on 15 September 2009
I, like many others, had heard horror stories regarding the reliability of Sigma lenses and the issues surrounding their quality control process, so I was very wary when I purchased this lens.

I had no reason to worry.

This lens is solidly built and, despite taking an absolute hammering during the time that I've owned it, it still works as reliably and accurately as it did on the day of purchase.

The f2.8 aperture is great, although obviously it does give a very shallow depth of field when shooting macro work. I use mine with a Canon MR-14EX - although it requires an additional adapter for this to fit (the MR14 attaches to the filter ring & the filter ring on this lens is a little too large, hence the adapter). The lens comes with a removable tripod mount and lens case, as well as a lens hood. The autofocus is not as quick as on some of the Canon lenses, and with the extended range that comes with the macro functionality, it does seem prone to "hunting", but the focus range can be reduced using a switch on the side of the lens which goes a long way toward resolving this issue.

Image quality is stunning - it certainly rivals the L series lenses in my camera bag - I have yet to see a shot taken with this that has problems due to the lens (my ability, however, is a different matter).

A great lens that I have never regretted buying, and that I have no qualms in recommending to others. Works well on both full frame cameras (e.g. Canon EOS 5D, & 5D mk II) & crop body cameras (e.g. Canon EOS 500D, 50D, 7D)
on 26 May 2009
Very tight lens. I've been using this on my 350D and it works excellently as both a prime and a macro lens giving very sharp detail throughout.

I'd been debating between this and the Canon 180mm Macro, but this hits all the right buttons and costs a lot less.

I'm just off down the garden to find all the creepy crawlies, nothing is safe from me now.
on 20 March 2013
all good. Nice and light. Was initially wary of focus as other reviews said it was slow. I haven't any probs
on 19 April 2013
Excellent lens, does the job I want it to do, But I do wish it had a stabilizer on it.