5.0 out of 5 stars Ah!, 9 Sep 2010
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hosianna Mantra: Remastered (Audio CD)
This is one of Popol Vuh's most distinct albums, partly because of the relatively unfamiliar line up. The guitarist is Conny Veit, whose neat, sighing notes contrast with the jangly style of Daniel Fichelscher who plays on most of the later 1970s albums. In addition, Robert Eliscu of Between contributes some lovely oboe. 'Hosianna Mantra' is also much lighter and more uplifting than the other early albums, though there is a subtle layer of sadness here and there. Florian Fricke's piano is more prominent than usual and his classical upbringing is more evident as a result. This is certainly not a rock album. His cascading lines on 'Ah!' are a delight, as is the yearning feel of 'Kyrie'. The long title track is, however, the main highlight. The album is divided into two sections, the second suffering slightly by having to follow such a strong opening but is nevertheless excellent. The bonus track, 'Maria (Ave Maria)' is, by the way, nothing like the 'Ave Maria' most of us are familiar with and has rather a lilt to it. Not an instant album, but a beautiful one which repays further listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Krautrock at a new level....., 12 Nov 2011
A Customer (liverpool. uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hosianna Mantra: Remastered (Audio CD)
The first few times I heard this LP, I was sceptical - my initial thoughts being that it was music by & for hippies,(which in my world was not a recommendation).

I came to Popol Vuh via their contemporaries Can (and the BBC4 Krautrock documentary) and after a few more listens this music finally 'got me'. Now I think it's some of the most beautiful music ever made.

Had I been younger, I might not have appreciated this music (due to it's lack of energy) but Florian Fricke was so far ahead of his time it is unbelievable.

This was the group's 3rd album (from 1972), the first 2 were mostly free-form Moog based drones. This one is very different - pastoral and acoustic - maybe it could be described as psychedelic folk music. The occasional (unintelligible) and celestial female vocals are not lyrics, but part of the ambience created by Florian and the group. I find it strangely calming, even spiritual (which was probably the intention).

I think I would give this album 10 stars if I could - after I heard this, I bought every other Popol Vuh album. Just about everything they did in the 70's and early 80's is worth hearing.

If you are new to the band, don't bother with a compilation album - none of the ones available cover the diversity of their repertoire.

Buy this CD if you want understated, piano driven, beautiful music - you will not regret it in time.

Florian Fricke is truly a neglected legend - he deserved so much more recognition.

Hosianna Mantra: Remastered
Hosianna Mantra: Remastered by Popol Vuh (Audio CD - 2010)