4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding. Get it????
Published 11 months ago by A. M. Adams

1.0 out of 5 stars Top Gun 3D
Awful, No terrible, no very very bad...seriously this is abysmal.

Other reviewers said the 3d was grainy. People moan all the time about minor quibbles so I ignored them. Wow! were they right. The picture is not only crazily grainy to the point it looks pixelated, the colours are totally out of whack and bizarre. Faces almost look like the photo negative end of...
Published 11 months ago by Denton

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding. Get it????, 4 Aug 2013
A. M. Adams (Kent) - See all my reviews
Whilst I enjoyed the DVD, the Blu-ray was a great improvement, both in picture and sound. However I was a bit dubious about this 3D version seeing that the film is getting on a bit and very often when an old film is converted to 3D it turns out to being a big let-down. I therefore hired from Lovefilm (another Amazon company, what company isn't these days?!!!!!) to save a bad purchase. Well, I shouldn't have worried as this 3D effort is without doubt an excellent 'flight' into the 3D world. At times there is some 'ghosting' and out focus problems around the edges and mainly the corners, but in the main it's a great effort. So, you know what? I think I will be buying this very soon, so I can not only be surrounded by sound but have jets flying round my ears as well!!!!!
Let's hope, in time, the same tech guys make 'Flight of the Intruder' into 3D as that would be great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comments on the Blu Ray version of TOP GUN., 10 Dec 2008
P. Gilligan "wotaweapon" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Top Gun [Blu-ray] [1986] (Blu-ray)
Paramount's Blu-ray disc of Top Gun is clean and crisp, getting the most out of John Schwartzman's slick cinematography. The disc is liberally slathered with DS and 5.1 options in English, French and Spanish. Savant's viewing reminded him very much of the original multi-track experience, which definitely had the audience in its pocket.

Jerry Bruckheimer gathers his director Scott, writer Epps and some military experts for the commentary, while a multi-part docu Danger Zone covers the making of the film. Tony Scott provides an optional commentary for a storyboard comparison, and an extra docu The Best of The Best lauds the expertise of the Navy's elite fliers, excuse me, aviators.

Top Gun's appeal was due in no small part to its hot soundtrack, and the disc includes music videos for Take My Breath Away, The Top Gun Anthem, Heaven in Your Eyes and Danger Zone, which shows up every time the planes go into action, as if programmed into the automated cockpit environment. Top Gun was criticised for grafting MTV glitz on a Military back drop, but nobody's denying that the mix isn't effective.

TV spots, more EPK featurettes (one on survival techniques) and Tom Cruise interviews finish up this great package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Top Gun [Blu-ray] [1986] (Blu-ray)
Excellent quality, the sound and picture are brilliant. This is an old favourite,

I would definitely recommend to a friend

4.0 out of 5 stars ok, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Top Gun [Blu-ray] [1986] (Blu-ray)
Like all blu-rays when compared to watching the DVD version or an old video one watching this film is a clearer, more detailed experience and in many cases it's like looking at the film for the first time as the film stock used to transfer to Blu-Ray is usually "worked on" first to get as good a copy as possible.
My taste in films may not be the same as yours so if you want to know about this film I suggest that you use the internet to find 2 or 3 reviews by experienced film reviewers and make your judgment whether to buy this film or not.
I have watched approx 600 films in my life and have a collection of over 200 Blu-Ray's and I rate this one 7/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Gun, 29 April 2013
item received in time I love the front cover the only thing I don't really like it's the picture in 2d not as good as I was expected but anyway I don't regret the purchase at all

4.0 out of 5 stars Great on blu-ray!, 2 Sep 2009
A. J. Kirkham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Top Gun [Blu-ray] [1986] (Blu-ray)
Excellent special effects for a 23 year old film. Blu-ray adds to it keeping the images as crisp as possible, film itself was pretty good, not the best ever but fantastic action movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful pictures and scenes, 28 April 2009
J. Lempens (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Top Gun [Blu-ray] [1986] (Blu-ray)
Nice views, most of the scenes are very sharp. and nice music in the picture it self.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, 18 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Top Gun [VHS] [1986] (VHS Tape)
This is my all time favourite film. i have watched it over and over and just love it to pieces. it has a mixture of romantic moments, moments that make you cry, excellent camera filming, action moments and loads more. it is a fab film to watch and i know that if you watch it, you too will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking, 13 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Top Gun [VHS] [1986] (VHS Tape)
Simply the best film of all time. Cheesy and corny are words which probably sum the film up best. Classic lines ("I feel the need... the need for speed") and a cracking soundtrack. If you haven't seen this film yet then you're missing out on one of the best peices of American machoism ever produced. Buy it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Present I could have bought him..., 28 July 2006
Ms. R. Barnes (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Top Gun [Special Edition] [DVD] (DVD)
I never would have watched Top Gun, but my boyfriend (who just happens to be into planes) was shocked that I hadn't and immediately rented it out for us to watch!

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest!

Tom Cruise was excellently cast in the lead role as the cocky, yet loveable, Maverick. And Kelly McGillis isn't the typical leading lady- she doesn't play a bimboish young girl that we so often see in films these days.

Her character is a smart, sassy lady, in a position of authority at Top Gun. (Although she does sport a rather fetching Eighties hair-do!)

The films scenes of dogfighting are so well choreographed. Anybody with a remote interest in planes will appreciate it and men generally probably would be impressed!

The love story throughout however, keeps the film from appealing only to a certain audience. Women- you will be able to sit through the fighting scenes knowing that they did not make up the entire film!

It is fun. It is a classic. It is not as predictable as you might have first guessed, trust me. I was surprised!

Not flawless obviously. There's no such thing. This Special Edition has an improved quality etc. of the actual film and loads of features on the second disc which are great if you enjoyed the film.

Worth a look and this is actually quite a good price (5.97) for a DVD. (This also has 2 discs.)

I will end by saying that I bought this edition for his birthday... after seeing how he leered after the rental, I had to!

He's watched it around 16 times... Enough said.

Top Gun [Special Edition] [DVD]
Top Gun [Special Edition] [DVD] by Tony Scott (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: 1.95