5.0 out of 5 stars New dimension for under-rated singer songwriter
Joseph Arthur has been quietly gaining a deservedly fine reputation for his emotionally raw, yet very well crafted songs. Breaking away from the RealWorld label, where he released the excellent 'Come to Where I'm From' and 'Redemption's Son' amongst others, he has added a richer more polished layer to his honest lyrics and affecting music.
None of the tracks reached...
Published on 13 July 2005 by J. Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
This cd was a promotional copy and not originally described as such. I cannot import the cd into my itunes
Published on 13 April 2013 by ian lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars New dimension for under-rated singer songwriter, 13 July 2005
J. Taylor (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
None of the tracks reached me as immediately as favourites, such as 'In the Sun', 'September Baby' or the beautiful 'Honey and the Moon' but soon enough a few gems appear. 'Echo Park' and 'A Smile that Explodes' are standout tracks in an album that rewards the listener throughout. Some tracks may be more geared towards an American audience, such as 'Leave Us Alone' but there is plenty to keep the British listener entertained.
Appearing on lauded soundtracks such as the OC and Shrek 2, and supporting REM, his unique style and gravely voice have already won him quite a few fans but this new album should see that growth continue. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joseph will remain, 21 July 2005
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
Having been aware of Joseph Arthur through his connection with Peter Gabriel and the song "In The Sun", I'd always meant to buy one of his cd but it's only this year that i have finally got around to doing so.
This album is a real mix of thoughful low key tracks such as "Stumble and Pain" to more upbeat and positive tracks like "Even Tho". Musically Joseph combines folk, rock and pop but there's far more depth than that.
The records takes a few listens before the melodies take a real hold but perseverence certainly pays off.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 12 July 2005
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
Joseph Arthur amazes again. The lyrics, melodies, everything. He is one of the most amazing (perhaps the most amazing) artist out there. I recommend all his work and a trip to see him in concert.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but his least best album, 8 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
Now, I guess my interest in Joseph's music must be more uncommercial, becuase people seem to agree that this album reaches a greater audience yet it is my least favourite album. I mean, dont get me wrong, it's still good and full of talent and quality, with about 5 stand out tracks but the reason why I don't rate it as high as the others, which are almost all 10/10 is because for me it's less acoustic and a lot more electronic (not in a dancy way) than the others. I guess also for me it's not melodic enough. That's proabably why I think the live, more acoustic versions, are better. Best songs- smile that explodes, leave us alone and even tho.

Overall, still a good album, definitely worth buying if you're a JA fan but if new to him, check out Redemtions Son, Big City Secrets, Come to Where I'm From and pretty much any of his EP's, if you prefer more straight forward acoustic melancholia with an experimental/rock edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite marvellous, 8 Sept. 2005
Sean Davies "staticking" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
I've been a fan ever since I saw him one sunny afternoon in a deserted New Bands tent at Glasto, about five years ago now...
Went home and immediately bought the current album at the time (Come To Where I'm From).
I was absolutely hooked, and his subsequent records have just built on this.
I must also insist that everyone goes to one of his live 'one man band' gigs, the man is a genius.
Anyone that saw KT Tunstall on the mercury awards will laugh aloud at her quaint, rather paltry attempt to immitate Mr Arthur live.
It is a testament to his skill as a songwriter that many of his songs sound even better when it's just him onstage, looping and layering,
than the slightly polished versions found on the albums; and they're a heck of a lot better than most singer-songwriters can dream of!
Just buy already!

5.0 out of 5 stars underrated artist, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
Jospeh Arthur is not only a master of loop station in live performances, but also a great songwriter...only check to his masterpieces here in this album...A Smile That Explodes and Leave Us Alone! Great

5.0 out of 5 stars the most BEAUTIFUL music i've heard EVER!!!, 10 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
This is one album I can't stop listening to! Joseph has a style that is uniquely his own. Every song is brilliant, it may take several listens before you truly appreciate it though! My favourite song is "even tho" (catchy beat!) closely followed by "echo park". Buy this album, you won't be disappointed. If you are you don't know genius when you hear it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 14 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
What a great find, I first discovered JA's "A Smile that Explodes" on an acoustic compilation and was completed bowled by it's slightly chilly and drowsy vibe which immediately struck a chord. I bought this album on the strength of that song and although "A Smile..." is not indicative of the rest of this album, I've begun to love it nonetheless. "Can't Exist" is an almost perfectly formed song. Another favourite is "Even Tho". This guy has got a fantastically real voice and I would strongly recommend this album just on those three songs alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars His best since his first, 7 May 2005
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
After a stunning debut album, it always seemed slightly downhill for Joseph. Each album always had 2 or 3 classic tracks (don't get me started on a 'Best of' disk) but this one is pure class from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars JA's best, probably, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
Our Shadows Will Remain is, in my opinion, Joseph Arthur's best and most unified album, even surpassing Redemption's Son and Nuclear Daydream. It is superb; Arthur at the height of his creative powers, both musically and lyrically. The album really needs to be listened to from start to finish, non-stop to get the full effect.

Our Shadows Will Remain
Our Shadows Will Remain by Joseph Arthur (Audio CD - 2004)