4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but..., 23 Feb 2005
By A Customer
as always, the hype machine puts me off. The songs are good, the sound is big, but, being a fan of bands such as Lightning Bolt and The USA is a Monster, both of which are 2 piece bands who knock the spots, sonically, off these guys, I get annoyed hearing the reviews of them as if they are the only loud two piece band in the world. I've given the album 4 stars, that's because I do like it. I'd also like to point people in the direction of Load Records and Lightning Bolt, another bass and drums duo who are actually the loudest band I've ever heard live. Without the aid of a PA. They have less obvious songs than these guys, but I think everyone should hear them, if just to put an end to false claims that these are 1) the first and 2) the only such band around. Sorry is this came off as a little elitist, it wasn't meant to be. Buy this, then buy Wonderful Rainbow and Ride the Skies by Lightning Bolt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh man, it's the avant garde white stripes, 21 Jan 2005
SJ Cowan (Lincoln, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You're A Woman, I'm A Machine [Us Import] (Audio CD)
Don't let the title put you off, the reference is a weak attempt at a comparison based on the simple nature of the group set-up; bass and drums essentially.
Like the White Stripes, these guys have pulled melody and songcrafting to another level, showing that you don't need multi-layering to achieve a cool sounding album. It just works.
There are no real standout tracks, and to attempt to single out tunes would be pointless as the album works as a whole anyway.
Please let these sounds into your lives, you know you deserve it...

5.0 out of 5 stars The album of 2005 already????, 19 Jan 2005
This review is from: You're A Woman, I'm A Machine [Us Import] (Audio CD)
They eat the White Stripes for breakfast, and any other 2 piece band for lunch and dinner, Death From Above 1979 so amazing it's almost unreal. The bass is so heavy and fuzzed up, and the songs are so sexy and cool. Truly original compared to most other bands at the moment. What can I say? Get it and rock out!

5.0 out of 5 stars genious, 26 Jun 2007
James Ward (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
easy to compare them to the white stripes but its so much more, firstly ten times faster and sweatier, secondly seb can seriously drum. The times i've seen them live have been amazing, and a lot of the energy of their live performances comes across here.

Every track is outstanding, but romantic rights, little girl and blood on our hands really stand out. Also do it on the second cd, a raucus live fave. A lot of songs about sex often in a crude and disgusting way, perfect for crude and disgusting people and a really smooth banging sound. With the new wave of dance/metal this is still better than the lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relentless!!!!, 16 Mar 2005
T. Green "tegagram" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great album. Its not very often that you buy an album and expect every track to be as good as your favourites. But on this they all are!! Every song is a mini-masterpeice in its own right. Its heavy, its fresh, and its under 10 so what are you waiting for?...you need this record in your life!!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a band!!!!!!, 7 Mar 2005
What an awesome album. As I am sure most of you are aware this band is just a drummer and bassist duo. I know the first thing that comes to mind is it sounds like a bad white stripes rip off. However these guys sound nothing like the stripes. The bass lines are awesome and make up for the lack of guitar. The drummer is fantastic as well and the drummer's vocals have a raw aspect to them which works perfectly. The best songs on the album are the singles 'Romantic Rights' and 'Blood on our hands' so give these tracks a listen if you want to get an idea of what the final sound is like. This album should be cranked up and given your full attention. It rocks. The only reason I have not given it the full 5/5 is that at just over 30mins it is a bit short for my liking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got to be in the right mood!, 11 Dec 2013
I like to listen to this band little and often.

Sitting down to listen to the whole album in one hit doesn't work. But blasting along the motorway (highway) with this blaring away does.

I never ceased to be impressed by the depth of sound these guys produce with just bass guitar, drums and some footpedals.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Stunning", 26 Jan 2006
Stunning is the perfect word. I doubt you will find a band quite like the - creating indie rock music with a kick. Each song has an incredicble meaning to it, and they are able to create beats where it will be offensive to not nod your head to it. Romantic Rights, I suspect will be soon be popular amongst student clubs, its just a matter of time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for a Lifetime, 15 Oct 2005
Mr. C. C. Barrett "worldismyoyster" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I wholly agree with the review that says we will be listening to this in decades from today with the same admiration. This duo has enough energy to captivate and invigorate a stadium full of people, and that energy is generously distributed through their music. First exposure to this album was a little unsettling at first, but I went to see them play live early this year, bought the album and it is still one of my favourites of the past year. Do yourself a favour; support these two and ensure the state of music for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome awesome awesome, 22 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: You're A Woman, I'm A Machine [Us Import] (Audio CD)
bloody amazing band and EVERYONE should listen to them. this album only proves that.
amazing live aswell - they are both geniuses, and i love them alot alot A LOT

You're A Woman, I'm A Machine [Us Import]
You're A Woman, I'm A Machine [Us Import] by Death from Above 1979 (Audio CD - 2004)