4.0 out of 5 stars When it is good, it is very, very good ...
On balance , this is a must-own for ELP fans but not for its entirety: there are parts that are very, very good and others that are not. I recommend ownership on the basis of the stand-out material.

I bought this album on vinyl when it was first released. My immediate impression, seeing how it was structured, was that it indicated that the band was breaking up...
Published 3 months ago by Stephen Reid

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange musical sarnie.
This album is made up of 4 sections, 3 made up of seperate pieces made by each member and the 4 part tracks by the full band. Each track, on it's own, is brilliant. However listening to the whole thing is a bit strange. It's like a meal where you have all your favourite things on one plate. You may like steak, ice cream, chocolate and prawns but you don't want them all on...
Published on 12 Jun. 2008 by DARREN "Big Nose" WALKER

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your money unless your dedicated., 27 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Works: Volume 1 (Audio CD)
I have in the last year or so become very involved with the progressive genre. Bands like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd Jethro Tull and Rush all appear on my computers playlist, yet for some reason ELP never really featured. Therefore when looking in HMV one day I flipped through the ELP section. Admittedly I knew little about what to go for so I picked up what appeared to be a proper release, not on of the many An introduction to.... or The story of.... titles.
I was bittterly disappointed, rather than be greeted by blazing keyboard solos of Keith Emerson and classicly influenced rock, I got what sounded more like folk songs by Greg Lake and a twenty minute long concerto opening the firts disc. The second sounded dated and mediocre.
As a new generation fan of this genre, I suppose that I expected something different not having a view in context, yet I got what is clearly an album that acted as a catalyst for Punk Rock a few years later. Prog is definitely a brilliant form of music, and I can safely say that other ELP releases are much better such as Brain Salad Surgey, yet here it would appear they slipped up. Unless you are very into hevil classical progressive, stay away.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont judge a book by its cover, 13 Feb. 2005
Ian Jenkins (Newport, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Works: Volume 1 (Audio CD)
By my own admission its the not greatest thing they have ever released, but its worth the purchase price for Greg Lakes Hallowed be thy name, "This planet of ours is a mess I bet heavens the same". The only really awful bit of the album is Carl Palmers foray into Jazz(pauses to spit) the rest is okay but average.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 April 2015
This review is from: Works Volume 1 (MP3 Download)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not touch with a bargepole, 9 Jan. 2009
D. Hall "Toro 451" (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Works: Volume 1 (Audio CD)
This was given to me as a joke present.
I actually listened to it in full and couldn't beleive someone wouild spend money on this tosh.
Imagine my growing horror, when a full Whistle Test rerun of ELP 'on the road' appeared on BBC2 the other Friday.
It very nearly ruined my entire New Year, I thought I'd died and gone to hell.

Works: Volume 1
Works: Volume 1 by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (Audio CD - 2008)