‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Finish smoother than glass, however meguiars bars could be larger, 16 Jan 2011
L. Calcott (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
Claying is simply the secret to that glossy finish you see on brilliantly detailed cars. I had read about it for a long time and seen amazing results with people that had used it, however the price seemed a little high for my liking but I thought i'd take the plunge and give it a go.

Well how glad am I for that! It left the surface of my 'black magic' Octavia vRS completely mirrored and had that really deep wet look finish that I desired. The clay itself was so simple to use and because it isn't abrasive there is no right or wrong way to clay really providing the surface is 'wet' and the bar isn't grabbing. A small tip - If the bar 'grabs' and doesn't glide along the surface it is because the surface isn't lubricated well enough, the quick detailer included worked brilliant as clay lube however I used a fair amount claying the entire vehicle but what else could be expected? This was probably the first time the car had been clayed and surface detailed which became apparent in the amount of s**t on the bar which I had to remould about 20 times during the claying.

This has definitely transformed the way I look at car care and detailing now and claying will be included in my quarterly detail.

However I do not think I will be buying the meguiar's clay bars again as I have read brilliant things about Bilt Hamber's soft clay bars which are about the same price as the megs re-fill bars however can be used with water as lubricant and not expensive quick detailers and also the bars weigh a lot more than the meguiars bars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning end results, 16 Feb 2012
Parker Pen - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
If you wash your car week in week out with your standard sudsy bubbles and handy sponge, you could well surprise yourself , and give this stuff a try ! When you THINK your car is clean, try try the "bonnet test"! Lightly run the back of your hand over your bonnet and you can feel tiny rough areas , that is the engrained contaminants that are attacking your car every time you turn a wheel!

Try using the clay bar over your car, after you buff your paintwork dry, then wonder like I did, how did all that gunge get there, and why is it not visible to the naked eye? How come all those contaminants that turn the bar orange and brown ,oxides etc, sit on the lacquer and are unseen?

Basically, using a good liberal amount of the detailing spray and rub the bar over each panel, then dry off with the soft towel.

Proceed to use the polish and buff it all off again , then feel the difference over your bonnet, the back of you hand will feel the smooth mirror shine, and no gritty bits!

It is pricy but worth it, worth doing every couple of months at least, more if you have a very pricy car that gleams and it will stay looking amazing much longer with this little kit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it! You'll be surprised!, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
I know I was. I washed my car properly (or so I thought) and then clayed it. I couldn't believe how much nasty stuff was left after even a thorough wash! Clay helps to get rid of all of it.

This bigger set comes with 2 bars (I agree with one of the other reviewers, they could be larger), large quick detailer and small ultra quick wax, which lasts surprisingly long.

Ideally, I'd like this thing to be a few quid cheaper, but all in all it's still good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit - 2 clay bars, 16 oz detailing spray, & a microfiber towel - Outstanding results for us, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
Purchased the kit and have been amazed by the results! Following the kit's directions, we washed the car, applied detail spray and clay to small areas at a time, worked each area until the roughness was gone, and then put on a coat of wax. From start to finish, the job took 2 - 2.5 hours and the result was outstanding. Highly recommend this stuff, with a good waxing afterward.

Was time for our daughter to get her first 'new-to-her' car, and we ran across a Pontiac Sunfire that a dealer had taken in trade... low miles for its age, but the thing was uuugly. Maybe the former owner had a paint shop? The car had layers of clear, tan, and white overspray on it. Weird... but good for me. I ended up negotiating the price down to a ridiculous level and carefully drove that car home (hard to see through the windows).

A couple of weekday nights -- that's what it took to completely clean the Sunfire with this Meguiar's clay kit, and the end result was way beyond even my expectation. I worked on small areas at a time... seriously small, like under one square foot, and here is the process used:

* Wash the car, rinse well, and lightly dry
* Pick a starting area (mine was the roof) and a starting point (center-front)
* Spray the to-be-worked area liberally with the detail spray (helps loosen contaminants from the paint)
* Work the area with the clay; tight circles of uniform pressure
* The clay slides around on top of the spray, picking up contaminants. Keep the work area wet with the spray.
* Fold the clay over on top of itself as it became soiled; try to use unsoiled clay as much as possible
* Liberally spray the work area as you go; if the clay is sticking and not sliding easily, the area is too dry
* As one area gets clean, move to the next... body, windows, taillights, headlights, wheel rims -- we had to do everything
* When finished with the cleaning -- wash, rinse, dry, and then give your car a good waxing

If you would like to see before & after pictures, please navigate to the clay bar's main sales page, scroll down to where the "Most Helpful Customer Reviews" section starts, and look to the right of that area for the "Product Images From Customers" section. Seriously dramatic difference after cleaning with the bar and then waxing.

There was one last step... my buddies had seen the "before", so I invited them over to see the "after" as my wife and I presented the car to our daughter. For the most part, the guys were so shocked that it took a cold brew (or three) to revive them! Needless to say, our daughter was thrilled (why she nicknamed the car "Daisy" we'll never figure out).

The results provided by this excellent product are directly related to the amount of time and effort put into the job. No magic here; not gonna get a new car look with just a light spray-on and hose-off effort.

If you are willing to put the right amount of thought and effort into the job, we are sure that you will be quite happy with your results too. Highly recommended product!

Go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
I was sceptical at a clay bar kit, initially thinking it would be difficult to use. I bought as had tar spots on back and sides of my car, and could find nothing else that would remove them. This takes minimal effort and I had the whole car done within 40mins. Great for removing visible and invisible paintwork contaminants. Paint work feels great!

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
easy to use and now comes with even bigger clay bars, clays bars are easy to mould and work great

5.0 out of 5 stars ace product, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
didn't really believe this was as good as it claimed but it was better

really does pull off contaminents on the paintwork that I hadn't noticed.

its a bit like magic

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, 30 Sep 2010
Bought this more of a trial than anything and the result was me being speachless!!

Its true the little rough/smooth on the front of the box i thought it was a gimmic but i was wrong.

I bought this Step 1 and Step 2 (Step 3 has a sample in the box) and done my car.

The result.

I don't want to drive it now as i dont want to get it dirty!!

It takes a lot of time but the looks that i get driving down the road is well worth the 6 hours worth of work!

All girls like shiny cars ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for us newbies!, 1 Oct 2014
Philip Soden "Phiso" (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
First time I've tried clay and this kit made it easy. Wonderful finish! I used one bar and most of the spray on a large estate car. Remember to take your time and look at some videos of how to clay bar before you start.I split the bar into two and discarded one part after dropping it (when I had nearly finished!). They clay is very fine so doesn't cause any scratches but it's harder to remove any large deposits such as tar. Great kit, especially for beginners!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced!!, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Automotive)
Well, it's the first time I've left a review for a product but, this has to be one of those times when all the "hype" about using clay to polish a car is justified!!
Who'd have thought it? Had the car was and dried at the local hand wash yesterday and as usual it looked very presentable but, having read the various reviews on Amazon & car owners forums I thought I'd just try the smooth version of the clay since my car was already very presentable, ordered yesterday afternoon and this morning the goodies arrived - for a mere 70p postage!!!
Basically the box contains 2 chunks of clay in their own little box, a bottle of spray to lubricate the paintwork while you gently rub the clay bar on the paintwork dragging off more muck and yuk than I ever thought possible given the clean state of my car, then a quick spray with the (rather small) bottle of wax and a buff with the microfibre cloth which comes with the kit.......... job done and comparing the door I "clayed" to the rear door I've yet to do it's both smoother to the touch and the shine looks far deeper, total time? About 20 minutes, calories burnt, about 5!! It's that easy!!
5 Star product and 6 star service from AP Motors - next day delivery on something so bulky for only 70p, outstanding!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›