4.0 out of 5 stars Come dip your toe into the darkness

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Come dip your toe into the darkness, 7 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Ok, so hardcore fans of the man will already have these tracks. For those of you like me who don't actually own any Manson but have enjoyed the odd release here and there this is a godsend (maybe not the best choice of words!). All the major releases seem to be on here, not necessarily the best songs but the best known. If you liked "Disposable teens" or "Fight Song", "mObscene" or "The Beautiful people" as individual songs but never felt the urge to go out and buy the whole album, get this... I don't think you'll be disappointed.
What really makes this though is the inclusion of the DVD. Marilyn is renowned for his striking image and videos and to get all these videos on here with the album at this sort of price is amazing! The production on the DVD is very good too - there's a lot of effort gone into producing quality menu screens etc and the whole thing feels like a professional effort - not simply a lot of promos strung back to back on a DVD for the sake of it. You could have released this as a stand alone DVD release and still charged £15 for it on its own! But here you get it for free.
So I'm not the biggest MM fan in the world, but if like me you fancy just dipping your toe into the darkness to see how it feels, you can't go far wrong with this release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this for the DVD, 18 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
In general, I am not a big fan of so called 'greatest hits' albums. They are a cheap way for record labels to release a 'new' album and make more money without the artists having to bother writing any new songs. This particular edition of 'Lest We Forget', however, must be one of the best buys I have made all year.
Whoever decided to include a 20 track DVD (supposed to be 21 but my version is missing Autopsy...) with the CD for only a couple of pounds extra was a genius, and it is for this reason alone that the CD is worth buying.
Upon hearing that Manson was releasing a greatest hits album, I had to groan, the words "sell out" echoing round my head. Add to this the fact that I already own all the studio albums and more, and I couldn't think of any reason to buy this CD apart from to complete my collection. However, if, like me, you already own all the songs on this CD, then I can honestly say that the DVD is worth so much more than the asking price. It has some of his fantastic earlier videos on such as Sweet Dreams, Tourniquet and the trippy Dope Hat, as well as The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell which, to my knowledge anyway, had not previously been released except on the MASH soundtrack.
I'm a huge fan of Manson, and I think that nearly all of his videos are excellent, and with no previous method of viewing them (apart from low quality internet videos) this disk is a god-send. It is nicely laid out, with all tracks being organised into albums, so you should know where everything is. It also has an onscreen discography, should you ever need such a thing.
DVD aside, the CD is a fairly predictable affair, with all of his most popular songs on there. There are a few nice surprises in the form of opener The Love Song, The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell and The Reflecting God. However, most Manson fans will already own all of the songs on here, The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell, as I mentioned earlier, being the only one that is slightly harder to find.
If you're new to Manson, and just want to fin out what he's all about, then this is a good place to start, and the cheaper version (minus the DVD) is a fine way to start if you don't want to spend too much. However, for the fans, this is a dream come true. Come on, all of his videos together in one disk; you know you want to...

4.0 out of 5 stars This is actually quite a decent CD., 10 Oct. 2004
C. Smith (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I ordered this CD because I knew about five or six of his songs and I thought they were great.
When I got this CD I wasn't really sure about the rest of the songs on the album at first, I listened to them once or twice and didn't think much of them but since then I have listened to it about six times and I now think that this CD is quite amazing. I always thought that Marilyn Manson produced depressing music. But know I know I'm wrong.
There are some amazing tracks on this CD, some standout ones include, "The Beautiful People", "The Dope Show", "The Fight Song" and "Long Hard Road Out Of Hell".
The dvd features the majority of his videos (NO TAINTED LOVE!), 21 in total and also has a small photo gallery and the track listings for each of his major release albums.
I would strongly recomend this CD if your into heavy metal or rock, it is a very good greatest hits collection from one of the 90's most bizarre artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars The two halves, like a cloven hoof., 4 May 2010
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Most fans of Marilyn Manson will agree that his attraction lies partly in the intelligence, honesty and power of his music, and partly in the stylishness of his visual assaults. This little package delivers old and new fans both. Covering only his commercial successes (presumably reviewers that cite this as a criticism have never bought a "best of" album before or are missing a pattern), and giving new fans easy entry to the dark orifice he has created, it is no overstatement to say that this may well be one of MMs best value offerings.

I'm having trouble accessing the Photo Gallery in the "extras", but i'm extremely pleased otherwise. There seem to be different editions, make sure you buy the one with the banned "(s)ain't" video. If you wondered why Frankie's Relax or The The's Infected got banned, you will thank the Reverand for raising the benchmark.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Anti-christ has earnt his dicsiples!!, 15 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
MM has been the centre of attention in the music industry for the best part of 10 years now! But Marilyn Manson has a talent that no critics can strip from him!
MM has a raw talent to reach his fans with such passion and with intense, complicated lyrics that come easily to people prepared to actually take some time out to devise the meanings to his songs!
Besides all the baffle and numb accouts I can give you for this review, "The Lest We Forget" has song that even townies will have known of and possibly even liked!... I'm not a goth and don't even socialize with goths. But Manson has carried me through some truely agonsing times in my life so I at least owe him this review!!
If you decide to ignore my advice to go out and purchace this album you will never know what you're missing!
"An awesome bible of Mansons Anti-Masterpieces!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Manson Strikes Back, 30 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
This isn't really a best of or a greatest hits collection coz it contains all of the singles, from Lunchbox to Personal Jesus. Personally I would have preferred a collection of Manson's own favourites from all of his work, on which we would have seen the likes of My Monkey. The DVD I got does not feature the Autopsy video, what happened to it I have no idea. The disc I got also fails to include the commentary featured on the cd case, again no idea as to why it is missing.
In all a good collection of songs but I could have done with less of the stuff from the Golden Age of Grotesque, Holy Wood and Mechanical Animals cd's in favour of some earlier stuff and perhaps something from the old Spooky Kid days. But then again, we never get everything we ask for.
A worthy cd for anyones collection and a must-have for completists.
On a final note, I though the video to (s)AINT was far to excessive, even for my depraved tastes, it does nothing than to serve as shock tactics, something I was hoping Manson had grown out of over the last 13 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection of tracks from the worlds greatest rock star, 25 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Marilyn Manson is world wide famous for his explicit and controversial antics. this great album is a fantastic selection of his songs, some taken from his first album 'Portrait of an american family' which dates back to 1994 others dating right to the present day (personal jesus).
If you are a fan of MM's then you will know that his music has gradually changed over the years (just compare his first album to his most recent), yet you still get that hard metal drum,bass and electric guitar in every song, so don't get worried.
Personaly, i think 'PERSONAL JESUS' 'THE REFLECTING GOD' 'BEUTIFUL PEOPLE' and 'DISPOSIBLE TEENS' are the best songs n the album, although they are all good.
gET READY TO HEADBANG!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Manson at his very best!!!, 31 July 2009
I. L. Ferreira "Docinho" (Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Getting this limited/special release of Lest We Forget is a very good deal for Manson's fans. It features very good CD songs, plus two bonus tacks, but it's the DVD itself that makes this worth to buy. All the clips are uncensored, and the (s)AINT video. never officially released, due to its contents is awesome! If you have a chance, I strongly advise you to put your hands in this masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars The DVD, 8 Oct. 2004
sam (Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Brilliant CD for in the car but Although I love Marilyn's Videos I do think that as a lot of youngsters like MM they should definately be protected from the DVD. It is quite simply VERY Graphic in places, My eyes popped out!!!
I have hidden it from my kids so please protect your children and bear it in mind.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any (potential) Manson fan!, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Lest We Forget (The Best of...) [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
This CD contains most of the biggest hits manson have had through ten years, including Personal Jesus and two bonus tracks. Not only that, but you also get a DVD with most of the music videos released during those ten year as well. When you press 'play all', they all play in chronological order from newest to oldest, even including the controversial, uncut '(s)AINT'. These is also a few easter eggs, including a short film and a behind the scenes featurette of 'mOBSCENE'. There is also a photo gallery.

Even if you own all the studio albums by Manson, you should get this, mainly because of the DVD. Plus the cover art is just amazing :D This was the second album I got after 'Antichrist Superstar' and I feel this can also be a nice start on the way to become a Manson fan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›