on 9 January 2010
We had two shut the boxes for christmas a bigger one and this small one. Initialy i thought the size was too small but it is great for taking out and about. The children and adults in the extended family love it and get very competitive trying to shut the box - and the chldren dont realise it is helping with their mental maths - Brilliant. my 10 and 5 year olds love it and their cousins 13, 10 and 8 years love it so much i am going to have to buy them one too.
on 24 March 2014
Not really well finished but great fun, the nine year old loves playing it and gets it out almost every time she visits. I like having these small things around that can entertain the grandchildren. It can be played with competitors or as a solitaire game.
on 23 November 2015
I bought this as a travel game to keep my girls amused on holiday. It's nicely made, smoothly finished in a pale wood as shown. You throw the dice and flip down the wooden number tabs according to the numbers you've rolled on the dice, and try to get the box shut in the fewest possible moves, The lid will only close when all the number tabs are down. It requires some basic arithmetic, but appeals to all ages and can be quite competitive.

The problem is that the lid doesn't stay closed unless you store it in the cardboard sleeve in which it comes. If the lid opens of its own accord, there is a strong risk you'll lose the dice, and then the game is useless. I don't know whether the larger size comes with some kind of a catch or also relies on being packed away, however for this smaller size which is so likely to be used for travel, it should definitely have a catch.
on 16 December 2009
I first saw this toy years ago and fell in love with it, this one is not as big as the one I remember but is ideal for small hands. An enjoyable way to pass the time or used as an educational aid. You can devise your own variation on the original game for educational purposes.
on 15 February 2011
this toy is brilliant! It is great for both adults and kids alike. My two kids played it for hours whilst stuck at an airport last year for 8 hours!
on 9 January 2012
I have the 'big' version of this game, so this was perfect for my little grandson...who likes to play it with his granny.
on 5 March 2015
My 3 Grandkids absolutely love this. Even the youngest who is 5 in April 2015, is so happy now she understands how to play the game and she can manage to add the numbers together, so it's educational as well. Useful for times when waiting for meal, when sitting at table in restaurants etc..
on 5 February 2016
I am rather disappointed with this , although I t did match description. I have a travel shut the box, which was given to our daughter who is now 34, and was made in plastic with a click ,flip lid and find that that at about 28 years old is much easier for carrying as lid is securely shut so that dice can't fall out. It is however a very good game and has helped our children and all the children who I have minded over the years with number recognition and addition.
on 2 May 2011
Excellent for helping my daughter get to grips wih addition and subtraction - she just sees it as a game! I like the simplicity of it and being pocket size means we can take it with us in the car etc. Another bonus is there is not a battery to be seen anywhere!
on 17 February 2015
Never played the full size but I think this is great. From reviews I was expecting it to be tiny but it seems right to me. Played it with an 85 year old with Parkinsons and he didn't seem to find it too small.