album yet and it is all reveiled in SACD. It becomes an even more emotional and sincere record. I thought that was impossible. The title track has always been a favourite of mine and like all the others it shines even more. Throughout the album the Davey Johnstone's guitars, mandolins, you name it, have been given a boost. Personally I think the piano is more subdued but still dominantly pronounced in the ballads.
What I like the most is the crystal clear sound and the backing vocals. There are so much more nuiances in the entire album. You can litterally hear that it is Lennon singing back vox in the chorus of Lucy'and Nigel, Dee and Davey's bakcing voxs are sounding more superb than ever. Really suberp, recording artists today could or have learned from these guys.
I wont bore you any more. Just go ahead and replace your CD but keep your LP for sentimental reason. This is the ultimate edition of a master piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Job Done!!!, 28 Nov 2004
This review is from: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
Nobody reading this needs me to tell them what a great album this is. So let me just say that the surround SACD mix is superb. Greg Penny, who made his debut with the 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' SACD and is now halfway through the classic EJ catalogue, has got the new art of 5.1 mixing down to a fine art, subtle, varied, building and clever - but always working towards emphasizing the overall emotion of the tracks. I've waited ages for this particular album to get the treatment, and am delighted that such a good job has been done. The surround mix of 'Honky Chateau' is also incredibly successful, so I'm looking forward now to slowly replacing all of my 70s Elton John albums with these massively superior surround versions. Penny is working from the instruments that were on the original master tapes, so all that has really changed is the spatial arrangement of those instruments - and the increased resolution of the tracks, of course - so it is amazing to hear things that you had never heard in songs you've loved for decades. With so many artists mysteriously hesitating over getting in on the high-res surround sound revolution, I can only thank everyone involved with this Elton John series for getting their fingers out and making it happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton's Pinnacle, 19 July 2005
A. Engberg "adam9440" (Oxford, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
This is quite simply Elton John's finest work and it even puts Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in the shade. From the opening bars of the title track, you know you're in a for a treat and at no point does it disappoint, with Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Better Off Dead and We All Fall in Love Sometimes being absolute masterpieces of the John / Taupin partnership.

If your experience of Elton John is mostly his newer stuff, then this album will take you're breath away. This was Elton John at the height of his powers and so good were his albums of this period that they carried him right through the last two decades which have been decidedly mediocre in comparison.

Captain Fantastic is one of those albums which stands the test of time - I've had it for over 20 years and still rate it as one the best albums in my collection and I play it frequently even now.

For that reason it truly deserves the five star average rating it gets on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Fantastic Shines Again ! ! !, 28 Jun 2005
This review is from: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
Regarded by many of Elton's ardent fans as a masterpiece,alongside his absolute classic Goodbye Yellow Brick Road:Remastered SACD/+DVD,"Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" is a journey all on it's own.The album is biographical with all of the songs detailing Elton and his longtime lyricist Bernie Taupin's struggle during the early days of their career.
Containing the hit single "Someone Saved My Life Tonight",and the classic closing track "We All Fall in Love Sometimes/Curtains",this album is a must for anyone serious about the music of Elton John who may also want to know a little of the story behind the success.
Now on to the SACD re-mix/re-issue.
What a fantastic job Greg Penny has done remixing the album into 5.1 for SACD.Anyone who owns Elton's back catalogue may do well to start replacing the 1995 remastered issues with the far superior SACD sound.This edition also has the bonus tracks included on the 1995 re-issue making it even more value for your pound.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive EJ album!, 3 Jun 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
I just love this album - first released in 1975 it showcases Elton John and Bernie Taupins's mastery of lyrics brilliantly. It also demonstrates EJ's ability to inject real atmosphere and imagery into his singing. The most famous track from this album is probably the single "Someone Saved My life Tonight" - the "someone" is thought to be a reference to Long John Baldry who persuaded EJ against a potentially unhappy marriage that may have undermined his music career. Everything about this album is perfect, including the sleeve graphics, and, although, the tempos vary every track is solid gold. Buy it, transport yourself back in time to 1975 and bathe in the waters of nostalgia.

The three additional tracks on this SACD are all gems too - real added value in addition to the sonic advantages of the format.

In my humble opinion, probably one of the best albums ever made, and, in my view, certainly the best EJ album of all time. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive EJ album!, 3 Jun 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album & Nice To Have On SACD, 27 Mar 2010
This review is from: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
I can still remember buying Captain Fantastic on the day of it's release back in 1975. And still vision the posters of the truly great Artwork Album Cover plastered all over the record shops windows. The album went straight to number 1, and it was the fastest selling album ever made in it's day, and the first album ever to achieve this status. The album it self is one of Elton's finest and certainly is Fantastic without a doubt. This SACD is actually the 4th time I have purchased this album. I first had it on vinyl as you can gaver by the fact that I bought it on it's release. Then I purchased the bonus tracks CD version of it in 1995, and the 30th Anniversary 2 CD Edition. And now finally the 2004 SACD. There are major differences between all 4 recordings.

First up the Vinyl Album 1975. This is to me by far the best recording of the album without a doubt. This is simply because there are certain sounds from Johnstone's guitar on this album, that project dynamics, that for some reason are not audible on both CD releases and the SACD. The album Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy as been implanted in my brain ever since the day I first heard it. I'm not bragging here but I know the album backwards, and I sure know what I'm hearing on this vinyl album, that cannot be found, not even the SACD given the fact that it is in 5.1 and crystal clear as some people are already stating.

The sounds that are missing, or rather fail to project properly are very minor, and the only way for you to listen to what the hell I'm talking about here, is if you have the vinyl album along with the CD or SACD. There are quite a few differences I can point out, along the path of the album, but I'm gonna make it simple here for you to hear the difference for yourselves by using one example. Play The Tower of Babel and listen to the very last lead section from Johnstone's guitar at around 4 minutes and 6 seconds, and you should notice it instantly. The vinyl projects the sound far greater and is way better in dynamics than what you will hear on the CD and SACD.

Now for my review of the SACD in 5.1.

Well I must say that I love multi channel surround formats, more so than stereo these days. I find that as a rule they are far more clearer in sound, which is down to the fact of it being projected from in this case 6 channels, which adds a lot more to the separation over conventional 2 channel stereo. The album Captain Fantastic is very good in 5.1 but far from perfection. I feel that some of the more slower and ballad tracks, such as Writing and We All Fall In Love Sometimes are amongst the best of tracks to be done in 5.1 along with the albums title track. But however the more up tempo tracks such as Bitter Fingers and Meal Ticket I think should have been given more attention to them. Once again I am missing something here with these tracks, that I feel, comes over far better in conventional stereo, than the way they have actually mixed these 2 tracks into 5.1. I feel in parts they have destroyed the stereo field that they had originally coming from the front speakers, by putting some of the key elements into the rear channels. Giving it an entirely different effect and newer approach to the way I am used to hearing this album. I must say its gonna take some getting used to, because it's lacking the balls and power of what was in these tracks orignally, done in this way, in comparison to the original album.

The album Captain Fantastic is great in 5.1 on SACD. But really only fantastic on certain tracks. Over all its a very worthy purchase, but I feel that it could of been done better, and should have been, given the fact thats it such a superb album. It's far from anything bad hence the 4 star rating I have given it here. The review I have given here, is based on the album tracks alone, and not the bonus tracks. If your like me and into multi channel surround format I would still highly recommend it, because there are certain tracks along its path that do come out better than the original album that's for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
Really like these SACD discs nice to be enveloped by the sound, but did expect to experience a bit more separation between the speakers. Still haven't heard anything that compares with the mix on the Eagles DVD ' Hell Freezes Over'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Sep 2013
The packaging and the CD arrived in good condition. And I love the album, I have searched for ages for it then tried Amazon got it second hand good price and good CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
Amazing music from a-z. Elton at his very best. Includes extra songs. Worth every penny. SACD in full 5.1 surround. Stynning sound quality. Would buy again any time.

ARRAY(0xaa294d08)

Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy
Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John (Audio CD - 2004)