on 17 March 2009
Owl - Woodcraft Construction Kit

This is a very interesting kit to build. I'm retired and find this sort of kit helpful in keeping my brain and hands nimble, but I doubt if youngsters could complete it with some parental help, especially in selecting the order of assembly. A simple printed paper plan of some of the sub-assemblies would be useful.
on 27 July 2010
I bought this for my son (aged 9) to do during the summer holidays. It was a fun and challenging project for him and he really enjoyed doing it. It took him a few hours and he was very pleased with the result. The instructions are basic, but he worked it all out by himself. Can't beat it for the price and there is no glue/painting involved, so no mess either! I don't think my 7 year old daughter would have managed it though, so would recommend for kids from 8+ Will definitely buy other kits from this range.
on 10 January 2016
Ordered it along with 3 other things. horribly packed. items were about to fall out of the box. was not even taped well. for the first time was shocked with amazon packing.
now the owl:
I was this (puts finger up as a scale of measurement) close to ripping the whole thing apart and going to bed. I love doing puzzles. All the time. Jigsaws , rubiks cubes, building and construction. I love them all. I was fascinated by this one on the internet and the owl looked cute enough to try.
While everyone was away partying on the 31st of Dec I sat to do this. There is very little instruction that comes along with the product itself. you can start with it but as you proceed it could get confusing. So head to the quay website here : http://www.quayimports.co.uk/e038.html
which gives you step by step instructions. That makes it pretty easy.
Attaching pictures so you know what to expect. The instructions say use glue if desired. God Almighty I say they should supply one with their products. I spent 7 hrs trying to do it without the glue thinking I was doing something wrong and when I was almost done it would all fall apart. I felt like a complete failure the 37 times I tired to do it without the glue. Yes I was adamant. I was about to give up and then go to bed when I decided to give it one last try using a bottle of copydex that I have. I started gluing the pieces one by one form the very beginning and voila! I LOVE MY OWL!! :-D.. It then took me just about 45 minutes to get the whole thing done. Also cos I pretty much knew how to set the whole thing up having failed previously. It is now a sturdy very cute looking own sitting at my computer desk and I c it as I type this.Even if you take apart all the pieces, the sheets are numbered and on the website it is detailed correctly. The feathers at the back and front ,some of those are interchangeable and with the glue they fit just fine. I say buy it! For this price you wil not regret it. It is fun to build it. But word of caution. Keep the website link opened and a bottle of glue handy before your start. It looks great without painting it although I want to. Will be difficult to paint it now that it is all done. Lets c.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 6 January 2014
I ordered a few of these, the owl for my 11 yr old daughter, the apache helicopter and jeep for my 13 yr old son. What a fantastic present at a great price. We have had the easier ones before (dinosaur, spider) and the owl was like the next step. She was very daunted when she opened it and said how am I going to do that, but I was determined to get her into something and complete it. She is quite arty, so likes to do things like this, but she still needed me guiding her and it was lovely for us to sit down together at this age and do something like this. You get sheets of wood with all the pieces ready to pop out, then a corresponding sheet with all the pieces numbered. Then it's basically start at no 1, which has 2 pieces marked with number 1 and they lock into place with each other, then no 2 into no 2 and so on. We had a few bit where we thought we had gone wrong, as they didn't seem to hold together, but carry on, you do get bits that suddenly interlock and pull it all in. We did have to glue a few bit on this one as the 'feathers' seemed to fall out easy, but that wasn't a prob, just normal kids glue. Be careful how you pop the bits out otherwise you can break some edges off, we didn't have this prob but I've seen a few people say they did... ease them out! The end result was fantastic and my daughter was so happy that she had achieved it, her owl is now pride of place on my fire place :)
on 7 January 2011
I bought 3 of these as something to get all 3 of my boys to make something special by themselves, however this didn't happen. I bought a squirrel, rabbit and wolf for boys aged 10, 12, 16 - the 16 year old managed to do the squirrel, and this was the smallest of the three, although I didn't know this until it was complete. The 12 year old had a lot of help with the wolf as it was very fiddly and some bits fell out after placement and needed gluing, the instructions were very basic and I'm not sure a child would be able to follow them. The 10 year old got the rabbit, didn't realise this was the hardest! it took my husband and myself together to work it out then we agreed that some bits just would not stay unless glued and others seemed to stick out too much - needless to say we completed it for our son - he liked it but it was a shame it was so hard - with very poor instructions for children to follow. They all look lovely and it is a great unusual gift idea, it did keep my boys off their consoles for a while, but I wasn't expecting to spend so much time helping! so be careful which one you buy if for a child and be prepared to help - a lot!
on 17 January 2016
Bought as a present for 8year old daughter and it proved too difficult for her and was left to my wife to complete. The instructions are simple (once you have mastered the concept) but looking for the numbers on the sheet can make you dizzy! There are a mind boggling number of pieces to put together (but for the non perfectionists out there - you can get a few pieces in the wrong place and it still looks great) My tip is that if you think you need some glue then you've probably got it wrong.
Incredible design though, would like to think it was designed by a human but I think a computer may have been involved somewhere...
Good luck!
on 29 October 2015
gorgeous price and looks cute too I hope when built its a Christmas gift and I think I will drive someone crazy as from what I just experienced with quay phone book theres no real instructions hope your good at jigsaw piecies lol the piecies aren't numbered weither so yoube got to lay them all out and guess which one is which and follow the numbered on the sheet even though the bits aren't numbered think quay needs to work on instructions better at least number the piecies somehow so its easier.
on 1 February 2009
This owl is so pretty I keep her on my mantle shelf. She provided hours of interesting creativity for my 13 year old granddaughter and would keep anyone from the age of 8 upwards entertained. Amazing value!
on 14 January 2013
Bought as a Chirstmas novelty gift for an adult who enjoyed putting it together and has since painted it. Packaged well and delivered quickly. this was an ideal gift for the person concerned and for someone who has everything else perhaps. Fun item at a fun price. Many thanks, will use this seller again.
on 7 April 2014
Arrived on time but unless you are any good with craft or construction beware. There are so many pieces to press out of the light wood sheet it overwhelming I put it back in the envelope where it has stayed as do not think I would manage all the tiny tricky parts. I really thought there would be much fewer pieces, not for the beginner.