5.0 out of 5 stars Fan-dabby-dozy-tastic!
Having just bought the album today, I've listened to it three times already and it gets better every time. Faster and less acoustic than the last one ("The Sash my Father Wore and Other Stories"), it completely lives up to the high standard that Ballboy have set for themselves with their previous work.
I was interested to hear what, if any, effect that the new...
Published on 22 Nov. 2004 by Mr. R. Bhaskar

3.0 out of 5 stars production kills the lyrics
Published on 1 Jan. 2005 by Charles A. Provencher

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan-dabby-dozy-tastic!, 22 Nov. 2004
Mr. R. Bhaskar (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Royal Theatre (Audio CD)
I was interested to hear what, if any, effect that the new keyboardist Alexa Morrison would have on the album, and, to be honest, I can't really hear any difference from Katie Griffiths, which, to be honest, I'm perfectly happy with, since they still sound fantastic.
Particular highlights on the album are "The Art of Kissing" (available as a single for free download from [...]) which has an irrepressibly happy tune, and some rather depressing lyrics, and "Shallow Footprints in the Snow", which reminds me more of "Sash".
Summing up: a great album for newbies and old fans alike.

3.0 out of 5 stars production kills the lyrics, 1 Jan. 2005
Charles A. Provencher (Stanton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Royal Theatre (Audio CD)
It's tough being an American fan of this great band. I usually find out about their new releases a month or two after the fact. In this case I'm quite dissapointed. I think it's primarily the production that kills it for me. On most of the songs you have the guitars and bass brout to the forefront, with the vocals somewhat muffled. The lyrics are what helped ballboy become what they are, and here they lose their presence. Songs like "The Ghosts of New Orleans" would be amazing, yet you can barely hear what's being said.
I wonder how the loss of John Peel will affect the band's ability to get noticed. It's a sad loss in many ways. I still believe in them, and will continue to be a 'rabid American fan'......

The Royal Theatre
The Royal Theatre by Ballboy (Audio CD - 2004)