5.0 out of 5 stars Ice man cometh to melt hearts.
Can it really be over twenty years since this delicate, captivating animation graced the screens of the fledgling Channel 4? As a voice-over announcer with the station I have introduced The Snowman many times, along with its permutations such as 'the making of' (which I'm glad to see is a bonus programme included here) yet I've never tired of its pastel wintry landscapes...
Published on 13 Dec 2004 by garyterzza.co.uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Cropporama
The Snowman was, and still is, a fantastic animation for Christmas, and until last year, was shown in it's original aspect ratio of 4x3.However, with this being the digital age, somebody has taken it upon themselves to convert this classic into widescreen, by brutally cutting off the top and bottom of the screen. This leaves many scenes with heads and faces missing, and...
Published on 25 Dec 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a classic that never gets old, 1 May 2008
This review is from: The Snowman [DVD] (DVD)
this is one of those films that no matter how busy you are in the middle of the Christmas rush, if it comes on TV you will stop everything and sit down to watch it. Buy it and bring a little Christmas magic to your children. My dream evening of animated classics indulgence would be watching this film and Suzie Templeton's more recent but equally magical Peter & the Wolf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Film. Wonderful Blu Ray, 18 Nov 2012
I bought The Snowman on Blu Ray off Amazon last week, having read some reviews of it here, but deciding to purchase it anyhow. So, without further ado, here's what I think:

Picture: 9/10. The picture quality gets a solid 9 from me. The film has been wonderfully cleaned up for this Blu Ray release. On that note, I was very lucky in that I had my standard DVD copy of this to watch before watching the Blu Ray and, I tell you, the difference (with the Blu Ray quality) is incredible! A wonderful, beautiful job done in cleaning the film up. Well worth the purchase for that alone, in my opinion!

Sound: 10/10. Yes, the sound gets a solid 10 from me because, as anyone knows, you view the film through the sound... the music score, literally. With this Blu Ray, the sound is wonderful, beautiful and does not let down at all.

FLAWS.

Yes. There are flaws with this Blu Ray release. Quite literally, they concern the introductions to the film and the 16:9 'cropped' version. Basically, the introductions to the film can be either given by Raymond Briggs (the author of the book), David Bowie (acting as the boy, James, recounting how he made The Snowman and got the scarf from him) and Father Christmas, who is voiced by Mel Smith, recounting how he met James. This Blu Ray release features these said introductions, but only as Special Features. None of them feature in the film - it just 'begins'. Honestly, this really didn't upset me, but I can still see why so many of you were a bit dismayed with this; the disc clearly had the space to feature an introduction from somebody!

Finally, the film is presented in a 16:9 widescreen format, or, the 'cropped' film, as many of you term it. Now, as I've mentioned, I watched my original DVD copy, which features Bowie's intro and is shot in 4:3, and I did prefer that one, in terms of presentation. I saw the flaws many of you point out with the 16:9 version. In the heel of the hunt, they really could have put both versions on the one disc, including intros... but didn't. Oh, well.

Anyhow, to finish up, The Snowman on Blu Ray is well worth the money, despite the flaws. The film has been wonderfully cleaned up, so if you do like your picture quality, I totally recommend the purchase, that is, if you're willing to see past the flaws. Either way, I was... and I feel that I came out very happy indeed!

Buy it.

Thanks for reading my review. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood imagination has never appeared so clearly, 6 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Snowman [DVD] (DVD)
A young boy builds a snowman on the verge of Christmas and late one night, the snowman takes him on a journey.

If we are very lucky, then it will snow. It may not be at Christmas but the magical effect snow has on us never fails to cheer us up and it creates and brings back memories.

This charming Raymond Briggs tale tells the story of a boy who builds a snowman on the eve of Christmas and the pair go on a trip around the country and the world.

The simple concept of building snowmen is something that anyone of any age can enjoy but this animation short is all about James' imagination.

Christmas is the best time of the year for any child for the imagination it conjures which is justified in this fantastic film.

Santa, reindeers and the mystery of presents is something any child anticipates and they are able to appreciate the delicacy of imagination.

Any viewer will utter a gasp when we first see the snowman has come alive and from there we are treated to a truly magical festive tale of imagination and exploration as the snowman and the young boy share time together.

This festive cracker looks at differences in life styles. We see the snowman adapting to the human's life by examining all their household items such as clothes, freezers and a joyous motorbike. Then we see James exploring the life of the snowman when he visits the North Pole where Father Christmas and many other snowmen are gathered in festive celebration. These differences are quite remarkable, almost material against personal possession which gives the film a sentimental depth.

This 1982 animation is remembered for one of the saddest moments in festive cinema history and the flinching moment never goes away no matter how many views it takes. 27 years on and it is still as significant as it was, a timeless piece of film.

The fact that there is no dialogue through out the half an hour makes it unique and special. It communicates through the movement and actions of its characters, particularly James who is now an iconic character.

His character continues to be debated today. Lonely? Friendless? Imaginative? All possibilities and the fact that the film finishes so dramatically, it leaves plenty of questions unanswered which are a joy to work out.

This festive film is a timeless classic through its semiotic imagery and its wonderful depictive version of childhood Christmas.

10/10

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What It Says On The Tin, 3 Dec 2007
D. Doyle - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snowman [DVD] (DVD)
This is billed as the version which is introduced by David Bowie. It isn't. It's the version with Mel Smith as Santa Claus at the start. I know this because I bought it a few weeks ago, and am currently in the process of returning it. Amazon is guilty of misleading advertising by billing this as the Bowie version. The Bowie intro is included in the extras, but stops after 1 minute and 43 seconds. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, best animation I ever saw, 13 Nov 2002
J.J. Simoes Sereno (Middelburg, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snowman [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I first saw this animation here in Holland on 27 december 1984.
Because this winter was very snowy and cold (snow lasted well into april over here) this movie also remembers me of a cold snowy and cosey winter.
I was already 15 years old, but was moved by this story of the boy (James) and his snowman, which came to life.
The way it is made, the story itself, the appearance, the music and song and character of both James and the Snowman (without any words spoken!) are displayed in a superb way. Even though it is an animation, this one touched my soul like I have never witnessed before.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Snowman, always and forever a classic!, 20 Nov 2003
Raymond Briggs` finest art and everyones favourite snowman has come to life once again. And what a wonder it is.
Myself, being in my early twenties have many fond memories of watching The Snowman. I dont think there has been a christmas gone by without the film being watched on christmas eve. Its magic captivates young viewers to this day, including my 3 year old neice to my whole family. This wordless film tugs on my heart strings and gives me a lump in the throat (and the odd tear)through animation and music. When you hear the title music it takes you back to your childhood at christmas and makes you feel excited all over again.
Many christmas traditions pass by these days, moving along with the modern world. But one of these traditions seem to stretch on for generations and im sure that it will still be celebrating success for many years to come.
Im glad they are re-releasing the film this year, enabling more and more people able to enjoy this film this coming christmas.
I know what want in my stocking this christmas! Cross your fingers and close your eyes and you might be walking in the air on christmas eve...

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 8 Jan 2011
Back in the 80's Christmas really began for my family with a showing of "The Snowman"on TV. I bought this for my two grandchildren (aged 2 and 4) probably to try to re-create the magic. It worked - they sat entranced!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, 18 Dec 2003
Richard White "withnail101" (London) - See all my reviews
Every so often a film or programme comes along that immediatley becomes synonamous with a time of year or event. Such a film is The Snowman.
I remember watching it as a child on its release all those years ago (21 years to be precise) and being instantly captivated by it from start to finish.
If you dont know (and I cant believe that you dont), its an animated film adapted by the Raymond Briggs story following the exploits of a little boy who builds a Snowman in his garden.
At night the Snowman comes magically to life and takes the little boy on a trip to see Father Christmas. Its impossible to say how spectacular and atmospheric the flying scenes are.
The animation is hand drawn and absolutely beautiful and there is no dialogue, just a perfect musical score giving the viewer all the feedback he or she needs.
Now its my own childrens turn to be captivated by this movie and we watch it over and over at Christmas time and never tire of it.
Do yourself a favour and curl up in the warm at Christmas with someone you love, put on The Snowman and witness some real magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A viewing pleasure, 7 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Snowman [VHS] (VHS Tape)
My inner-city schoolchildren love this movie so much. The children beg to see The Snowman and the book has quickly become the most favorite in the library. The music, annimation and theme of love and friendship is exactly what humanity needs these days!

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, 19 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Snowman [VHS] (VHS Tape)
'The Snowman' is one of the ultimate Christmas films, ranking up there alongside 'It's a Wonderful Life'. It hasn't dated at all, probably because it could be set any time in the late twentieth century. Even 'Walking in the Air' is tolerable in its magical context in the movie (NB - the version in the film doesn't actually feature Aled Jones). So all I can say is 'Get this video before Christmas' - it's best watched on Christmas Eve - ideally with snow falling outside! And I defy anyone with a heart not to feel a little tearful at the ending.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa251c48)

The Snowman [DVD]
The Snowman [DVD] by Jimmy T. Murakami (DVD - 2004)
3.90